hello all 27yo male with stage III rectal Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
leigh_leigh

hello all 27yo male with stage III rectal Cancer

Postby leigh_leigh » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:24 am

hello all just saying a quick hello i am a 27 yo male with stage III rectal cancer just finished a 5 1/2 week course of 5fu chemo 24/7 and radiotherapy going to get ct scans in a few weeks then hopefully surgery if it has shrunk enough (fingers crossed) been reading all the post and found them all very helpful and answered alot of questions for me too, this site is great I only wish I had found it a bit earlier.

Take care
Leighxxxx

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:32 am

Welcome on board Leigh, you have certainly found the right place. Everyone will make you feel welcome, and any questions you have can be answered here. Stay positive

Nick xx

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi There-

I just turned 27 last month!

I am currently on Folfox. I'm curious..why does your oncologist have you only on 5fu? Do you know?

I have never heard of 5fu 24/7. How does that work? I only carry 5fu for two days every 2 weeks.

Good luck with your scans,
Kelly
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

27 yr old male

Postby jane » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Kiryder02,

In Australia the standard trtment for rectal cancer is an infusion of 5FU 24/7 while having radiotherapy, then surgery, followed by 4 months of 5FU and leucoverin. It seems that America has a different regime Does anyone know why?

Jane
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

leigh_leigh

5fu and radiotherapy

Postby leigh_leigh » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:10 am

my oncologist told me that the best treatment he knows of for rectal cancer is the 24/7 5 fu chemo with radiotherapy 5 days a week with the weekends off not sure why it is different in the us but im hoping it has shrunk the tumour, I have heard from other having the same treatment that there tumor had shrunk dramatically with this treatment but wont know till i have the ct scans.

leighxxxx

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:27 am

Hello,

I'm in England and on exactly the same treatment programme. Following trials pre-op radiotherapy seems to reduce recurrence in rectal cancer and the 5FU makes the tumour more sensitive so you should get more shrinkage - I've just started the radio this week and had two weeks of 5Fu 24/7 already - so you're about a month ahead of me, I'm T3, N1 but a little older at 36 and female. I spoke to my oncologist this week, he said they could operate on the tumour now but really want to downstage it so they have more clearance, or they may not get everything from the fatty stuff around the rectum where the cancer may have spread and the affected lymph nodes are. I'm having a TME where they take away all the fatty stuff and nodes, like you followed by 4 months chemo - UNLESS by some magic they find they were wrong about the nodes when the whole horrid mess goes to the labs.

I hope you got through the radio OK without too much trouble (hoping I do to!) and do keep us updated! Good luck.

Lisa
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:35 am

yeah thats weird Lisa. My tumour was in the upper part of the rectum, maybe thats why i just had chemo and no radio with it?

nick

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 am

With regard to the different treatment regimens - Here is how I understand it:

First of all, Rectal cancer requires treatment with radiation. The TME has also become "standard" of care for ther reasons you stated in your post. It has to do with all the lymph nodes, nerves, fat, and blood supply to the pelvis. All that "stuff" is compacted in down in the pelvis and the chances are higher for recurrence around the original tumor site for rectal cancer, so they radiate. It is the timing of radiation that is under debate.

Chemo regemins are rapidly evolving and there is some debate as to what is the "best" combination of drugs for a particular stage. This is why there are so many clinical trials going for colorectal cancer.

Standard chemotherapy treatment has, for many years, involved 5FU for both colon and rectal cancer. How it is given is what differs, and often depends on your oncologist's personal opinion. Studies have show that 24/7 5 FU delivered by pump is preferred over the "bolus" or single IV infusion method. Especially when given in conjunction with radiation. Now, relatively new to the scene is xeloda which is a pill form of 5FU that works like the 24/7 delivery of 5FU because it is in your system on a continuous basis. Some doctors feel it has an advantage over the infusion 5FU because it does not require an IV or port. Others feel it needs to be around longer before they will get on the band wagon and prescribe it.

Depending on the stage of the cancer, other drugs are added to the 5FU. (ie, if it is stage IV you are going to see 5FU along with some other drugs such as Avastin (bevicizumab), campostar, irinotecan, where as you won't see if with stageII or III). Most of the time 5FU is given with leukovorin, which is an agent that helps the 5FU work better. Xeloda is not given with leukovorin, since it is converted by the body into 5FU.

There is also a lot of debate in the oncology community about timing of radiaion. Before surgery chemo and radiaiton is preferred now. It is supposed to "down stage" the tumor. However, in my husband's circumstance, they did not expect him to have positive lymph nodes and it was a bit of a "surprise" when they came back that way, so by all indications on his preoperative staging CT, endorectal ultrasound, CEA, etc, it looked like he was stage II and no preop radiation would be needed. Hence, he is doing post op (ie after surgery) radiation for 5 weeks. His doctor preferred to use xeloda rather than the 24/7 infusion of 5FU. Like I said, a lot of it depends on your doctor. Sometimes, I guess we have to have "blind faith" in those who take care of us.

However, if you don't have an open communication with your health care provider, NEVER hesitate to find someone else you feel comfortable with. Also, question them. Make THEM explain all this to you and aske them to explain (in plain english) why they think one method of treatme is preferable over another.

Also, there are always those circumstances that are out of the ordinary. We are humans, and no two are exactly the same, so why do we expect that the treatment would be the same for every single person? Also, people's cancer can act very differently from person to person. Just read the posts here, you will see that some have very unique stories that don't fit any one mold.

Bottom line, if you have questions about why your doctor chose a particular treatment regemin, have him/her explain to you why.

Hope this was helpful. - wdt

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for all of that info.

When it comes to research and the exact whys..I never get a straight answer out of my oncologist.

Also, there is so much out on the internet..it is hard to find stuff there too.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”