Ouch!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dave

Ouch!

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:00 am

I had a (LAR) preformed just over two weeks ago. They removed 6inches of colon right at the rectum, maybe some of the rectum to. I didn’t get an ostomy. The problem is that I can’t even think of sitting down, without eating a couple of vicodin, all I can do is walk around or lay down. Can someone give me a rough idea, about how long this pain is going to require medication to control? Is this much pain normal?
Hurtin for certain,
Dave

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:38 am

Alright Dave, i remember it well.

I would say maybe after a month, things will ease, and you should be a bit more comfortable. But they say 3 months for the body to heal which is about right.

hang in there mate, things will improve.

Nick

LA8

Postby LA8 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:17 am

Hi, Dave - Nick is absolutely right - and by two months you'll have forgotten about the problem. Your symptoms may be a pain in the butt (pun intended) but they're perfectly normal. Hang in there!!

eitter

Postby eitter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:26 am

Dave,

I had a rectal recsection and "feel" your pain! I was given a temp Ileostomy though.

I live on percocet's even today, my surgery was in October. I had radiatin prior to, did you? I was given the news by my colorectal suregon that I may have cronic pain in the rectal area for the rest of my life because of the radiation, I am praying for that not to be true. At first the pain was awful and yes to be comfortable today I have to take pain meds, but it is not unbearable.

Here is something that helps a lot and even helps cut down on pain meds. A Heating pad, it is my best friend. When you want to sit and watch TV or even lie in bed, but a heating pad under your tush and you will feel no pain. Try it! Let me know what you think, I bet it helps. I also but a pillow on all the chairs I sit on, I tried a doughnut, but that did not work as well.

Keep me posted!

God Bless,
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

eitter

Postby eitter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:29 am

Hey Dave, me again!

I just went to your website....I think my idea of the heating pad will work wonders for you and if so you owe me a windsurfing lesson. LOL
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks, Me Mates from across the pond,
That’s a welcome response; I just needed to know this pain is normal (and I’m a big sissy). It will be a lot easier to deal with that way. I’ve tried to get the good wife to kiss it, to make it feel better, but with little luck.
That was wonderful, ask a question at 4am, eat a Vicodan, go lay down for a few hours, wake up with an answer, (got to love the different time zones) you guys are great.

There is light at the end of the tunnel,
Dave

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks Eitter,
I’ll cross off the donut, and add the heating pad to my list of must haves.
Now I usually take showers, I don’t have time for baths, however I must admit, yesterday while it was quite around here, I slid into my wife’s big old bathtub…. Oh baby! I’m talking about a painless state of euphoria that will give you Goosebumps. Then 20 minutes later, ding-dong, all hell broke loose, Oh well it was sweet while it lasted. I’m going to make it back into that tub today!
Yes I did have Chemo-radiation prior to surgery, and my radiation oncologist also prescribed percocet to me. I only took a couple of them, I was busy, they made me dizzy, I had things to do, (Like make preparations for the time that I’m taking off now) I guess I’ll break them out when I need back up
You my certainly have that windsurfing lesson, just let me know when your coming to town.
Hoping chronic pain are not permanent words in our vocabularies,

Dave

lucky1

Postby lucky1 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:55 pm

I am 5 weeks postpartum LAR. The heating pad works wonders. I just started using it a few days ago. Ibuprofen helps my discomfort. I am wondering how I can go back to work next week when I feel this uncomfortable. I can't use a heating pad there. Thanks for the advice!
lucky1

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”