Delicate problem

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Delicate problem

Postby Magnolia » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Anybody out there a semicolon having problems with GAS? I swear if I'd been in Oz, that wizard wouldn't have needed that old balloon! I've tried to watch my diet, and that helps some, but I get very nervous in social situations. I can clear a room faster than a fire alarm. I've given up my beloved diet sodas, and I've backed off on the high fiber foods. I know fiber is good, but too much too soon can be hard to digest. I don' know what else to do. If anyone else has had similar concerns, and met with any success, please let me know. I'm sure my new coworkers will thank you, as will I.

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:45 pm

You can try some simethicone for your gas. It is sold as Mylicon, Gas X, Gas Relief or something similar. Get 125 to 180 mg caps. This product helps to break up gas in your intestines. It may help it may not but it is worth a try Gas X is like 4.59 a box so it's not too expensive. Of course if you have some problems with certain products like beans or broccoli you can try BeanO. Otherwise just walk off in the coner and let it rip and blame it on the dog. I hope this helps a little.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:51 pm

LOL, when my moms dogs get gassy, my mom blames it on ME!

Christine

Postby Christine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

I don't have a problem with gas, but I do have a similar problem. I digest VERY loudly. There is so much noise coming from my abdomen after I eat - no discomfort, just noise. And nothing seems to make any difference. It's fine when I'm alone - I can pretend it's a distant thunderstorm and let it lull me to sleep, but when other people are around... And it's not just rumbling, sometimes there is high pitched squeaking! My roommates think it's hysterical - the benefits of living with two 30-something guys. :lol:

Noonie2

gas

Postby Noonie2 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:22 pm

I am sooooooooo glad I am not the only one out there with this problem. i can 'sure' clear a room. And it is hard to go 'out' somewhere and your husband can recognize that you 'did it'! ha Oh well, you know what? I have decided that, 'who cares'......................I am alive, so let them hear, smell..........I am a survivor,...so far!!

tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

Postby tandy24 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

God Bless you for posting this! I have the same problem and was wondering if something was wrong with me.
It helps when you have people who can relate to you.
God Bless and Believe,

noise

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:27 am

Wow! I thought all the noise coming from my stomach after eating was just a strange "me" thing. I work in a pretty formal office and everyone tries to pretend they don't hear, but oh my gosh it is soooooo loud!

Becca

Postby Becca » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:27 pm

I tend to have the same problem, too!! I also am a loud digester. Last night I reached in front of my hubby to hand the baby something & my tummy was in full gear. He looked up @ me & said "Holy cow! Was that you?" I just smiled & left the room... I'm on antibiotics for an ear infection right now... talk about clearing a room!!!!! :oops:

missingmom

Postby missingmom » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:09 am

I wonder if Beano would help? My guess about the gas would be because there is less intestine and the extra work left for the remaing intestines produces gas... possibly same with the " noise"... hey if that's the worst of it.... you are ahead of the game right?
I figure this way... if you can hear it, it's working and doing what it is supposed to do. :lol:
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Yes, I'd rather be alive and gassy than the other way around. I guess I just have to develop a thick skin about it. People have adjusted to worse. It does help to know I'm not the only one out there. If I can think of this as a cancer thing I can hold my head up a bit higher. Kind of an "I am Farticus" thing. I'm going to try Beano, though. Some people swear by it.

Noonie2

Gas, SO WHAT!!

Postby Noonie2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 am

We ALL know that our GAS, LOUD STOAMCH NOISES and, well, the horrific smells, are related to.............SURVIVING......

Hold your head up HIGH!!! We are still living, breathing and "enjoying our (1) life that we have.........others are just going to have to live with it!!! haha

Love and prayers, Noonie2

LizG

Postby LizG » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:09 pm

Me tooooo!!! Yes, I am happy I survived. My only problem is that I feel that I will be alone forever. My marriage broke up a while after my treatments...part of the "life" plan, I think. Now I would like to start dating again. But I cringe at the thought of having to hold onto to the gas. I don't know how I will ever deal this. It's comforting to know that others share my situation.
Thanks

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean about trying to get a dating/social life started or resumed. I was never married, single when diagnosed, then didn't care about having a social life during treatment, but now I feel better and I would like to get out of the house more often. I find that without a colon, bathroom trips are frequent and it's not always easy being out of the house for a long time, and the Xeloda makes me get tired really easily so that late nights can be utterly exhausting on those nights that my GI system is cooperative, and then I still have the remnants of an Erbitux rash although it's almost been an entire year since I stopped using that drug. Even still, I guess I do manage to get out every now and then. But recovered/recovering single cancer patients, when it comes to dating and having a social life, have concerns that are often quite different from other single people. Maybe there should be an online community of single cancer patients. There are online dating sites for people with ostomies, sites for people that are both mentally and physically challenged, sites for people of various religions and ethnic groups, sites for all kinds of specific lifestyles, and even an online dating site just for conservative Republicans (http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/m ... emId=82277). Maybe it's time for an online dating site for unemployed stage IV colon cancer patients currently getting chemotherapy and still showing signs of a year-old Erbitux rash ... if that's not too specific.

Rodney

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:49 am

Oh guys,
I just had my bag taken off last friday, and without being crude im desperate to just let one rip! so far im only breaking small pip squeak gas, which im hoping is because its still freshly done. I cant wait for that trouser ripper!!!
glad i shared that with you

Nick

LA8

Postby LA8 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:10 am

LizG wrote: Now I would like to start dating again. But I cringe at the thought of having to hold onto to the gas.

All you need to do is find a hunk in the same situation (like me)

If only I lived in Canada - we could make 'beautiful music' together :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”