Therapist/Support Group

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Therapist/Support Group

Postby klryder02 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Hello-

Does anyone see a therapist or some type of weekly/monthly cancer support group?

If so, does it seem to be helpful to you?

I know I don't have to tell ya'll this, but the mental part of this whole cancer fight seems to be adding up lately.

I've always been a person who likes to handle these types of things on my own..but now I'm not so sure.

-Kelly
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

tennislover

Support Groups

Postby tennislover » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello there! I feel like I could write a whole page on this subject but I will try to keep it short. I do go to a cancer support group, I have gone to a therapist and here is my experience. The support groups I think work depending on what you are needing to get from it. Everyone talks about anything. I personally have gotten more support from the online groups like this one but I think it is worth a shot! I go now to try and support new diagnosis and just to check in. I also went to therapy, tried that for awhile but they didnt "get it" I actually have found my therapy through a man who does hypnosis, meditation and guided imagry. I know that might sound whacky but it is what works for me. I think it is good to try everything until you find what is going to fit the kind of support that you need to feel better. So my advice, try the group, try a therapist and if it doesnt work, keep trying things until you find what fits you!

Christine

Postby Christine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Kelly,

When I was initially diagnosed, I did not want to attend a support group or get any outside help, but, like you said, the mental stuff really does add up. I've done both support groups and one-on-one sessions. It took three tries to find a support group that I really liked and felt like a fit. Remember, it's okay to go once and not return if it's not the right place for you.

As for the therapist, I have been seeing a psychologist at a cancer support center. If you're going for individual therapy, I would highly recommend someone who is focused on treating cancer patients. Many support centers even offer sessions for free and just ask for a donation if you can afford it. My psychologist helped me to deal with the anger I was feeling last spring and now she's helping me as I work towards living a "normal" life that doesn't revolve arounds doctor appointments and tests/treatments.

I think it's a good idea to try both scenarios out. If it doesn't work for you, there's no reason you can't stop.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”