How are you doing after ileostomy reversal?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Airmid

Re: How are you doing after ileostomy reversal?

Postby Airmid » Sun May 02, 2010 5:42 pm

TWO MONTHS AFTER REVERSAL
It's been over two months since I had my reversal and I am seeing improvement little, by little, by little,....(that's just my impatience with getting better). Now I measure my progress on a weekly basis rather than on a daily basis as I was in the beginning. Just makes more sense.

Compared to a month ago, my daily bms have been reduced by about half--thanks to the addition of metamucil three times a day to my diet. The metamucil makes it much easier to have a bm. The Metamucil wafers are handy to carry when I need to go out. I've only taken immodium once which stopped some major clustering I was having because of diarrhea. I bought some prune juice to use (in accordance with the MD Anderson program) but have not needed to trigger a bm, probably because I’m not taking much immodium. Prior to cancer and surgery, I’d never had problems with constipation or diarrhea and now my plumbing is returning to the way it was prior to cancer in this respect.

If I’d been aware of the MD Anderson Bowel Management program earlier I think it would have been a godsend during my first month after surgery and I might be further along in my recovery. I’m going to talk to my onc about the MDA BMP at my next appointment to see if he’s even aware of it. Maybe he had a good reason to make me wait a month before starting on Metamucil and advising me to avoid taking immodium.

My body has settled into a routine of needing to eliminate 3 times a day around breakfast, lunch and dinner times. I still have clustering and usually need to go 2-3 times before the job is done. On an average day I have to make 8-9 separate trips to the bathroom, but that's a lot better than the 15 times I was making in that first month after surgery.
I usually feel the urge to go the bathroom as soon as I start to eat, which is sometimes frustrating because it interrupts my meals. I've only eaten out at a restaurant a couple of times and sat pretty close to the washrooms. I'm hoping, in time, that this issue will resolve so that I can go out, sit through and enjoy a restaurant meal. I guess I could always try immodium?

I continue to experiment, adding new foods to my diet. Tried a tiny portion of some spicy thai food and was OK. I had a couple of bad days of gas pains after I decided to eat some coleslaw--won't be trying that again for a while. Mostly I can eat just about anything that I did before the reversal. I’m still staying away from too many beans. I am going to try spinach salad this week—that was one of the foods that would clean me out with diarrhea before all the cancer stuff. It will be interesting to see if it will have the same effect now.

There were a few times this past month when I was up through the night having to go several times to the bathroom that I did not experience in the first month. It really messed up my sleep patterns, and I was going on 5 hours of sleep a night for a few weeks. I told my doctor about my sleep problems and she put me on a med that has really helped--now I sleep through the night for a good solid 8 hours.

Lately one thing I can't figure out is why I'll have a day when I have 10 bms and then for the next couple of days I only have 3 bms, when I’ve eaten the same amount and the same foods almost every day. Anyone else have this experience?

Compared to my first month after reversal this past month, life is sort of returning to normal. I have been able to get out of the house for longer and longer periods of time and I am gaining confidence that I’ll be able to return to work soon. It would be a dream if I could get down to having 3 to 6 bms a day and maybe in time I will. That first month after reversal was difficult and I felt discouraged and doubtful that things would ever improve but thanks to the support of the kind people on board I made it through. Thanks again to all. :D
Airmid
02/08 DX-mCRC, liver mets
03/08 Xeloda 6wks, Radiation
06/08-LAR, Temp Ileostomy
10/08 Folfox 8 treatments
04/09-Liver resected
05/09 5FU 8 treatments
02/10 Ileostomy Reversal
11/11 CT Scan NED

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun May 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Glad to hear things are going well for you, Airmid. Sounds about like the progress I made. I'm down to 2 or 3 times a day now. It's been about 8 months. My experience is that if something affected you before you had cancer and surgery, it will probably do it in a more extreme fashion afterward. I'm thinking about getting constipated from eating cheese, gas from beans, etc. It's a good rule of thumb, anyway.

