How are you doing after ileostomy reversal?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Joe the Trucker

Re: How are you doing after ileostomy reversal?

Postby Joe the Trucker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:40 am

Hi Everyone
I had rectal tumours meaning the complete removal of my rectum and a straight coloanal join done.
My journey started with a colonoscopy sep12 then 6 weeks Chemoradiation before christmas, some
recovery time then the open tme surgery mid feb, with a temp loopileostomy, next step was 6 months chemo (I elected for Folfiri)

I am now in hospital recovering from the reversal surgery and its tough going. Nothing happened for first 4 days only cramps and pain, only this morning have I started passing wind and loose movement and it has taken some of the pressure off.

I know this isnt going to be easy and as my title says I am a trucker so wont have access to bathrooms all the time and this is a bit worrying.

Reading all your posts have helped me on my journey and I thank you all greatly.

Joe Dublin - Ireland

justin case

Postby justin case » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Immodium as it is called here in the US, can be your good friend, although holding a movement may still be a lot painful. Give it some time, and you should be OK. In my case it turned out well.
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Joe the Trucker wrote:Hi Everyone
I had rectal tumours meaning the complete removal of my rectum and a straight coloanal join done.
My journey started with a colonoscopy sep12 then 6 weeks Chemoradiation before christmas, some
recovery time then the open tme surgery mid feb, with a temp loopileostomy, next step was 6 months chemo (I elected for Folfiri)

I am now in hospital recovering from the reversal surgery and its tough going. Nothing happened for first 4 days only cramps and pain, only this morning have I started passing wind and loose movement and it has taken some of the pressure off.

I know this isnt going to be easy and as my title says I am a trucker so wont have access to bathrooms all the time and this is a bit worrying.

Reading all your posts have helped me on my journey and I thank you all greatly.

Joe Dublin - Ireland

I travelled a lot after my reversal, Joe, and I didn't have any problems. It wasn't always easy, but I never had an accident. Good luck!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

Joe the Trucker

Postby Joe the Trucker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:50 am

Hello to everyone from rainy wintery Dublin Ireland

Just to give you an update on how things are progressing, spent my first night at home last night after being released from hospital .
Things went well during the day and I thought this mightnt be too bad but then things started moving and I spent most of the night in the bathroom, not any more than 1 hour sleep without going.
In the bed now at 11am totally exhausted.
Looking for some help and advice about immodium and diet etc because as good as my team were and still are they dont give you much help and advice when its all over.

I am sure like most straight joiners I am probably having doubts as to wether I did the right thing getting reversed as I found the ileostomy no problem and was able to eat anything and go anywhere and suffered no pain!

Hope all doing well

Joe

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”