Undiagnosed - Can I finally let colon cancer thoughts go?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Guest1516

Undiagnosed - Can I finally let colon cancer thoughts go?

Postby Guest1516 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:52 am

Hi everyone.

I've written to this board many times in the past fearing CC and have received great advice here. I've feared CC since I've had a lump in my lower abdomen for over 10 years and I had a grandfather who died of it over 30 years ago. I'm also uninsured and was told to go to the doc anyway-- they can't deny me at the hospital. Well, last week I finally was forced to go to the emergency room with unbearable abdominal and back pain in which I nearly passed out. They ran an abdominal CT scan WITHOUT any contrast and it showed kidney stones. But, this isn't the area where my lump is.

So I guess my question would be...wouldn't CC show up somewhere on a CT without contrast? A lump, lymphnode or something after 10 years? (BTW, I also had a clear chest xray). I still feel like something is wrong but since receiving a phone call that my bill would be over $11,000 for that ER visit, I"m afraid to ask them anything else!!!

Thanks!

NWgirl
Facebook Username: Belle Piazza

Re: Undiagnosed - Can I finally let colon cancer thoughts go?

Postby NWgirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 pm

If I was this concerned about colon cancer, I wouldn't trust the advice or comments of an internet support group to diagnose me. With all due respect, the people here are not doctors. I'm sure someone has told you before that the best test for colo-rectal cancer is a colonoscopy. If you have no insurance, I would start with your local chapter of the American Cancer Society and/or your local health department to find out where to go for this procedure where they either wouldn't charge you - or would work with you on some sort of a payment plan.

I've never had kidney stones, but nurses have told me the pain can be as bad as child birth - so I've heard it is extremely painful.
Belle - "Don't Retreat - Reload"DX 10/07 Stage III Rectal
Surgery 11/07; 27 of 38 nodes
Perm Colostomy 8/11
12/10 recurrence lungs & LN's
VATS Jan 2011
Radiation Oct 2013
Chemo for Life
2012 Colondar Model

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:06 pm

I completely agree with NW girl, we can't tell you if you have cancer although if you'd had a colon tumor for ten years it would probably be showing in your liver or other places. Call your health off and I'm sure you can get insurance from them. You'll have to pay for it but it should be reasonable at 30.

Good luck!

BTW, my father, brother and soninlaw have all had kidney stones and they are very painful.,
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

butterfly

Postby butterfly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm

What state do you live in? Can you apply for Medicaid? Medicaid is not just for unemployed people. I also would think a public hospital would cover medical tests for uninsured patients, and should take Medicaid as well. I know in New York City that is the case.
45 Years Old
MYH Associated Polyposis (MAP)
Prophylactic Subtotal Colectomy 4/21/09
Uterine Cancer May 2011 (? Lynch Syndrome overlap)
Hysterectomy and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy 5/16/11
NED
Still growing colon polyps. Hoping to prevent colon cancer.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”