Waiting can be hard...........

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
eitter

Waiting can be hard...........

Postby eitter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:59 am

Two weeks ago yesterday I had a Scope of the rectum to check for healing and to see if I am ready for a reversal of my ostomy.
Two weeks ago today I had a CT. My colo/rectal surgeon ordered all of these tests.

I received news from my oncologist who got all the reports and he reported the all clear, NED, Yahoo!

Then my colorectal surgeon called me and wanted a PETSCAN to make his final decision. He just sees a lot of scar tissue and wants to be double sure there is no cancer. So I had that last Friday. It starts to get unnerving and I know they are being cautious. And part of me feels because I refused post surgical Chemo that they can't believe I am NED.

Well I have had enough CT's and Petscan's to know that a negative or postive answer can come within 24 hours and at this point that is all I want, I can wait on the reversal decision. I have called my surgeon and oncologist and no one is calling me back and I am getting frustrated.

Patience.......... :roll:
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

eitter

Postby eitter » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:15 pm

Wait is over! My Colorectal surgeon called me at 6pm tonight I have been given the green light to have a reversal as early as 1-2 weeks or whenever I like.

Since I had not heard what was going to happen I booked my final training with the IRS in Portland Oregon for March 12th-30th, then I will be a full fledged IRS Agent. I missed the final training due to the BEAST.

So now I am in control I can schedule this surgery when I want it, what a concept, I finally have control of my body! So I think I will have the reversal the week after Easter.

So here is the question I have to you all. Thymus Gland, what is it really and why would it be active and enlarged? The CT Scan showed that and the recent Petscan also showed it being active and enlarged. My oncologist and Colo/Rectal surgeon say it is not cancer related? I have searched the internet trying to figure it out. They want to do a repeat CT in 2 months to see what it is doing? I guess I should not worry about it, but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Did I mention that the Petscan showed NED.............Yahoo!

God Bless,
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:10 am

Congratulations Liz all round with the scan results and getting the date for the reversal. as im sitting here posting this message to you, i do so after spending the last fridy to monday in hospital having my ileostomy reversed. It all went well just a little sore still.
Best of luck

Nick

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:30 am

Congrats on the clear scan. Now are we talking about the thymus gland or the thyriod? A couple of us have had unlarged thyroids on our scans. Thyroid cancer can happen, and is one of the easier ones to cure, but it's a very active gland and enlargement is usually benign. Mine was.

eitter

Postby eitter » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:55 pm

It is the Thymus Gland! But they say it does not have cancer in it?! Still trying to figure it out and no one seems to know much about it.

Liz
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
LAR 10/06 Stage III

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi

Just read your post and I remembered looking up the lymph system wen I was first diagnosed T3, N1, M0

I got this from http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigbio/project/ ... ymph5.html I removed a few words as it's a bit over your head but looks like even if it was removed it wouldn't be a problems?

I know my oncologist has said that it may turn out that my affected nodes are just swollen as a reaction to the tumour growing near it since lymph nodes swell when they're fighting baddies in your body - a boyfriend hit his elbow hard once and a node in his face grew to the size of an orange - as it got infected and soon went down with antibiotics. Mad thing the human body! Maybe that's why your thymus gland is showing up - I'd push for an explanation - most doctors will give you more detail if they think you want it but don't like to confuse you initially.

The Thymus is in your throat area and when removed from adult mammals, few effects are seen. However, when the thymus is removed at birth, dramatic effects are witnessed

During its development many cells migrate towards it, most of which are lymphocytes. The thymus is divided into two distinct compartments. Both regions are densly populated with lymphocytes (or thymocytes while in the thymus).

The main function of the thymus is to develop immature T-cells into immunocompetent T-cells. This process begins with the production of pre-T cells in the bone marrow and their subsequent transport to the thymus via the blood. The pre-T cells are then taken into the cortex of the thymus. Here, a series of molecular events take place allowing the cells to recognize certain antigens. Some of the cells recognize self-components, and these are elmiminated by a process of negative selection. Those that fail the selection die and those that live proceed to the medulla and eventually into the blood stream where they act upon foreign agents in the body.

Keep up the good fight!
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

missjv

Postby missjv » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:11 pm

hi liz,
congrats to you!! hope all continues to go well for you, im sure it will. it is so nice to hear good news isn't it?

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”