update from me - good news

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lisamom2lucas

update from me - good news

Postby lisamom2lucas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:30 pm

hi everyone, i posted a few days ago about my symptoms and that i was scared, etc.

well i had a colonoscopy today as well as an endoscopy and everything came back fine. there was nothing there.

doctor said "IBS" and I said I've never had any issues ever, so what could this be caused by and he really thinks it is from my extreme anxiety and he put me on anti anxiety meds (which I've been prescribed before but never took)

it's crazy to me my anxiety could cause all of this pain, bowel issues, etc.

I don't like coming on here w/ "silly concerns" since most everyone here is dealing and living with cancer. but I wanted to keep you posted since some had asked.

I will say - this SCARE, has taught me so much about colorectal cancer, I will NEVER be afraid to talk to my doctor, or anyone for that matter about bowel movements, rectums, colons and all of the other words that people are embarassed to talk about. It is just something I am not afraid to talk about anymore and never consider the subject taboo, so in that way, I am glad in a way I had this experience.

My husbands uncle died from colon cancer at a young age (40 or 50) and I know my mother in law has always told my husband and sister in law to start getting the scope when they are 30. Hubby is 33 now and never had it done, he is now taking it MUCH more seriously.

Thank for you taking me in and responding to my posts when I was a nervous wreck, and I wish EVERYONE the best, this is a great group of people!

Lisa

helen098

Re: update from me - good news

Postby helen098 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:35 pm

glad to hear you don't have to permanently join the club
hope we never have to hear from you again :D
stage 3A surgery 6/6/6 finished chemo jan 07
11 5FU/12 Levcouorin/10oxaliplatim
port removed jun 07
anal fistula surgery oct 05 may 07 feb 08 sep 08 jun 09

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Lisa: So happy to hear you got reassuring news. Now you can go forward and live a wonderful life! I have paid the price (big time) twice in life due to denying/ignoring medical issues. I also have a little of an anxiety disorder. Please take this advice from someone your mother's age. Don't let anxiety suppress your common sense when something needs to get checked out, and don't let anxiety rule your every moment! Cancer or not, life is too short.

Best of everything to you!

bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 pm

That is great news, Lisa. I know you are truly relieved. Try to get your husband to go for his scope - I am sure you can convince him with all that you have read on this forum! Wishing you continued good health, and less anxiety!
45 Years Old
MYH Associated Polyposis (MAP)
Prophylactic Subtotal Colectomy 4/21/09
Uterine Cancer May 2011 (? Lynch Syndrome overlap)
Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy 5/16/11
NED
Still growing colon polyps. Hoping to prevent colon cancer.

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:01 am

Lisa - I hope the anxiety meds help. Stress can do terrible things to a body. Please tell your husband that my father died from colon cancer at the age of 67 - I was diagnosed stage 3c at the age of 43. I doubt that I would have lived close to the age of 50 (the standard age for colon cancer screening) had my cancer not been discovered when it was. I wish I had paid closer attention to my symptoms, but hey, hind sight is always 20/20.

It's funny - a girlfriend of mine said today that for women "nothing is really off limits" as far as conversation, once you've had kids. I told her that once you've had colon cancer, any scrap of dignity you had left - even after having kids, has been taken away. And in a sense it is kind of funny - I think absolutely nothing of talking about poop, colons, rectums, etc. to just about anyone. Sometimes I have to consciously remind myself that not everyone talks about this stuff as casually as they do talking about say, the weather! But we should be able to talk about it - especially to our doctors. I wish you the best of luck in finding relief for your symptoms and hope that you NEVER have to deal with a colon cancer diagnosis; or any other cancer for that matter. You take care.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

karin
Facebook Username: Karin Tobin Fagner

Postby karin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am

Lisa,
come on, it's not "silly" to have anxiety regarding colonoscopy/results.....we are just sooooo glad there was nothing there, go forward live your life, take a Vit. D supplement, and good luck to you.
Luv and Hugs,
Karin
Karin
BFF dx'd June09 w CRC & peritoneal mucinous carcinomatosis @ age 40
She beat cancer for 20 months!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”