Vectibix vs Erbitux

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Christine

Vectibix vs Erbitux

Postby Christine » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:36 pm

Has anyone tried both of these drugs (at separate times)? I had one dose of Erbitux back in December and I was one of the lucky ones with a very severe rash. We had to discontinue treatments. My oncologist is encouraging me to try Vectibix. I know it also causes a rash in 89% of patients - severe in 12%. I'm just wondering if anyone can compare their own reactions to the two drugs.

Thanks!

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Christine,

Yes, I have had both Erbitux and Vectibix at separate times. I am on Vectibix and Xeloda right now. Erbitux caused dry skin, a bit of a rash, and some infections in my toenails. I actually had to have part of my large toenail removed due to the infection. I also had a lot of cuts on my hands due to the dryness.

With Vectibix, my skin is dry and reptilian and I had a pretty bad rash with bacterial infections on my skin after 2 doses. So my onc. team gave me a prescription for doxycyline hyclate and the rash/acne like spots cleared up in about 3 days. I have cuts on the ends of my finger tips and some on the knuckles where the skin is dry. I apply a lot of moisturizer on my hands and sleep with cotton gloves on my hands. I have only been on Xeloda for 4 days, so I am not sure what side effect(s) it will add.

So far, Vectibix has been manageable. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Miss Kim

Erbitux Vectibix

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am

I tried Erbitux when it first came out-had severe allergic reaction and ended up in ER overnight. On Vectibix now. Had severe rash with open sores with first dose-cut dose in half which is manageable-dry skin, small rash on cheeks,prickly feeling on skin on upper body, some nausea which is probably due more to the irritican I'm taking in combo.

bossan

Postby bossan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:39 pm

FWIW, I'm on Panitumumab (Vectibix) and Xeloda. I just finished my 5th month of doses, two weeks of Xeloda and Panitumumab every other week. I have had pretty severe skin problems, notably on the face due to the Vectibix. Antibiotics helped lessen the intensity but this last dose was pretty bad.

The Xeloda has just caused fatigue and some pain on my hands and heels. I'm guessing the fatigue is partly due to the current drug and the fact that I've been doing chemo for almost two years and only a 3 month break in between.
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?
My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk
My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Vetibix Xeloda combo

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:22 pm

How has the vectibix/Xeloda combo been working? Any reduction in CEA or tumor size?

bossan

Re: Vetibix Xeloda combo

Postby bossan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Guest wrote:How has the vectibix/Xeloda combo been working? Any reduction in CEA or tumor size?

I had CT scan today, I'll be able to answer that in a few days.

I had a bit of growth in a node after my last CT scan. Other than that, the V/X regimine has stopped the growth of anything else.
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?

My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk

My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:21 pm

hi christine,
have you tried campostar with avastin? i am on it for adjuvent chemo after liver resection and have had very little side effects just a little nausea but no vomiting or diarrhea. i have read that avastin needs a chemo buddy to make it effective there is not a study out to see if it is any good by itself so i would hate to take the chance on something not proven yet and if it causes damage from choking blood vessels that are not tumors. i am not on avastin anymore i was on it pre surgery now i just do 5fu, cpt11 for 6 more treatments then hopefully that is the end of this crap i have not been on erbitux or vectibex so i don't know anything about them but they sound awfull the way people on here describe their rashes. 3 month scans were great i am ned and feel great just tired on the chemo days but i think that happens to all of us.

missjv

Christine

Postby Christine » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi MissJV,

Unfortunately, my platelets have been low (<100) since September and as long as they stay low, I cannot have any of the chemo drugs (Camptosar). If there was any evidence of disease, they would give me platelet transfusion and do the chemo treatments anyway, but my 6 month scan was clean. I'll probably have another scan done next month.

I'm being tested for a bunch of autoimmune diseases tomorrow (lupus, rhematoid arthritis, etc) which may be causing the platelet issue - along with joint pain and elevated liver numbers. Of course, none of the tests are actually definitive, but they may at least point us in the right direction.

My oncologist has been very forthright about the lack of evidence that Avastin works as a single agent. That is why he's recommending that I try the Vectibix. I'm just concerned about side effects because I had such a severe reaction to the Erbitux - one dose in December and it's still not completely cleared up!

Simons

Experience of pain

Postby Simons » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:13 am

The experience of pain has at least 2 different parts. The 2 main ones are what we call a 'sensory component' and an 'emotional component'. You may show this by having a small pain on yourself, for instance by presing one of your fingers in a pair of pliers. Start out slowly, and then slowly increase the pressure until it becomes unpleasant. See that you feel the pressure first, and then as the pain starts, you want to remove your hand away for pain relief.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”