oxi and swimming

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Carolyn JB

oxi and swimming

Postby Carolyn JB » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:28 pm

This may be a very dumb questions but I am only on Chemo #2, but the last one the side effects - cold sensitivity - wore off by the iddle of the next week. IF that happened again, could one go swimming?? In and indoor heated pool?? I know they are still pretty cold but.....One of the nurses said if I went swimming at all I would probably feel like I couldn't breathe?? Anyone have any experience with this or any input???
Carolyn

gocatsgo

Postby gocatsgo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:23 am

I wouldn't! But that is just me! I could hardly breathe cold air!

Good luck!

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi, Carolyn -- I am a swimmer and swim every day. I would encourage you to try it and see how it goes. If you are having a so-so day, you can work on technique or swim slowly. I am only taking Xeloda, so I am not in a position to advise you on Oxi, but if you doctor agrees to it you should experiement with swimming and see what works for you. As we say on another site where I participate, "happy laps."

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:58 pm

hi,
i went swimming while on 5fu,oxy, and avastin last summer when my kid was out of school and i did good. the water was sort of cold and it did not really bother me. when you first get in and water is on chilly side you get a big chill sensation but then it goes away once you start moving around. swimming is such good exercise and exercise is good for us cancer people. i have to say i did better in the gulf of mexico swimming cause it was 90 degrees but the pool is not bad just have to get over the weird tingly sensation at first. have fun!

missjv

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:22 pm

I was advised not to go swimming. Not because of the Oxi, but because of the risk of infections from the pool. Apparently because it is a moist area, it is a petri dish for germs.

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

wendy21

swimming

Postby wendy21 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:27 pm

I went swimming last summer while taking rounds 6-10 of FOLFOX + avastin. I swam in our outdoor pool and in a lake in Texas. Both situations had relatively warm water. For me the water didn't cause any tingling problems although the sunlight was a problem on my skin! Also, my feet were so numb that I had to be careful not to hurt my feet (stepping on rocks, etc) because I couldn't feel them.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 am

I got my Oxi in the summer. I could swim during my "off" week if I stepped into the water and didn't feel any tingling. I'd be wary of a heated pool because of bacteria.

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:04 am

As I previously posted, I have been swimming nearly every day, but I am only taking Xeloda. I do think that Magnolia has a point well taken about the bacteria in the pool. For the past two weeks I have been suffering through a nasty UTI that seems to be resistant to antibiotics. I think that the radiaiton tenderness should have been my clue that it was time to start walking for exercise.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”