scared, and a few questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lisamom2lucas

scared, and a few questions

Postby lisamom2lucas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 am

Ugh I just wrote a whole long post and it got erased!

I have been reading up and searching the web for 3 weeks now while I've had some symptoms and stumbled upon this site so I hope you don't mind me here :)

I am 29 years old and for about 3 weeks I've been feeling very bad. It all started w/ some lower back pain and mentrual like cramps, but they never went away. A week after that started I went to urgent care who diagnosed me w/ a UTI, was on antibiotics for 5 days but the symptoms didn't go away.

Talked to my primary care doc who told me to see an OBGYN. Saw an OBGYN on 2/18 who did a pelvic exam and bloodwork for possible PCOS. At this point though I felt like it was more of a digestive issue than gynocological, but that was just my feeling. Haven't gotten the results from that yet, should have them tomorrow.

On 2/19 I called my doc again w/ a lot of pain/cramping and they got me in for a pelvic ultrasound, still haven't gotten results from that although they did say that if they saw anything "serious" (masses, cysts, etc, I would get a call right away)

2/20 - head to the ER, again tons of cramping, lower back pain and then I started having horrible stomach aches. had CT scan, diagnosed me w/ gall stones and diverticulosis. They told me that I shouldn't be having all of this pain because of that and told me to follow up w/ a GI.

Yesterday I had an ultrasound of my abdomen and haven't gotten the results back on that, either. Ugh.

Had an afternoon appt w/ a GI who seemed 'puzzled' and scheduled me for a colonoscopy this friday.

I've had some changes in bowels and i feel like i have to go a lot but I can't always go. My stools look different, smaller than usual, but I don't know if that is from the fact that I havent' been eating which is due to the stomach aches and extreme anxiety. I feel constipated but I'm NOT if that makes any sense. The thing i noticed the most in the past 5 days or so is stomach aches. It gets worse after i eat usually but even right now I have stomach ache/burning feeling in my stomach and I haven't eaten since 5PM last night.

Of course my mind is running wild and I have bad anxiety as it is so I am convinced I have colon cancer. Even my GI doc said I seemed "on edge" I just can't shake it. I know I'm lucky I can get in so quickly for the colonoscopy, etc, it just seems like there is nothing else it could be at this point. I know that is doom and gloom but it's just how I feel.

Also, if I had a huge/large tumor/mass would that have shown up on a CT scan?

Thanks for any insight, replies or thoughts!

Lisa

jenhopesprays

Re: scared, and a few questions

Postby jenhopesprays » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Lisa,

Sorry you are having a "life interrupted" moment.

Get your colonoscopy and do what momma always said. "Don't borrow trouble" yet.

It's wonderful that you have followed up so quickly on this with the GI doc and are already scheduled for a scope.

Keep yourself busy until Friday. Make a date with friends. Rent a movie.

Let us know what comes up.

(((hugs))))
Stage IV: dx 8/07 at 39.. colon & liver resection & rt ovary
17 rounds of folfox.
12/08 ovary tumor removed with HIPEC & folfiri w/Avastin
9/11 liver resection # 2 followed by chemo
NED

Have Hope with Capitol H

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Postby NWgirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm so sorry you are in such pain and I hope the doctors figure this out soon and get you treated. As far as cancer, you have a lot of things on your side - age being #1. People can and do get colon cancer in their 20's - a number of people on this board can personally attest to that. BUT - it is not the norm - statistically, very few people get colon cancer in their 20's. From all the stories I've read here, I don't recall stomach pains as being one of the red flags that led to a colon cancer diagnosis. And yes, I'm pretty sure if you had any sort of a large tumor it would show up on your CT scan. Did you have to drink a contrast fluid when you had the scan? That would help a mass in your stomach, small intestine and/or colon show up better. If you drank it, you'd remember it - it doesn't taste bad, but it's no milkshake.

One thing is for sure though - when you have your colonoscopy, your doctor will know exactly what is and is not going on in your colon. It won't cover your stomach or small intestine though - that would be a different procedure, and perhaps that would be the next step they suggest if nothing shows up in your colon. But your GI doctor could deal with those areas as well as your colon, which is good.

A number of people on this board have had less than impressive experiences with ER doctors - so with all due respect to ER doctors, I wouldn't put complete faith in their diagnosis. It sounds like a GI doctor is the best place for you to be right now - YOUR GI doctor - not a random ER doctor you see once and never again. I think most of us find that "our" doctors tend to focus more on us as patients and as people and we feel better when we're in their care.