Lately I've been worried about herniating my stoma scar area from straining from constipation. I called the surgeon's office and he suggested taking some fiber, like Metamucil, to try to minimize the constipation. I have my one-year post-op colonoscopy coming up in June, so he suggested that we check it out then. I don't have any pain in that area, just a kind of strange sensation from time to time, and it feels like a weak spot on my abdomen. On the other hand, I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac, so I try to factor that into my post-cancer reality checks.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Airmid

Postby Airmid » Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi Eric
I'll probably make that a small spinach salad so that way I'll have a small clean out. I think I may balance that spinach salad by eating it along with a bowl of white rice (soluble fiber) and maybe that way I'll avoid having a clean out at all.

I've never had the constipation problem, but would tend to have more diarrhea issues if anything. I was wondering if you've ever tried metamucil for your constipation problem? Apparently metamucil (soluble fiber) works well for both diarrhea and constipation--I was reading information from a website about IBS that Jon Olis recommended http://www.helpforibs.com/. On this website they say that soluble fiber "soothes and regulates the digestive tract, stabilizes the intestinal contractions resulting from the gastrocolic reflex (which go awry in people with IBS due to a brain-bowel miscommunication), and normalizes bowel function from either extreme. This means it regulates both over-motility and under-motility of the colon". Incidentally, 2 of the foods listed there as a "Eat with Care" insoluble fiber foods are arugala and raw tomatoes. Even though we don't necessarily have IBS, our bowels certainly have been through enough (slashing, burning and poisoning) to be IRRITABLE.

It would be great if the metamucil could help you with that constipation so you don't have to strain so much. Hopefully, you've healed well at you stoma scar incision and won't have any hernia issues.
Airmid
04/09-Liver resected
05/09 5FU 8 treatments
02/10 Ileostomy Reversal
11/11 CT Scan NED

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun May 02, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm going to buy some Metamucil tomorrow and give it a whirl. I do eat lots of white rice, so I think I get plenty of soluble fibre. Interesting about the arugula and raw tomato. In my case, cooked tomato, too.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Sun May 02, 2010 10:08 pm

BrownBagger wrote:I'm going to buy some Metamucil tomorrow and give it a whirl. I do eat lots of white rice, so I think I get plenty of soluble fibre. Interesting about the arugula and raw tomato. In my case, cooked tomato, too.

Get the wafers, not the powder. Just my 2 cents. Metamucil has way more soluble fiber content then white rice so it really helps.
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Diagnosed 6/04 Stage III CC, 7/16 Nodes, FAP
Subtotal Colectomy 6/04 failed,Ileostomy 6/04
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Laser Endoscopy 8/05 perforated duodenum
Emergency surgery to repair perforation
Currently 9.5 years NED!

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Sun May 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Airmid,

Glad to hear things are getting better. At some point you'll start measuring progress month by month so don't give up. Things get pretty out of balance from surgery and take a while to return to a new normal. I think the reason some days can be worse then others is both what you eat and how settled your system is. If things are moving slowly and stay controlled then more water is removed from the stool and volume goes down. If it moves fast the opposite happens. Good luck with continued improvement.

Do you have a link to the MD Anderson Bowel Management program?
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

Airmid

Postby Airmid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Jon
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I know there are so many variables that affect how our digestive systems work. Even though I think I eat pretty much the same thing and the same amounts every day, I know there are things I have no control over. There are things like hormones, adrenaline etc , that affect how our digestive systems function.

I do have some links to the MD Anderson website: Bowel management at http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-c ... index.html and Frequent Stooling at http://www2.mdanderson.org/app/pe/index ... c&docid=34.
Hi Eric
From what I’ve read, you will need to drink quite a bit of water with Metamucil to help with constipation. Experiment with the amount of metamucil and the water you need and let us know how the Metamucil works for you.

Sometimes I feel like my body has become a science experiment.
1. Measure what I put in (food, water, meds)
2. Account for variables (exercise, sleep, stress)
3. Measure what comes out (poop size, amount quantity, quality, frequency)
4. Repeat experiment until desired results are achieved

I think some days I’ll experiment and some days I’ll just “go with the flow” pun intended.
Airmid
04/09-Liver resected
05/09 5FU 8 treatments
02/10 Ileostomy Reversal
11/11 CT Scan NED

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Mon May 03, 2010 9:42 am

Just from the perspective of someone 5+ years out. It just becomes normal, whatever normal is for you. Whatever the pattern. For me I don't think about it much.

