My crotch is on fire!!!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
shel28

My crotch is on fire!!!

Postby shel28 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:50 am

I am being given radiation for rectal cancer. I am half way through at this point and already my crotch is itching, burning, red... and I am miserable. :( Does anyone have any suggestions on how to relieve the pain. The doctors say to sit in lukewarm water and use hemerroid pads but that really doesn't help. It burns all day long and I can't sleep at night. I found some over the counter Vagasil and that really seems to help for a couple of hours and I am only supposed to take it 4 times a day. I feel like I have a sunburn on my crotch.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:48 am

I to had radiation for rectal cancer, at about half way through treatment, my doc started asking me about pain. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving Holiday he just handed mr a scipt for Percocet, and said just in case, i don't want you hurting trough the holidays.
In other words, dont go through too much misery, ask your doc for some pain killers.

Better living through modern Chemistry,

Dave

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:46 pm

The doctor or nurses at the radiation clinic should be able to provide you with some cremes to help with the burning. To be honest, nothing will give complete relief but there were a few things that helped me when I went through it. I had to use pain killers. I was on pretty high levels of Oxycontin during the peak of my burns (I went eight weeks - ouch!!).

I recommend wearing silk boxers and very loose pants. It was the only thing I could stand next to my skin. This is a very tough time, but it will pass. Don't be afraid to use pain killers to help you through this. You don't get any medals for being a hero. Best to do whatever you can to be comfortable.

Good luck!

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:41 pm

May I just say that I LOVE this Board! It's one of the only places where it's perfectly okay to title your post,"My Crotch is on Fire!"

:lol:

Luv2Run

Postby Luv2Run » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Ouch!!! I feel your pain. I also was dx with rectal cancer in August 2005. I had my 25 sessions of radiation in Nov-Dec 2005. I was okay until the last couple of weeks and several weeks afterwards then the burning, weeping skin began. My radiology onocologist just recommended sitz baths. After a couple months in pain I finally consulted my dermatologist.

There are two new products out there available by prescription and both are recommended for radiated skin. They are MimyX Cream and Atopiclair Cream. Both are nonsteroidal and provide deep dermal hydration, are hypoallergenic and anti-irritant. They are my LIFESAVER - my crotch is finally feeling great!! Ask for a prescription and start using it SOON! I wish I knew about it when I was undergoing treatment!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Holy crap! Not only does this sound painful but like bloody hell. I hope and pray that you find some relief sooner than later.

Yikes,

Holly

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:19 pm

yep. i was a firecrotch during radiation too.
hopefully you're near the end, that's usually when it starts getting unbearable.
the vagisil i got BUUURRRRNNNED like hell when i put it on, so i avoided it, but try replens, i thought it was better.
and make sure to wear really loose light clothing (which i know isn't usually an option in the winter)

and you're right. you ARE sunburned. basically you're exposing skin in an area that normally doesn't see the light of day. at super high doses.

at it's worse my skin was SUPER dark, and peeling like crazy. it looked pretty gross.
the sitz baths help ALOT. though i know it's not always convenient to jump in the tub.

if i have any better suggestions, i'll let you know. but bear down, it'll be over soon, and you can bounce back pretty quickly from it
(well, cept for the damned vaginal dryness and vaginal narrowing. those are the crappiest side effects to have. damned radiation. grrrr)

johnnys84

Postby johnnys84 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:39 pm

My fiance is a physician assistant in dermatology and recommended getting a script for mimyx cream, it will help to soothe the burns.
JJS

Diagnosed June 30, 2006 Stage II colorectal cancer (familial polyposis) 30 years old
October 27, 2006 Total Colectomy and K-pouch
March 9, 2007 K-pouch revision

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”