Parp Inhibitor/Olaparib Clinical Trial

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cindyz

Parp Inhibitor/Olaparib Clinical Trial

Postby cindyz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:59 pm

During my time on this board, I vaguely remember references to "parp inhibitors" but never really understood what they were/what this meant. At Stephen's last onc visit, we discussed finding a trial for Stephen, and his onc said "there are none out there." He said if he knew of anything "worthy," he would indeed know about it. I asked him if I could find Stephen a Parp Inhibitor Trial (not really know what this was exactly, but remembering the words from here), would that be a good one to consider. He said yes.

I did find a Phase II study with Olaparib and sent it to our doctor. He said that it was certainly worth looking into. I was a little surprised since this apparently isn't a new trial and he had made the statement that there wasn't anything worthwhile out there at this time. Hmmmm.

The closest place conducting this trial to us is in Chapel Hill, NC. Apparently it takes a lot of doctor's visits with the "study doctor" initially, like once a week (about a 7 hour drive for us). We're debating what to do. How can you decide that a trial really is worth all that travelling? Does anyone have experience with this trial or the drug Olaparib - it would be in pill form that he took it, twice a day.

Thanks everyone. :-)
Wife to Stephen, dx 5/13/09; 45 yo
Stage IV w/numerous mets to liver, 2 to LNs
Colon resection 5/25/09
Folfox/Avastin, Folfiri/Avastin, Folfiri/Erbitux-progressed
Sir Spheres 2/2/2010
Admitted to hospital 4/23/2010
Passed away 5/09/2010

papajedi

Re: Parp Inhibitor/Olaparib Clinical Trial

Postby papajedi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Sometimes their arrogance overcomes their goodwill.
United States Submarine Veteran
1976-1982 SSBN 640 Gold Crew
Benicia Ca. Robert Ray

Colon Stage 3 C
Resection
Chemo started Aug 17
FOLFOX

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Well....I don't have any firsthand experience with trials...but..I would think that the trial physician *should* be able to give you some up-front info on the study...either by telephone, email or snail-mail, so you can at least read up on the details of the study. Then I would be calling the American Cancer Society to see what sort of support they provide for clinical trial out-of-towners like yourselves. I dunno about the ACS...but the Canadian Cancer Society does have such support programs in place. Good luck and keep us posted.

Footnote: sounds like your onc is either not on the ball or just doesn't give a crap.... :cry:
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

cindyz

Postby cindyz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, I am going to look into the ACS like you suggested. I had no idea they helped with stuff like this.

I too agree about the oncologist statement. The thing is, he DOES care. We like him. But this comment about "if there was something out there I would know" left me a little befuddled.

I am searching old posts here to see if I can get some information on the Parp clinical trials. It doesn't seem like much is here...does anyone know if the parp drugs are a relatively new development?
Colon resection 5/25/09
Sir Spheres 2/2/2010
Passed away 5/09/2010

joeyooser

Postby joeyooser » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm glad you're researching and finding things. Don't wait for the onc to suggest things - you've got to be aggressive and advocate for yourselves. I'm afraid I don't know anything about this trial, but I just wanted to say go for it. It sounds like you've maybe got the cancer on the defensive right now - I say kick it while it's down.
Tim
Stage IIIc - 9/23 lymph nodes, poorly diff, 35yo father of 2.
Lap resection Jul 28 09 resulted in near-deadly leak
Finished chemo Feb '10; Takedown March '10;
Nov 2010 - carcinomatosis
May 2011 - Clinical Trial, failed out of trial, in hospice care

mimichapman

Postby mimichapman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Cindy,

The way I understand this treatment is that a trial already conducted with parp inhibitors showed that they worked well on BRCA cancers. With the theory being that since they work on those DNA defective cancers, they might work well on Microsatellite Instability high colon cancer. I think I remember someone on the board trying the parp inhibitor colon cancer trial??

You must have "measurable disease" to participate in the trial, which, as of now my husband does not have, post CRS/HIPEC. The oncologist at Vanderbilt has had him on NO chemo since surgery (which is a little scary to me). But...... if/when? anything shows back up, he wants to put him in this trial, as my husband's colon tumor tested MSI high.

Hope that is helpful.

Mimi
husband dx Jan. 09 (age 49)
Rt. Hemicolectomy
Folfox/Avastin: 7 rounds
Irinotecan/Oxaliplatin/Avastin: 4 rounds
CRS/HIPEC Oct. 09
3 children: 22, 17, 11

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi Cindy: I'm sure you've already seen this but, just in case, I'm posting the link. I thought it was a pretty understandable explanation of PARP inhibitors, which I'd never heard of. Good luck to you and Stephen while you are looking into this. All the best, Bev

http://www.parp-inhibitors.com/
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

jscho

Postby jscho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 am

At the risk of sounding like a "know-it-all", a few months ago there was a question about PARP inhibitors and MSI status. I wrote this:

"I think those with Lynch syndrome and high MSI typically have deficient double-stranded DNA repair pathways. PARP inhibitors block repair of single strand breaks, which then get converted to double strand breaks upon replication. The PARP inhibitors make chemotherapy more effective since single strand deficiencies cannot be repaired and therefore kill the cell. The effect is greatest when some of the redundant DNA repair pathways are not present, as is likely the case for high MSI tumors."

