In Memory of Debbie Sparks

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Holly

In Memory of Debbie Sparks

Postby Holly » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:35 pm

I am very sad and in shock to learn that Debbie Sparks passed away peacefully surrounded by her family on February 20, 2007. Debbie was a seven year stage IV colon cancer survivor, a strong voice and active advocate for colon cancer.

Over two years ago at a colon cancer conference, I met Debbie in the conference's corporate suite in Newark. She came to me and politely asked me what pants, socks and shoes do you think I should wear? I recall telling her that I believe it is better to go darker on the bottom half become it makes one look slimmer. Only moments later, I was informed that she had recently learned that she had recurred.

Debbie, you will be missed. For those who may not have known Debbie personally, I share this link with you so that you may watch her remarkable survivor story.

http://www.livestrong.org/site/apps/nl/ ... ct=1005719

Always,

Holly

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:22 pm

hi,
wow that sucks! that poor woman went for 7 years what a shame. my sympathys to her family especially her young child. i wish someone would come up with a cure for this crappy disease. was she fighting the cancer the whole 7 years or was she in remission and it came back? if it came back it must have been very aggressive?? i guess that is the fear all of us stage 4 live with the recurrance after going through treatments and surgeries.

missjv

eitter

Postby eitter » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:05 pm

I just went to the link! My heart aches for her family!

Darn this disease, wanted to use another word!

We have got to do something to prevent this disease from ever occuring, I feel that is the key. Sure I would love a cure for all of us with it, but I want more then anything to prevent our loved ones from getting it in the first place.

God Bless,
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

wdt

Postby wdt » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:39 pm

I read this with such mixed feelings... On one hand, it is of significance that Debbie was able to live 7 years, because not so long ago this would be unheard of. However, I can't help but feel how dispicable this disease is to rear it's ugly head after so many years of survivorship. And, to read the information on the Livestrong website, her 7 years of survivorship was not exactly easy. It sounds like her days were consumed with trying to survive the many side effects of treatment.

It is so sad, on so many levels. I HATE this disease and I don't have it. I hate this disease because my husband has it and I cannot imagine my life without him...now, or in 2 years, or in 5 years, or in 7 frickin' years!!!

eddiew

Debbie

Postby eddiew » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:01 pm

I attended Debbie's funeral this morning. I am a cousin by marriage and we were one grade apart in grade and high school. What I want you to know is that Debbie loved her family and her life and that she fought very hard to stay with them until the very end. Her life and her fight against colorectal cancer are an inspiration to me and many others. I both amazed and inspired by Debbie's determination to live and plan to look to her memory for the will to overcome obstacles in my own life.

Thank you, Debbie, for the legacy you leave behind.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”