Colon Talk???

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Noonie2

Colon Talk???

Postby Noonie2 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 pm

I want everyone, young or old, to know that colon cancer can kill!

Please, if you have any, ANY, thoughts at all, get a colonoscopy, CT Scan or PET (which is the best)!!

Get second opinions!

I have read many, almost all, of the stories listed here in Colon Talk!

My concern is that I (we) are not getting the word out strong enough!

It is upsetting me that your doctors are not catching this early enough!

I am a Stage IV survivor and just "mad" at the thought of most of you not getting the help (diagnosis) quickly!

Just please, PLEASE, educate yourself on what is going on with your body!

And, unfortunately, searching the internet is NOT the way to do this.

Young OR old, watch your stools; if you notice narrow stools; DARK stools; bright red blood (even if you think it may be your hemorriods); any type of discomfort.....DEMAND a colonoscopy, please! I had left shoulder pain.........did not know that left shoulder pain is a symptom for liver damage!!

Stage IV, spread to liver and stomach. Lost my whole left lobe of liver and part of right lobe and 80% of stomach.....Rough? Yes! So far, survivor, YES!!

Here's to your life.......take charge!!!

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:06 pm

hi noonie,
i know what you mean. young people think they don't get colon cancer and docs blow off symptoms on young people. also i think surviving this or any other cancer is where you receive your treatments. when i was 1st diagnosed i went to an onco who said i had statisticaly 2 years to live and was put on palliative chemo. luckily i did not stand for that and referred myself to sloan kettering where of course the 2years to live and the palliative chemo was thought of as a joke. but what about the people who take the word of the 1st doc they go to? i think more people die of cancer that could have an excellent chance to survive cause their doctors just don't care. i asked my 1st onco about removing cancer from my liver and she laughed and said you just can't go around chopping up organs. well yes you can as you know and i know we have had our livers chopped on and both of us a currently ned. now if i would have taken her 1st word where would i be now??? no surgery, no chance. people need to be proactive in their care and don't worry about pissing off the docs it is your life and people deserve the best treatment they can get.

missjv

Noonie2

missjv: Up-setting

Postby Noonie2 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:24 pm

I have decided that I have survived to spread the word to others and I am getting so frustrated at what I hear!

You have it correct when you say that some people die from cancer because they have been given the diagnoses and then the 'out-come' and that is all that 'some' people hear.

It is crazy and frustrating that I have heard from so many people with, not just colorectal cancer, but other cancers that their doc., who they trust open-heartedly, has given them a "time frame"!

Maybe I was lucky, maybe it was God, but just maybe, it was ME....not a person to settle for...."You have 1 month or maybe 2 years!" No one know s that!

Thank you missjv for spreading the word and posting your replys on Colon Talk!

I am 'some-what' new to this web-site but have joined many others too........just to let others know, colorectal cancer or ANY cancer diagnoses....IT IS YOUR ONE AND ONLY LIFE....PLEASE, DO NOT SETTLE FOR A "Time Frame"!

love and prayers, Noonie2

jennifer

Yeah!

Postby jennifer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:42 am

I totally agree. You have to take your health in your own hands! The first surgeon I went to was an idiot. I told him I didn't want a coloscomy, trying to get some reaasurance from him. His comment was "nobody does" When I found the surgeon at Johns Hopkins that I went with for my surgery I ask him what were that chances that I would need a coloscomy and he said " about zero". If your not dealing with someone that gives you hope move on. There are great surgeons out there. Also when looking for your surgeon for colon resection make sure your surgeon has done several laprascopic. We all are going through enough without having to be split open. If your surgery can be done lap. your recovery is much quicker and no huge scar! I will be happy to give out my surgeons name at Johns Hopkins. Email me blondie02282005@aol.com Be Blessed!

missingmom

Postby missingmom » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am

Open forum today... please call my show jrshowonline.com today is all about colon cancer. I have posted this several times... but I see you guys have a lot to say and I want to give you that chance... please feel free to call the show today... we are live from 2 pm - 5 pm EST
1 888 257 7469..... if the lines are busy please keep trying.
I will be talking to Molly live around 2:15... Corinne from the Colonadar at about 4 ( I am making these calls out to them and scheduled them so that I don't miss them )
I am hoping for jammed lines... I want people to start talking about this disease, stop dying of embarassment.
Please feel free to call and speak openly and honestly about your experiences.
Erica
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”