I wonder what researchers have discovered about the efficacy of PARP inhibitors for non-MSI high tumors.

From another poster in another forum, I learned of another drug, gemzar, that recently completed phase II trials and had some promising results. I don't think they are ready to start phase III trials. The problem is Gemzar is not yet FDA approved for colorectal cancer, and this usually leads to insurance rejecting claims. You may be able to get insurance to pay for the drugs if your oncologist can write a letter of medical need.

Gemzar appears to have only mild side-effects and should act cooperatively with xeloda (both create base deficiencies for replication, but for different bases). There is another new drug, pazopanib, that targets growth receptors like avastin does, so acts quite differently. It has a nice track record of slowing progression (by factors of two!). This sounds like a potent cocktail, attacking cancer cells on multiple fronts, though not yet in our arsenal.
Colon cancer dx Feb. 24, 2009, T3/N2/M0
Right Hemicolectomy Feb. 26, 2009
Stage 3C: 4/19 positive nodes
High grade adenocarcinoma with tumor budding
FOLFOX6 April 15 - Oct. 1, 2009
Elective sub-total colectomy July 3, 2012 due to 2 DALMs
Currently NED

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:27 am

Maybe the drug was in an earlier trial when you originally asked about it and oncs. don't use it until it gets to a certain phase. Just saying, maybe.

My onc. doesn't seem to know about a lot of trials. I think they're so busy with patients they go home and crash. It's really a shame we have to keep an eye on these ourselves. I think that's one reason it's good to go to the big teaching hospitals or cancer specialty hospitals.
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:33 am

cindyz,

Don't have any information, just a note regarding something my onc said. When we were meeting to review plan B, after major rxn to the oxaliplatin that has held the beast at bay for 2 years, Dr. M. made the statement, "If need to keep you alive about 2 years because that's when the Parp inhibitors should be ready. I think they'll be the latest and greatest thing for colorectal cancer."

Haven't gotten to the point of trials yet. He'll make me do Folfiri first.

Good luck. I'll see Dr. M. on the 23rd and try to find out more information.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

cindyz

Postby cindyz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:22 am

Wow, seems like this might be a definite trial to consider. I did some research on this board and saw another poster who actually progressed on olaparib (I think it was this trial) and she quit the study after her 2-month scan.

I was very encouraged by the "keeping you alive for 2 years" statement. Recently Stephen and I had a discussion about time. If we can make weeks turn to months, we'll just live in those little increments with hope and encouragement as long as he is feeling as well as he is now. He still has some harder days than others, but nothing compared to this past January. I know that different drugs are being developed and different combinations can be used, and I also know that we're doing the very best we can in staying informed, doing our own research, and being our own advocates.

I still am a little confused about which trials to choose (I printed up 77 clinical trials for Stephen's stage and for his situation)...how the heck do you choose between Dwr456 or AK1JKE or 67MLKI8? Those are just made up names, but you get what I'm saying. :-)

Thank you all for the help with this.
Colon resection 5/25/09
Sir Spheres 2/2/2010
Passed away 5/09/2010

dianne052506

Postby dianne052506 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 am

cindyz,
I should remember, but where are you and Stephen located?
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

cindyz

Postby cindyz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi Dianne,

We're in St. Augustine, Florida (about 30 minutes south of Jacksonville).
Colon resection 5/25/09
Sir Spheres 2/2/2010
Passed away 5/09/2010

Ellen

Postby Ellen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,

I'm the one that was on this trial over the summer. I live in Portland OR and traveled to Swedish Cancer Center in Seattle to be part of it. I was among the first participants.Travel is pretty challenging--getting there for treatment weekly for the first 6 weeks (I believe) and then every other week. I guess it depends how you're feeling and what else is going on. (I have two tiny children who were very sad each time that I left.) Of course had the treatment WORKED for me it would be worth everything.

My onc was very optimistic about it, but unfortunately I had progression after the very first 8 wee round/set of scans. So I was bumped off.

I am "microsatellite stable." Now they believe that the parp inhibitor may be more effective for those who are microsatellite instable (MSI). They are ONLY accepting MSI patients at this point. So, if your husband is MSI hopefully he'd have better luck than I.

I've written about the trial on this forum--you may want to do some searching around. Also, feel free to PM mee if that'd be helpful.

I wish you and your husband all the best!

Ellen
Stage IV CC
Colon resect, chemo, unsuccessful liver resection 2/07-11/07
Bile leak/progression 12/07-4/08
Folfiri/Erbitux, Folfiri/Avastin 5/08-6/09
Olaparib 7/09-9/09
Folfox 10/09-1/10
MitomycinC/Xeloda 1/10-
43 Y.O: 2 children: 3 and 5.5 years.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”