constipation helper - recipes1

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hannah

constipation helper - recipes1

Postby Hannah » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:31 am

I've seen a few posts about constipation, so here is one idea that has been a big hit for a long time on the ACOR colon cancer listserv. Here are two (slightly different) recipes for fruit paste - a constipation helper that you can use on bread, crackers, etc.

EASY FRUIT PASTE I
(from Louisa on the ACOR colon cancer listserv, whose sister Elaine got this recipe from the ACOR kidney cancer listserv)

Use whatever size container your store offers of these three fruits:
9 ounces to one pound of dried pitted prunes
9 ounces to one pound of dried figs (remove any stems)
large box of raisins, about one pound
4 ounces senna leaves or senna tea (check your health food store)
one cup lemon juice
one cup brown sugar

Bring a quart of water to boiling; remove from heat; add the senna. Let stand five minutes or more, then strain the leaves out. You will have about 2 1/2 cups of dark tea. Add the fruit. Boil for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and brown sugar. Let it cool.

Remove any fig stems or prune pits. Run the mix through a food processor, blender, or food mill to create a paste. Spoon into small containers. Refrigerate one and freeze the rest. (It won't freeze hard but will keep indefinitely this way.)

Take 1 to 2 tablespoons a day, as needed. It's good plain or on toast, crackers, or bread; on oatmeal; etc.

EASY FRUIT PASTE II
(from Julia on the ACOR colon cancer listserv)
1 pound prunes
1 pound raisins or pitted dates
1 pound figs
4 ounces Senna tea leaves (found at health food stores)
1 cup GF brown sugar
1 cup lemon juice

Boil 4 cups of water, add to the tea leaves and steep for five minutes. Strain the tea and pour two cups of the tea liquid into a large pot, discard the rest. Add the fruit (except lemon) to this pot and boil for five minutes.

Remove from heat; add the sugar and lemon juice and mix. Allow the mixture to cool. Use mixer, blender or food processor to turn the fruit mixture into a smooth paste. Spoon it into jars or freezer containers and store in the freezer.

Note: This fruit paste does not freeze solid, but keeps well indefinitely in the freezer. It can be spread on toast or used as topping - or if all else fails, just take it like medicine. Dose: 1-2 tablespoons per day for adults

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:15 pm

Hannah,

I read your post this morning. Recipes! Should you have a recipe for someone who may be experiencing the opposite of constipation, please do share. Camptosar (or CPT-11) had that affect on me...It was not pretty!

Thank you for sharing!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”