BOWEL MOVEMENTS

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NICK THE BRIT

BOWEL MOVEMENTS

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:46 am

Hello to all, i did post a request last week but only really aimed it at the guys who had a bag reversal. to be fair i only got 1 reply from Tammy (thankyou) so im now going to also put the question out to everybody who had surgery. Im now 9 days out of surgery and still in a bit of discomfort, just want to know if anyone can relate to this and has anybody got any good tips. Weds and Thurs last week i was getting the pushing feeling that my bowels were opening this happened about 40 times per night but when i sat on the lav i was only able to pass very small stools. It was if my backside resembled a cigar cutter. This was very frustrating and got very sore. Then friday i hardly passed anything at all. Then on to saturday. Again passed nothing in the day but the bloatedness started to get worse as the day wore on. because of the discomfort i was getting i took it on myself to take a Movicol which is meant to ease constipation. well it kicked it virtually straight away and i never left the toilet from 8pm to 1.30am (over 5 hours!!)
I havent been yet today although probably because most of it went yesterday. I also rang my hospital who advised i should go to the A&E dept in case i have a blockage?? My main concern is, why is it always the evening when i need to go? I have two nights out in the diary for this week and im not looking forward to them. Im hoping it will get easier but how long will it take, at the moment im scared to leave the house. I also would like to know whether anyone else experienced just passing small amounts??

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Nick

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:49 am

Hi Nick,

I had my resection last January and "getting going" again was really painful and scary. I was so constipated the pain was equivalent to labour!! I ended up in the ER twice and the surgeon said to take milk of magnesium. It is gentler on the colon because you don't want to take anything that will over work the colon.

It took a while for my system to learn how to work again but every thing is back to a new normal.

Other "mild" laxitives are mineral water ducalose.

Good luck.

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

LA8

Postby LA8 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 am

Hi, Nick - so you've found out your body has three brains! I know the feeling - you go to the toilet - you have a nice long hot shower. get all dressed up for the night out, get to the front door and bang - you have to go again - and then its only a small amount. I think part of the problem is things are so sensitive down there that the slightest bit of wind feels like a mega-d__p is on the way. I don't think you're alone. I think you probably need to wait it out. If you do try laxitives (best check with the Doc.) you might want to try 'Lactulose' solution - pretty mild and natural but works well! Or move your plasma HD TV into the bathroom :)

jennifer

bm after surgery

Postby jennifer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:11 am

I'm there with you! I had surgery on the 6th of this month. I was on liquids for 6 days before, during and after the surgery. I have been on solid foods now for 5 days. I called the doc because I haven't had a bm yet. He advised me to take the stool softner that he sent me home with. I have been taking them for 2 days. Now I have lots of gurguling and it seems "I have to go". So far the only thing I have passed looks as if it might be some blood clots. Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks for eveyone being so helpful and kind on this website. We all need this! Be Blessed!

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:39 pm

I am so having all these same issues. I have been sound asleep in the middle of the night and think, oh my gosh I better RUN to the bathroom, only to get in there and have on tiny little small BM. Just a lot of pressure and then I am good. Every day around 3:30 again I can virtually spend the next 3-5 hours back and forth to the bathroom and go and go and go. Who knows what this is all about. I am 17 mos. out from surgery. I had a terrible time while on Chemo with severe cramping and actually constipation. When I saw The Colon surgeon last month he was asking me about my regularity and when I told him there was no rhyme or reason he said yeah it is pretty normal to be sporadic. I just take immodium if I know I have to be out prolonged, it seems to help ease the mind.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”