Genetic Counselor

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Genetic Counselor

Postby klryder02 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Has anyone seen a genetic counselor?

My sister and I went today..and unfortunately, he didn't tell us anything new.

My oncologist already told me a few months ago that he was pretty sure mine wasn't genetic, but wanted me to see the genetic guy anyway.

It was interesting though. This guy is in Dallas, and told me about a study of about 80 people, all of them younger than 40 (this was in the early 1990s) that was in Dallas. They were trying to find some kind of link..but didn't find much. The past couple of months, I have been convinced mine is due to my diet. Being 27..I'm part of the "fast food generation" and have never been a very healthy eater. I told him that today...and he told me not to beat myself up about that...because mine is just a random thing. He said that there is nothing that I did to cause this.

He is a preventative colon cancer research doctor...so all of his time is spent with colons!

He did say that they are following a lead that a certain virus may be linked to colon cancer. Similar to this HPV thing that has just popped up the last year or so.

Another good thing is that I am now in his research group...so maybe one day a little part of my case will help them figure out something.

So, has anyone else had an experience with a genetic counselor? Also, I am curious as to if you personally think there is a cause to your particular colon cancer.

I know most of the people here are not doctors..but I know most of you must have some "theory".
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:40 am

Hi...I am going to see a genetic counseler Thursday....I'll let you know how it goes!
Maggie

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:52 pm

I saw a gentics counselor last December. The information at this web site pretty much sums up what we discussed.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/hnp-colon-cancer/index.html?

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”