newbie---waiting

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Myra

newbie---waiting

Postby Myra » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:03 am

Hello eveyone,
I'm very new to this. I had a colonoscopy two days ago. The doctor told my husband that he found a 5cm mass, 95% chance of it being malignant, but won't know for sure until after he gets the report back from pathology. I am a very youthful 41 (40 is the new 30, right?) I have two small kids, ages 6 and 8, and I'm in my second semester of nursing school. Well since the colonoscopy I've been having a hard time concentrating on my studies--I have a test next week I'm supposed to be studying for right now. I am so glad I found this group. I really like hearing the success stories, and the other young women who have small kids. My god, I pray everyday that I live to see them grow up. Anyway, I have to get back to studying, but I should know what I'md dealing with in a couple of days when I get my report back. Thanks for listening/reading, and I will talk to you guys soon.
Myra

LA8

Postby LA8 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:23 am

Hi, Myra - I know what you are going through! I was in your position nearly a year ago. There was a small chance it was some kind of rare infection and not Cancer. Unfortunately not small enough. I (and everybody here) hope you are ok! If the news isn't great, you need to focus on dealing with the problem. The good news is that a diagnosis is no longer the kiss of death it used to be! The drugs and equipment available are fantastic, as are the latest methods of surgery and treatment. In my case, I was cured and spared some nasty re-plumbing! I'm not out of the woods yet, starting 6 months adjuvant Chemo today, and a polyp yet to be removed via the 'roto-router', but my life was saved in exchange for a few 'inconveniences'. If you do have it, you will be amazed at the different strength you will conjur up frm inside you, and the courage you never knew you had! At least you took steps to deal with your symptoms!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:06 am

Welcome Myra! You have come to the right place. We have all been in your place at one time or another. Like LA8 said, Cancer doesn't mean death anymore at all. Each of our journey's is different, yet the same in many ways. Fear is something we all go through with this journey but learn to get somewhat of a grip on it sooner or later it seems. We learn that we take one day at a time and many of us set bench marks so it isn't so overwhelming for us. Positive attitude is very important as well as a good sense of humor and Faith. We are all here to help you get through your journey so come back often, vent and ask questions. I am a bit older than most here at age 52 and a two year survivor, but 52 is really just the new 40 right? LOL Just like LA8 said, we find out just how strong we are through all this and so will you!! Hang in there and take one day, one step at a time and know you have support here!!!

HUGS Peg

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Myra -- sorry you had to hear such terrible news. I also am 36 years young, have 2 small boys (2/5) and am a RN. I was going to get scoped because I was having consipation issues. Well what I thought was going to be routine, turned into 2 tumors and a R hemicolectomy surgery with 6 months of chemo -- Stage II -- I have completed chemo and feel great. Awaiting news from my last cat scan to see if it spread anywhere else. Stay strong -- you can do it -- try your hardest to stay focused on school, but also listen to your body -- don't over do it. This is a great escape and information tools. Best of luck -- we are all hear to support you.. Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

myra

Thanks everybody....

Postby myra » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:21 pm

For sending those words of encouragement. It really made me feel better. I know I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but it's funny how things I thought were important don't even matter anymore.
I am really scared though. I will keep you guys posted on what happens next.

Thanks loads
Myra

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:31 am

Myra -- tried to email your email -- did not work....

Hi myra -- I did take a leave of absence from work (I work
in the ICU in New Jersey), because first my hemoglobin was
7 when I had my surgery needs to be at least 12. I was
getting Procrit shots everyweek for the last 6 months Very
proud to say now that my hemoglobin is 12.3. Also my White
Blood Count was so low I was getting Neupogen. Once you
White Blood Cell count falls, you are very prone to getting an
infection..stay away from crowds, and also anyone who is
infected. I chose to take a leave of absence so I would not
be exposed -- if you stay in clinical -- I would try not to
take a patient who is actively infected and wash, wash your
hands. I hope your white count does not fall, I finished
chemo on Jan 30 -- and actually feel normal now -- except
for a little tingling in the tips of my fingers -- I am not
returning to work until September -- taking time off to
enjoy my family... Let me know if you have any other
questions.. Feel free to email me anytime in re to
chemo, cancer or even school -- Best of Luck Cathy

you can email me: troisima@yahoo.com
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!

Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

JOL

You can beat it.

Postby JOL » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 am

Hi Myra,

I was google’ing for other information and accidentally came across this site, and your situation. Fate? I believe so! I’m a stage IV Colon survivor of a little over 7 years now. Just had my check up (yearly now) and all is A-OK. Thank God for sure! So to say the least I wish to support you as with all the other good people who already have. Just to echo, there sure is a lot of hope and plenty to look forward to. Just do what your Dr’s say, and continue with you life. The most important thing I can say to you and I believe it for good reason from experience, is RUN don’t walk to your nearest Cancer Center. In my case after not having such a positive go with it in the first year, I went to Lombardy Cancer Center in Washington DC. About a 2-hour commute for me but WELL Worth it! I truly believe by going to Lombardy, my life was literally saved.

I will offer prayers to you and I anticipate you will be fine. Just be patient and like I said, do what your Dr’s say.

If one has to get a cancer I guess Colon cancer is one of the better ones in the sense its slow growing and the current treatments are wonderful. Not so long ago this was a terrible cancer but that sure has turned around.

Personal note: I’m a retired Policeman and have the highest admiration and respect for nurses. Stick with your studies.

Regards! JOL

JOLjol

Club

Postby JOLjol » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Just officially joined this wonderful club.

hossjl@hughes.net

skben2

Positive attitude

Postby skben2 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:52 pm

It is soooo good to stop by and read posts from positive people. It was 5/2005 when I had stage 3 1 lymph node positive (27 taken) diagnsd. and sometimes I get a little freaked out, and not myself. It is good to talk to people who are in the same boat.

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:55 pm

JOL -- thanks for the very encouraging story. I love reading that you are a stage 4 SEVEN year SURVIVOR :D . I hope that you contribute regularly to this message board.

Myra, good luck to you. Please let us know what you find out. I will say a prayer for you.

Miss Kim

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 pm

HI,
WOW JOL 7 YEAR SURVIVOR OF STAGE 4 IS GREAT!! THAT GIVES THE REST OF US STAGE 4 PEOPLE SOME HOPE AND ENCOURAGMENT I THINK THAT IS JUST WONDERFUL.

MISSJV

seussfan
Facebook Username: Trish Lannon

Postby seussfan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Myra,
It is scary, but thank god you had a colonoscopy at such a young age and they caught it.

You will need the strength of your family, friends, and neighbors. It is amazing how supportive and helpful they will be to you. I wish you luck and you are in my prayers.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”