Advice please radiation and travel

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wdt

Advice please radiation and travel

Postby wdt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:46 pm

Ok, everyone out there who has gone through radiation for rectal cancer, I need your assistance. My husband is currently in his 3rd week (out of a total of 5) of radiation treatments. He is getting his radiation AFTER his surgery (I know a lot of you out there got yours before you had surgery).

Given your experience, do you think he will be in any condition to try to make a long plane ride (2hrs followed by connection and another 3hr flight)? I have read about how so many of you have experienced bad diarrhea and the painful sunburned rear end skin. Even if the Dr cleared him to go (if his white count isn't extremely low), I just don't know if he would feel like sitting in that plane seat for so long. I told him if he got a first class ticket, maybe that would be better, but I don't know it that would be the answer. He wants to go, but I am so afraid. We are afraid to book him a ticket until the last minute to see how he is. Also, I don't like the idea of him being so far away from home if he were to feel ill...

What about the fatigue? Does anybody out there think they could - in retrospect - have make a trip like this immediately after their last radiation tretment?

As always, thanks for your help. :)

BTW...I have emailed Ellen to ask her to bring colorectal cancer awareness to the forefront. I told her she is riding high right now post-oscar hoop-la and she is the media darling for the moment... she is in a powerful position to be able to spread our word!

shel28

Postby shel28 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:41 pm

I am on my fifth week and have another half week to go. I don't think he would feel like sitting on a plane like that for 2 hours. First class would be bettter. I am sitting on my side right now or on my knees. That seems to help. I have periodic diarrea and very painful bowel movements. And my skin really hurts. If it is a fun trip maybe he should do it but first class would be much better. Maybe a butt donut would help. It is good to have fun things to look forward to. But if it is for work. Forget it. I don't feel like doing a whole lot any more- even if it is fun. I just want to sleep-mostly to get a break from the pain.

My radiation was before surgery with 5 FU as well.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

Postby GUEST » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:39 am

My husband had 7 weeks of radiation, and he really had no side effects other that fatigue. He had no burning, diarrhea, etc. He also had a little nausea from the Xeloda, but the Zofran took care of it.

He would have been able to do the trip. It just really depends on how he is doing. Any diarrhea would make the trip difficult. Also, he probably would not have been able to make any mad dashes in changing planes.

MA

wdt

Postby wdt » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:37 am

Thank you SO much to everyone who replied. I am just going to wait to see how he is doing, and maybe he could make last minute plans. There is also the possibility that his white count could be too low to travel, and would have to get that checke just prior to leaving as well. That could end up being the make or break on the deal.

Thanks again

LA8

Postby LA8 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:48 am

wdt - here's some encouragement for you - Mon - 3 hour bus ride to London followed by 1 hour on the subway to airport, followed by 2 hour cramped flight to Geneva, followed by 12 hour not so cramped flight to Johannesburg, followed by 1000 mile trek across the plains of Africa in a car with no a/c and no power steering! resting now on the south coast - tomorrow 1 hr flight to cape town followed by a 12 hour flight to London followed by a 2 hour flight to Copenhagen! I had my Radio/Chemo in aug - oct, and surgery nov 30 2006.

I didn't really have and problems even though I'm on Adjuvant at the moment although you are advised to take a roll of TP and a spare pair of underwear :?

Its truly amazing what cancer-fighters can accomplish!

wdt

Postby wdt » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:16 pm

Well, here is an update...my husband made it just fine. He had his last radiation treatment on friday and got on a plane the nexd day. He had about a 2hr flight, a connection, and then a three and a half hour flight. We did spend the extra money and booked a first class seat for him, so he had a bathroom close by and more roomy, comfortable seat. It was certainly worth the extra $$.

I am happy to report he did just fine on the flights. He had some problems related to the radiation, but nothing that he couldn't handle, since he had been having it for 5 weeks. He took some pain pills and some immodium, which helped. (I suggested both of those based on what you all had recommended on this post and his onc agreed with it.)

We are just glad he got to get out of town. It was a nice way for him to sort of celebrate the end of the radiation treatments. Now, onward to the chemo for the next 6 months.

Thanks everyone!

wdt

Postby wdt » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:26 pm

LA8, that truly IS an encouraging story!

My husband has traveled extensively for his job for many years now and he has always carried a spare pair of undies in his breifcase (I just realized that was a pun!) for emergencies - such as getting stuck in an airport,etc. Now, he jokes that he keeps the spare pair on had for "other" reasons....as you so well know. The TP suggestion is a good one. We have also become big fans of Preparation wipes. They are medicated and are the same as Tucks. Tucks makes an "on the go" portable version that is in a foil pack that you can carry with you. They really help to soothe the bum.

Sounds like you are having a bonafide journey! Best of luck to you and enjoy your stay! That is great that you are seeing so much of the world!!

LA8

Postby LA8 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi, wdt and everyone else! I'm glad your husband made it ok! I did as well (sitting in a rather cool internet cafe in Copenhagen). On my 2nd last leg (12 hr flight) The plane was jammed! All my life I have asked for a window seat, as I did this time. Big mistake! I made it about 3 houre, excused myself and spent the rest of the flight hanging around the back door (747) near the toilets (and the bar). Man, am I tired!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”