Upper endoscopy questions...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hmlee

Upper endoscopy questions...

Postby hmlee » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:10 am

Hiya everyone. So I'm going in next week for an upper endoscopy, my latest test in my bizarre GI journey. I'm crossing my fingers that this test will actually provide a few answers...but.. I've been wondering some things about the actual procedure itself.

How far down exactly does the upper endoscopy go? Does it go into the small intestine? If so... how far? It seems like the small intestine is really long so that would take a lot of scope to go far into it......

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:34 am

Hi Lee,
They usually go to the point where the Doudeum meets the small intestine. They have developed one that goes all the way but it is a capsule containing a camera and you have to swallow it. The procedure is similar to a colonoscopy but without all the preparation. I have it done regularly and they have found several lots of peptic and duodenal ulcers. I have to take somac every day to solve the problems. Don't worry it is painless and you won't remember a thing,Cheers Ron.

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:51 pm

An upper endoscopy only takes about 3-5 minutes. Depending on your Doctor, I know some will explore past your Gallbladder and into an inch or so of your Small intestines. You will hopefully fill none of that, with the sedation they give you. Good luck with your test. :D

ASTEPHENS33

Colonoscopies and Endoscopies

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:01 am

Upper endoscopies can be done at the same time as a colonoscopy, since its the same doctor.

naomi

LETTING YOU KNOW

Postby naomi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:41 am

A COUNSLER AT THE CANCER TREATMENT CENTER OF AMERICA TOLD ME THAT THE UPPER ENDOSCOPIES WERE LIKE MAMOGRAMS FOR ONE BREAST!! THEY ONLY TELL HALF STORIES, DONT SETTLE FOR THAT!!1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”