Radiation question

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wdt

Radiation question

Postby wdt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:10 am

I posted a question a couple of days ago about radiation and rectal cancer (see radiation and travel) and have not gotten any responses, so I am asking again...

Did any of you all who had radiation treatments feel like you could have made a plane trip immediately after your last treatment? (see other post for the complete story).

Thanks!

eitter

Postby eitter » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:21 am

Here comes my honest answer, sorry I missed it the first time posted.

Radiation was a walk in the park the forst 3 weeks and then at week four my Bladder was on fire! I could barely walk. You can read more about it on my website www.runlizrun.com. After radiation I had to wait 5 weeks then have the BIG surgery.

Well we had planned a trip to start the healing process before surgery, last treatment was THursday and we left Friday. Keep this in mind we drove. We went to Laguna Beach and got a place right on the Beach, it was heavenly! I could sit on the balcony and watch the waves. Well I could not walk around town, it was to unconfortable, so my mom rented me a wheel chair, I have pictures on my website of that trip, it was over Labor Day. My daughter pushed me must of the time. And I was only able to make to the beach once to sit on the sand.

So it all depends on you and where the beams are hitting and how you are feeling. If I flew I would have needed a wheelchair to get me to the gate and after. I was that bad off, but I was sodetermined to go to the beach.

God Bless,
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

wdt

Postby wdt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks, Liz. I appreciate your relpy. I hope I get some more replies so that I can at least make a "guesstimate" as to what that last week will be like for him. I am very concerned that those last 2 weeks are when all the big problems really start to kick in. (a-la the old post entitled "my crotch is on fire...")

I don't want to discourage him, but I also don't want him to get into trouble and be far away from home... it is a hard decision to make.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:22 pm

I had 33 radiation treatments for rectal cancer a year ago. I wouldn't have had any problem with a plane trip. My seat-mates might have had a problem, since I did have some gas from time to time ...
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 pm

I believe I was pretty much fine until about a week and a half after radiation had been completed then the fire began. However, I was also on chemo and do not really know how that fit into the equation (if that was a partial cause for the burn).
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

wdt

Postby wdt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks to everyone. I still would like to hear more responses just to see what all the various experiences were. It helps me to help him, when I am prepared.

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:25 pm

I had radiation and 5FU for five weeks. My tumor was very low in my rectum. My the radiation burns were severe, it was far and away the worst part of all I've been through (and that's saying a lot). I ended up having eight weeks of radiation, with the last three being focused on lymph nodes in my groin. I can say for certain that I wouldn't have been able to make a plane trip at the end of the five weeks of full radiation. I had severe diarrhea and the burns were so bad that I couldn't really sit for more than a few minutes. I had surgery a month after my final radiation boost. My skin had healed and I was OK for surgery, but I was very disappointed by the level of fatigue that I felt during the "recovery" month. I would advise you to keep your plans as simple as possible and allow lots of time for rest.

shel28

Postby shel28 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:42 am

I've got 4 more days to go and I can barely walk. Granted my problems right now are more because I am a girl and the burning has gotten worse in that area. My butt is not too sore but the other sure is. I wouldn't go on a plane right now and walking is very tough.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

LA8

Postby LA8 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:56 am

Hi WDT

I had 5 weeks radiation (max dose) with Xeloda before my surgery Nov 30. I had no real prolems from the Radio. I took a 2 1/2 hour flight about 7 weeks after surgery with no major problems. I'm planning a 15 hour jaunt in 2 weeks. I'm not too worried (my Onc's not too pleased about it though). Hope you have a good trip!

wdt

Postby wdt » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:47 am

I am amazed at how the degree of severity for side effects can vary so widely from person to person. And I am starting to think that it makes a difference for the gender as well...! Very interesting.

Thanks for all the helpful information!

irish

Just finished

Postby irish » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:27 pm

I just finished 28 sessions of radiation with 5FU. I developed bladder, urinary track and yeast infections about the 4th week. After that clear, I was fine until the boosters. I started having leaking problems - actually still do and it has been 2 weeks.
I think you will be fine for a plane trip.

Loopy369

Postby Loopy369 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:13 pm

Just to add, I've had 23 treatments - max dose for a tumour at the top of my rectum and 2 to go, thankfully! I got cystitis with bleeding after three weeks - by some miracle no infection though I've been plagued with it since I was 9. Some of my skin is red raw - have been given hydrogel until I have finished treatment when I can some other stuff with silver in it. I also have colifoam, basically a steroid foam to self administer twice daily as I am in tears with pain every time I try to pass wind or empty my bowels - sometimes I have to just clutch onto something while the pain goes. I'm a girl too and also have bleeding which doesn't appear to be hormonal! Ho hum. Hoping the burning doesn't continue for too long after the treatment stops!!
Lisa

36, single mum of two (14 and 12) diagnosed Jan 07
Stage 3b (Rectal at 15cm)
7 weeks 5FU 24/7 Feb/Mar 07 with 5 weeks radiation.

TME, creation of J pouch and loop ileostomy 6th June 07
Another PICC line and 6 months chemo start 16th July 07

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”