chemo starts Monday

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Carolyn JB

chemo starts Monday

Postby Carolyn JB » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:16 pm

We met with the oncologist on this past Friday and chemo will start Monday - Folfox with Avastan, Magnesium and Calcium. I am nervous about the side effects but also ready to get fighting this! Anyone have any suggestions, etc for Monday??

Carolyn

Pollyanna

Postby Pollyanna » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:39 pm

My advice? Go in to this with a completely open head, heart and soul. Know that the drugs that they give you will be very strong, but they need to be strong to eradicate the cancer.

Go in with an attitude of "receiving" chemotherapy, not that you're undergoing chemotherapy - see the difference? I look at my onco nurses as amazing, giving angels, and treat them accordingly - it is with them that I am on this journey.

There's an excellent CD of Dr. Bernie Segal's - it's called "Getting Ready", and it breaks things down into three sections - gettting ready for surgery, getting ready for radiation, and getting ready for chemotherapy. It's a wonderful meditation - he's got a very soothing voice, and I've fallen asleep every time I've listened to it - something must have sunk in subliminally, because it's truly lessened the apprehension.

As for any side effects, the big thing to keep in mind is that everyone is different. So just because it said something may happen in a book, it doesn't necessarily make it a given that it's going to happen to you.

If music calms you, take it along. Some people feel a metallic taste in their mouth once the infusion starts. My friend took a yogurt along to coat her mouth. Others take candy. Usually the oncology dept has supplies like this, along with juice and ice chips, and popsicles.

Best of wishes for a healing time on Monday.

Hugs,
Shelley :>)

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Carolyn-

The thing my oncol. told me...and I experienced is that it isn't going to be as bad as you think.

I personally thought chemo. was going to be a horrific experience, and that is not the case.

Like Shelley said, everyone's experience is different, but my first chemo was the easiest!

Good luck.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Yes, as they have already said, you may or may not have side effects. If you do, I'd say to be very communicative with your doctors and nurses. Let them know if you are feeling sick from the chemotherapy ... many times there are ways to manage side effects but your team can only help you if they know what you are experiencing. My main side effects from 5FU were a lot of diarrhea and fatigue, and a very small appetite. I think that when you get your first infusion, you should not eat any of your favorite foods. This way, IF you do get sick or feel bad (and I am not saying that you will, but IF you do ...) then you will not make the association with the foods that you like. This is advice that someone gave to me when I started treatment, and I think it makes sense.

You'll probably find that chemo isn't as bad as it sounds, but if you do have problems post a note here and maybe someone will have some good, helpful, practical advice to help manage side effects. Best wishes ...

Rodney

ASTEPHENS33

My experience

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:37 pm

I can totally relate to feeling nervous about starting chemo. However, my first session was anti-climatic. It wasn't as difficult as I had projected. During the course of treatment, I'd say my symptons were things I had experienced before - just maybe more extreme. Like my feet hurting - it was like having blisters. About the worse for me was the tiredness that came with the chemo - just feeling drained. It wasn't pleasant, by any means. The days I was off, I'd obsess about wanting to be on the chemo and fighting the cancer and when I was on the chemo, I thought about wanting to stop - in other words, I always found something to obsess about. As others have said, everyone will experience it differently. Keeping up with others - like through the forum - was extremely helpful for my emotional well-being and people could tell me things that only those people who had gone through it would be able to tell.

missjv

Postby missjv » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:54 am

hi,
well my advice is drink alot of water! 70% of chemo goes to cancer the rest floats around your system and you need to flush it out. the chemo nurses told me don't ever show up to chemo without bottled water so i bring that and orange gatoraide. i had a rough time the 1st day but now i go in and i know all the nurses and alot of the other folks who are receiving chemo for various cancers and we all sit around and talk, one lady brings brownies and another brings lemon squares. go in with a good attitude it will help i started out on the wrong foot cause i was mad at the world and mad cause i had to go there and then i saw a 9 year old having chemo and that also changed my bad attitude and it sure made me quit feeling sorry for myself. it is scary at first but now i really don't mind going cause i know i have 7 more to go then im done, and im thankful there is medicine available to keep me alive. you will do fine but if you do have any uncomfortable side effects let the docs know because alot of stuff can be avoided with the proper pre meds before chemo. you might lose your appetite some like i did so i drink alot of boost shakes when i don't feel like eating to get some nutrition, other then that you will do fine, and bring a friend with you that also helps, my brother goes with me and on days he can't go various friends go with me. well good luck you will do great and before you know it it will be over with.

missjv

Wendy

Postby Wendy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi Carolyn,

Make sure you eat before you go to the clinic. Any food I ate at the clinic, I can not eat to this day. I totally associate the food to the whole chemo process. I was never really sick, but rode a wave of nausea most days. Make sure if you have any feelings of nausea, you take medication to combat it because there are no medals given to those who brave it out.
For me my first day of chemo was a little emotional as up to that day it had not really sunk into my head that I had cancer, but being in the room with a lot of older people, and being hooked up to the toxic chemicals, made me realize how real everthing was.

Try to relax - it is a long day.

Wendy
www.wendysbattle.com

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:04 am

The first side effect I felt from my first treatment was the tingling in my fingers from the oxaliplatin. My first thought was, "It must be working!" I went into every infusion with the idea that it was a good thing. I was also very happy to get unhooked from my pump two days later. I kept telling myself that chemo was my friend. Don't fight it. Work with it. You're on the same team.

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 pm

My first side effect was also the finger tingling from the oxyplatin. I had to tone it down by 25% later as it was causing too many problems. I am in the middle of my 6th cycle and will have 6 more to go after this. Just keep telling yourself you can do this, and yes, make sure you drink a minimum of 8 8oz glasses of liquid daily, especially during the chemo week like suggested. I bring a craft with me and usually have at least one friend sit with me. I think the nursing staff are such a blessing and I look forward to visiting with them too.
Hang in there.
Robin

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:00 pm

I had to cut back on my chemo by 20% about halfway through as well. A lot of people do.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”