Kelly Hill is new here and a Colon Cancer Survivor!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

Kelly Hill is new here and a Colon Cancer Survivor!!

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Hi everybody!! My name is Kelly Hill and I live in Charleston, SC. I am 39 years old and I have 3 boys (10,7 & 3) and happily married!! When I was 36 years old (my youngest son was 6 mos. old) I was diagnosed with stage I/II Colon Cancer. My only symptoms were constipation (ever since I can remember!!) and then seeing blood since I had my 2nd son. The blood would sometimes be "old" blood and sometimes "fresh-bright" blood and I would not always see the blood everytime I went to the bathroom. After several times of seeing the blood and getting my husband to "see what I was seeing!!" I called my internist, made an appointment and told her all of my symptoms. That day, she offered to check me with a scope and I was so embarrassed, that I begged her to not do that and she checked me with her finger. She said I had an Internal Hemmoroid. I would have NEVER thought I had hemmoroids - I had 3 C-Sections and did not have to deliver my sons that weighed 9lbs.2oz., 9lbs.10oz. & 11lbs.1oz.!!!!! After that checkup that she diagnosed as an internal hemmoroid - she gave me a prescription for Miralax, which helped with the constipation. Two years and 9 months went by and I would still see the blood off and on when I would go to the bathroom and always getting my husband to "see what I was seeing" and calling in for refills for my Miralx - I called my internist to let her know that I was still seeing blood. She got me in with a gastrointerologist - I made that appointment - he just listened to my symptoms and history (he didn't even "check me" which was a HUGE relief because I was still SO EMBARRASSED!! He said that I needed a Colonoscopy. We made the appointment and I clearly remember thinking that, "A colonoscopy is such a serious test. I really don't need it because they probably will not find anything. And if Katie Couric could do it on tv (I watched it!!) I could do it for me." The prep wasn't bad - just juggling William my 6 month old and running to the toilet. My husband went with me to have the Colonoscopy and that day - Dr. Yantis found a 1 inch polyp, flat, growing into the wall of my colon. I asked to see it during the procedure - they didn't show it to me - great medicine!!!! I remember Dr. Yantis coming in to show me the pictures and talk to me and my husband (I was so groggy - thankful Glenn was there!!) - he said he got all that he could without going through my colon wall and we would wait on the biopsy results. Dr. Yantis called me back within a week on Martin Luther King Day Feb. '04 - I was home with William - Glenn was out with Oliver and Samuel (our other 2 sons) - he told me that, "That Polyp has a LITTLE BIT OF CANCER IN IT." I didn't know what to ask or do - he said that he has done all that he can do for me and that I needed to call Dr. Rustin at Roper Hospital - he is a colorectal surgeron and as of that next day, I inherited a Colorectal Surgeon. I saw Dr. Rustin that next day, along with my 4 year old and my 6 month old (that the nurses took care of during that office visit) and my husband who thank God was there to remember everything I couldn't. Dr. Rustin checked me that day with a Sigmoid scope (I hated that with all I had in me to hate, I'd take a COLONOSCOPY any day of the week - I was having my peroid, wearing knee highs with a skirt that I just pulled up at the table - it was awful and I was so scared.) He had all of my biopsy/pathology reports, which we had a family friend who is an
Oncologist in Birmingham, AL give us a 2nd opinion on, and I left Dr. Rustin's office, a man I just met minutes ago, and I was going to have 2 feet of my colon removed. I had the surgery, waited on the pathology reports from the surgery and everything came back clean and clear - no treatment needed. I feel guilty for even saying I didn't need treatment because of so much I've read on this site. I do know the feeling of the unknown, not knowing how bad it is, am I going to die, the pure terror that Colon Cancer can put one through. I had a very supportive family and friends and church family that played a HUGE role in my recovery. and recovered so good. There is SO MUCH more to share in my story that I am so overwhelmed - we did not have a computer when I was diagnosed, I was told by a family friend who also had Colon Cancer for me to not go to the Internet and look up info on Colon Cancer - that it would scare me to death. Well, like my surgeon said, we have to be our own advocate and know just as much, if not more than , the doctors know. We got a computer this past summer and I found this website from all my litature I picked up and saved from when The Colossal Colon came to Charleston, SC after my surgery - I saw the Colossal Colon and I think it is a great way to get the word out. I am not embarrassed to talk about EVERYTHING about Colon Cancer - I am proud to show my scar - I even showed it to Darius Rucker (front man for HOOTIE AND THE BLOWFISH, who reside right here in beautiful Charleston, SC - his wife Beth was having some issues and my story made her go get a Colonoscopy and all checked out okay!!)!!!!! I don't want people to be afraid or embarrassed. My parents have not had Colonoscopies and 1 of my 2 brothers had a colonoscopy finding small non-cancerous polyps - my cancer affects not only my 3 sons (which I wrote in their baby books about my history and that when they are 25 years old they need to have their 1st colonoscopy) and it also affects my brothers and their daughters - my beautiful neices. I have read such beautiful, happy, tearful entries here and I feel like I can't give my little story justice. But, I am a statistic and a SURVIVOR. I did call the American Cancer Society for support and received none - I wish that in Feb. '04 I had The Colon Club. My friends laugh and support me knowing that I have THE COLON CLUB listed as one of my favorites on my computer!! Thank you so much for your time and open hearts and minds and for your loving, caring and encouragement to all who are affected by Colon Cancer. My church was reading The Purpose Driven Life when I was diagnosed, I often wondered what my purpose in life was - to do the most laundry, clean the house, pay bills, change diapers - now I know what my purpose is . . . to let others know about Colon Cancer and to not be embarrassed about anything associated with it and to pray for others as they prayed for me on the morining of Feb. 2, 2004 as I laid on the operating table CALM AS COULD BE holding my surgeons hand - not knowing what the pathology reports would say I had to do next.

