Lynch syndrome

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cbroughton

Lynch syndrome

Postby cbroughton » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:43 am

Hello
I read a short article in the newspaper last week about Lynch syndrome and DNA and I wonder if anyone can tell me more about its association with cc.
Candace

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 am

Here is a really good article...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lynch- ... DSECTION=1

THis is associated hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC) syndrome -- search on this site for HNPCC.. good info..

Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

cbroughton

Lynch syndrome

Postby cbroughton » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:47 am

Cathy
Thank you for the reference. I just read it...and will ask our medical team about it.
Candace

nhoeft

Lynch Syndrome - HNPCC

Postby nhoeft » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:49 pm

I was diagnosed with colon cancer last November. I had DNA testing done after having genetic counciling in December since I was the third sibling to get colon cancer by age 45. (also my father had it at 46). The results came back positive that I have the gene defect and HNPCC. My children will be tested at age 18 as well as my nephews and other siblings. It's a whole different ball game for HNPCC. The testing schedule is different than others with colon cancer. PLEASE....if you suspect at all that you may have HNPCC you need to tell your doctor and push for genetic testing to be done. The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has an incredible facility: The Hillman Cancer Center. The doctor's there are very aware of HNPCC and they have genetic councelors there that can help you find the right medical staff near where you live. They have a data base across the country they can access and tell you where to seek the right help. It's much different than the usual recommendations for further testing after the cancer is gone. Not just your colon is at risk with HNPCC. Many other organs have a high risk of cancer as well and require regular testing. I hope you talk to your doctor. And you may need to be very persistent. Just keep pushing to be tested if you think you qualify. It's important to get the word out to your whole family if you have it. Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”