And Jen is right - get your scope - and until then, try to distract yourself with other things. Hard to do when you are in pain, I know. On a separate note, when I was in my 20's I had UTI's every 3-4 months. My PCP finally sent me to a Urologist who prescribed me something (this was years ago) and they finally went away and didn't come back. UTI's can be extremely painful, but it sounds like you've got more than that going on.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

KarMel
Facebook Username: Karin Gray

Postby KarMel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 pm

you could search thru these threads to find one from a few months ago that asked "what symptoms were you having at diagnosis? " ( or close to that )

You will find that many of us, myself included , ( and I have stage IV, my tumors did show up on the CT ) had no symptoms whatsoever similar to yours. I had some loosey-goosey stools for several weeks and that was it. I had some blood work which showed very mild anemia.

Regarding your gallstones and diverticulosis... were any dietary changes recommended? It is possible ( and no, I am not a gastroenterologist) that they could be responsible for some symtpoms.

Good luck and please update us after your scope.
Stage IV, April 2009.
Treatments...multiple .
Currently none
"It is well, with my soul"

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Yeah, there's a whole lot of stuff that could be going on there that's NOT cancer, so try and relax a bit. A little Lorazepam/Ativan might be in order :lol:. I too am glad you're seeing a GI doc whose ordering a colonoscopy. Better safe than sorry and you can rule a lot of stuff out htat way. One thing I would add to everything said so far is that if your pain really is more in your stomach and not your intestines, it might be worth asking the GI doc if he'll do an Endoscopy along with the Colonoscopy, especially if the Colonoscopy turns up nothing. You could be dealing with simple ulcers if it's more stomach pain, and it's better to just do one prep and have them both done while your out. I had them both at the same time and I was none the wiser. Fantastic drugs they give you :D
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

lisamom2lucas

Postby lisamom2lucas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 pm

thanks everyone I appreciate the replies!

i think the symptom i'm most worried about is my change in bowel habits since it seems like there isn't a lot of info on WHY except colon cancer!! Stupid google.

I don't know if it's more in my stomach or my intestines as I have stomach aches/pain as well as pelvic pain and lower back pain!

I'm just SCARED. I pray that if it IS cancer than it's early since it wasn't seen on CT scan or anything else, but I know you usually don't get symptoms generally until it's large/spread.

I'm having a hard time because one of my good friends moms just passed away this afternoon from ovarian cancer and it just puts the whole cancer thing in my head even more. My father in law also passed away from cancer and it just seems like it's all around.

Sorry to be a debbie downer and thanks for listening.

hannahw

Postby hannahw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:18 pm

Stupid google.

:lol: This made me laugh because when it comes to being an informed patient (or caregiver) google is both the best and worst thing going for you. There's lots of good info out there, but plenty of misleading, and straight up wrong info too. You're never going to know the full scope of the possibilities that could explain your symptoms. There really are a number of possible explanations that have nothing to do with cancer.

It's easier said than done, but don't panic. There's already some very good news - you're on top of it and you're being taken seriously by your docs. I've read a couple stories on this board of people who had to fight like crazy to get their doc to investigate their symptoms. Be persistent and if there's a diagnosis, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Sorry to be a debbie downer and thanks for listening.

It's not debbie downer to feel scared and anxious about the unknown. Discussing this stuff is exactly what this board is for. Bring it on. In any circle of friends (especially a younger group) it can be hard to find someone who gets it when it comes to medical issues. You have a whole community of people who get it here.
Last edited by hannahw on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daughter of Dad with Stage IV CC

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Lisa, you are so lucky you got a doc willing to listen and go the extra mile and order you a scope. I'm really happy about that for you! I had no symptoms when diagnosed like most of us on here. Did they check you for parasites? You would need to give them a stool sample for that. That can be very painful and until it's diagnosed and treated will stay that way. There are many things it could be. Listen to what others on here have told you, yes you can get this in your 20's but it really is not the norm, it just seems that way because this board is for the younger diagnosed (don't know why an old fart like me is here).

Keep yourself busy, tomorrow is Thursday and you'll be busy with the prep, Friday will come and you will hopefully know when your through.

I'll be thinking of you and would be more than happy to pray for you if you would like.

Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 am

Hi Llsa:

Just thinking about how you are doing? Have you gotten any results back yet? if so, I hope everything was great news. Let us know if you have time. Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

lisamom2lucas

Postby lisamom2lucas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks so much for asking about me!

My colonoscopy is in 4 hours. The prep yesterday was terrible and I still have to drink 1 liter more in the next 2 hours. UGH! If I can make it through that disgusting stuff I can make it through anything - HA HA HA!

I'll let you guys know what I find out today. Of course I am just paralyzed w/ fear right now, but that is me.

Thanks again for checking up,
Lisa

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:48 am

Good luck, Lisa, with your colonoscopy today. I hope it goes well and nothing turns up. Let us know! Wishing you well!
45 Years Old
MYH Associated Polyposis (MAP)
Prophylactic Subtotal Colectomy 4/21/09
Uterine Cancer May 2011 (? Lynch Syndrome overlap)
Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy 5/16/11
NED
Still growing colon polyps. Hoping to prevent colon cancer.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”