Eventually you'll realize you stopped counting. :D
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

530jgs
Facebook Username: 530jgs

Postby 530jgs » Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Airmid, i am just behind you on the ileostomy reversal. three weeks today i had my reversal. so far i have been pretty lucky. i do go 4-5 times the first thing in the morning but there have been days that i do not go in the evening. i have been in the gym spinning on my bike ok. i have been a veggie and nut foodie forever. i decided to buy a vit mix blender and have been having all of my veggies, nuts, fruits, and soy protein through smoothies. i have added foods including fish and chicken, and cooked veggies sparingly. i do not know if others have used blenders but i really think it has helped me. i have added metamucil and probiotics also. each day is a new battle and new challenge Airmid but hopefully this will be nothing but a distant memory for us. to your health...jim
stage III rectal cancer with recent ileostomy reversal

mikefunkpac

Postby mikefunkpac » Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 pm

I am SOOOOO happy to have stumbled on this stream!!!! I just scheduled my iliostomy reversal today (June 7 is my date with my surgeon) and I have been apprehensive about what to expect. I am very grateful to all of you who have shared your experiences, it makes me feel much more optomistic and informed as to what to expect. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
I was stage IV, T3 N1 M0 post surgery N 0-20. Completed 36 radiation treatements with M-F 5fu infusion (lost 30# on my already skinny frame). J-loop reconstruction (lost 10# more post surgery). I then completed 5 treatments with FulFox, had to stop the oxali due to severity of neuropathy, finished all but the last dose of 5FU and leukovorin due to severiy of side effects (gained 10# though). I'm doing great, now!!! (Gained 10# more) It's so nice not to be nauseas and exhausted all the time and able to taste!! Now I'm looking forward to being able to poop again, too!! :D

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Wed May 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Good luck with everything Mike. You've been thru a lot.
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm

I bought some Metamucil wafers last week and they're working very well. I'm more regular and less constipated that I had been. In recent days I've been eating two wafers with my shredded wheat in the morning and then having another couple (two to a package) in the evening. My digestive function is a lot more like it was pre-cancer now than at any time since my reversal, so that's good. I'm probably hitting the can 3 times a day on average, but it's at my convenience and thanks to the wafers (I think), getting more accomplished.

It's not that I was unaware of Metamucil or its potential benefits, but I can be a stubborn cuss from time to time, and I resisted the obvious for months for reasons probably not worth going into. Stubborn cuss reasons.
Eric, 58

Jon Olis

Postby Jon Olis » Thu May 13, 2010 7:04 pm

I understand Eric. We don't want to admit a supplement like this can help. But once you're there things just get better. I buy this stuff online, 10 boxes at a time. Much more convenient then trying to find it in the stores and its less then $5/box.
Jon Olis
2009 Colondar Model
Folfox
Ileostomy Rev 1/05
Currently 9.5 years NED!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm

The Metamucil wafers are working great. They just seem to lube everything up and it slides right out. Nice. I've been playing around with the dosage. I'm down to one wafer in the morning with my cereal, and that seems to be sufficient. I OD'd at one point over the weekend and got into a cluster/Imodium situation. That's reversal for you--the old trial and error thing.
Eric, 58

RickMurtagh

Postby RickMurtagh » Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 pm

so far I have tried all kinds of things and all I have had is diarrhea, more or less. I have not tried the Metamucil wafers yet, but I am hoping they will do something for me when I do. This is nuts. My doctor says at this point I am within the range of normal and that things will get better during the next month or two. I hope so. So far only Lomotil has made a bit of difference. Still - two weeks ago I was pretty sure I was going to die from this, now it seems I am to live while longer, if only to help keep the economy strong for the people who make Depends.
Rick, 61
DX III two tumors Feb 09
Chemo/rad March 09
Ileo June 09
FOLFOX July 09
Takedown April 10
Mets to the sacrum and presacral area March 11 - NOT
Chronic infection of sacrum that looked like cancer (including a blockage)!
Permanent ileo April 11

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”