Each of you stay strong and fight it all you can. Love & Blessings, Kelly Hill

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:26 pm

hi,
well congrats on your getting your colon cancer out. i had also a small polyp and my cancer went to stage 4 and i my pathology reports came back as no vascular invasion and no invasion into colon wall meaning it did not spread well long story short i had a cat scan and 3 little spots showed up on my liver it sure did spread. if you have not had a cat scan done i would get one to be safe because i was told i was stage 0 the polyps margins were clear and sent home. im sure glad i had scan and found those spots if not i would have never known until it was too late to do anything for me at least now i was able to have spots surgically removed and have a good prognosis.

missjv

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:25 am

Welcome, Kelly!

Congrats on your success story. I look forward to hearing more from you.

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:20 pm

Kelly -- great story -- I also was 36 when diagnosed with Stage II Colon Cancer -- I had a colonoscopy and they could not pass the scope due to my huge tumor -- I had some constipation and was sick to my stomach, more like a gallblader pain.. I only got scoped because my upper GI scope was negative. They removed 43 cm of colon, I had tumors in my cecum and right ascending colon. The tumors were 4 and 6 cm and 1 tumor had vascular invasion. I underwent 6 months of chemo. I am awaiting my Catscan, which is scheduled March 12. I am keeping my fingers crossed....I also have 2 young boys and it has been a journey, trying to keep house and undergo chemo. I have a wonderful husband and family who helped me get through it all.

I am very thankful for all that I have and looking forward to be free from this disease. My prayers go out to all of you fighting this disease. Keep fighting.....Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:57 am

Hi Kelly. Welcome to our group. Sorry you had to join, you know? :wink:

I was diagnosed at Stage I last July, after several months of suffering cardiac-like symptoms. My doctor sent me off for a colonoscopy, since I was at "that age." (I was 51.) The G.I. doctor found one polyp with cancer on the tip, so I had a resection(they took my sigmoid) done in August. My surgery lasted 5 1/2 hours, as the doctors dealt with some adhesions from my appendectomy in 1968 and found my colon hiding behind my spleen. (Naughty colon!) My wife, our two dogs and I moved from Florida to Nebraska one month after my surgery and I was given the exalted title of NED in December.

I travel with a hockey team (Tri-City Storm, United States Hockey League)and for the most part, I have done very well. I have been feeling some discomfort lately, but am hoping that it's just part of the healing process. I am now waiting for a call back to reschedule an appointment I had cancelled last month.

I hope all goes well for you. You'll like this group. It's fun, educational and supportive. Welcome!
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:57 am

Oops! The dreaded "double-post! :(

Sorry gang. :shock:
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”