Need stories of stage IV survivors

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jetlex

Need stories of stage IV survivors

Postby jetlex » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi,

My step-brother, 30, has been dx'd with stage IV cc that's in his liver, lungs, and bones. He just started chemo (oxaliplaten and 5FU). The doctor will add Avastin in his third round.

The oncologist and surgeon said surgery won't help because it's spread so much. My family and I have been looking into more aggressive treatments such as liver resection. Today, we received an e-mail from his second opinion dr stating the following:

"i think the very aggressive therapy you mentioned is highly experimental and not done at academic centers. i do not think it would benefit you. even if it sounds reasonable, your cancer is at so many places (including lung and bone), it cannot really be cut out. i fear that the surgery would be very, very aggressive and make you sicker than you are now."

My family and I are very disheartened as it seems all we can do is wait to see if the chemo will stop the growth, which I pray it will.

Are there any stories of survivors who have/had very advanced stage IV cc (mets to all over liver, lungs, and bones) that they can share? It would really help now. I am on a roller coaster ride of emotions. Somedays I am hopeful. Other days I feel very bleak. My step-mom is feeling the same way. She's trying very hard to hold it together.

Thanks,
~jetlex

bossan

Postby bossan » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:10 pm

I had similar opinions from doctors. First you would have to stop chemo for a period of time which would allow the cancer to continue to grow. Then, the surgeries are very risky and likely to diminish the quality of life that you may get from chemo. One of my docs put it this way. Yes it is possible to find surgeons who will take your money and try cutting everything up, but it doesn't mean it will work.

I know there are people here who have had these major surgeries and survived it, and while it is encouraging, I would venture to say they are in the minority.

Give the chemo a chance to work, it comes with lots of problems, but it does work.

Finally, beware of all the rip-offs with miricale cures and false promises. sadly they're all over the place.
How Beautiful Can A Being Be?
My Personal Forum: http://z8.invisionfree.com/colorectalk
My Story (scroll to the bottom of page 1) http://www.colonclub.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

naomi

check out

Postby naomi » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:45 pm

i think out you should check out my post there are alot of inspirational responses. my post is titled"stage iv colon cancer". good luck my family and i are experiencing vey similar feelings!!!

missjv

Postby missjv » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:25 am

hi,
well i guess it depends on the individual and how far cancer has spread to have surgery done. i know when i went for consult for my liver surgery doc told me when they open me up if they see any seeding or any other visible cancer they will not do liver resection because whats the point?? i consider myself very lucky to have had only 3 very tiny spots on liver and no lymph involvment and was able to have had surgery and i know there are no garuntees it won't come back but for now im cancer free. give the chemo a chance to work avastin has now been called a miracle drug for what it does to tumors my moms friends son had an inoperable brain tumor at one time, went on avastin it shrunk it so much the surgeons were able to get in there and now he is doing great so anything can happen. try to stay positive around your brother because the better attitude he has the easier it will be, and there are people who survive this disease especially now with all the new drugs a few years ago there was only 5fu that was your only chemo for colon cancer but now there are alot more and with the combo of these drugs together people are going into remission without surgery to remove mets and living longer. do not pay attention to statistics on stage 4 they were done before these new drugs came to be and new studies have not been released yet so don't even look up statistics. the american cancer society is a great website to get info, support, etc and they sell a great book on colon cancer filled with info so check it out and good luck!

missjv

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Please try to stay positive. Miracles can and do happen. Chemo is likely the best course of action right now, as surgery would not be able to get all of the cancer. Many people have had great responses to chemo. He is young and strong. Perhaps with a great response to chemo he might be a surgical candidate later on.

Best of luck to you all.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”