Sever Pain End of Radiation for Colorectal Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mikeymike

Sever Pain End of Radiation for Colorectal Cancer

Postby mikeymike » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:35 pm

I am in my 4th week of radiation and chemo for colorectal cancer. I use 5FU 24 hour pack and get radiation every day. The pain is starting to become unbearable and I have to go to the bathroom several times a day. Yesterday I went 8 times and it just made the pain even worse.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on how to ease the pain. I have painkillers, have used tylonol, use aquafor, soak pads my radiologist gave me and biofin cream. If anyone has any other home remedies or otherwise that I have not tried please let me know.

Thanks
Mike

shel28

Postby shel28 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:45 am

Hey Mike. I am right there with you. It is my fourth week of radiation for rectal cancer as well. Check the post "my crotch is on fire". My dotctor gave me proctofoam and that helps with the burning in my anus (hate to have to talk about my butt but it does help). You can put it inside. I also put vagasil on the outside of my anus as well. I know it is a girl product but it works for that too and you can get it over the counter. I never thought I would be talking so much about bowel movements and unmentionable body parts but when you are in pain there's no shame. Oh and I put aloe on my skin and that helps as well. I tried Vicodin yesterday and that seemed to help me tolerate the pain more but it made me sick to my stomach.

Hang in there and know that you are not the only one suffering through this right now and that many others have made it through and so will we. :)
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:03 am

Are you taking Imodium to slow down the diarrhea? It certainly helped me through the treatment last November. Don’t let yourself become dehydrated from all the diarrhea.

Hang in there,

Dave

Joy

Postby Joy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:21 am

Been there and it ain't funny!! :cry: I went through 28 rounds of continuous Radiation with 24x7 fanny pack of 5FU. I used Immodium up to 8 per day and this helped somewhat.

The thing that saved my butt (and sanity) was the plastic sitz bath that they gave me at the cancer clinic. It is a plastic ring(with a small basin attached) which sits directly on the toilet seat. I used to fill it with nice "warm" water and gave my raw aching butt a bit of relief.

I'm post surgery 1 year and still have "butt issues" - my sitz bath it still in use :)

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:54 pm

I had a similar pain after I completed treatment. Ask your radiation oncologist for a script for Protosol, its a steriod foam and it helped. Its a little messy to use but its better than the alternative. Hope this helped.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”