Chemo Pump

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
CRguy

Re: Chemo Pump

Postby CRguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:17 pm

seussfan wrote:
KellyBelle wrote:
seussfan wrote:And not too be too personal - but it makes sex rather humorous!

You're my hero! I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror with that thing on, let alone have sex!

Hey - life has to go on! :wink:

And as we all know....life..... IS a sexually transmitted disease !!!!!

(Howya doin' Trish ??)

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

4mydad

Postby 4mydad » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 am

My dad has 4x8 the purse type one that goes over his shoulder. One thing that was shocking is that our dog is very sensitive to it. He is always very aware of when it's connected to my dad and does not like the pump. However he and different dogs that my dad has come in contact with while wearing it all seem to get protective of him like they know something is up. Having it in the winter is nice because he just puts it over his shoulder then puts on his coat and you can't see it. He's pretty good about sleeping with it a less he is on the couch in which case he will set it on the back of the couch. He has be known to stand up and forget it's connected at which point it pulls on his port which can be very painful for him. So just try to leave it where you will see it when you wake up.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Has anyone have the pump that looks like a Hardball and the drugs just go away til there is just the cylinder in the middle?
WE thought that the pump was finished about 7hrs early. The Vistiting nurse even thought that it was done to soon
Anyone have this happen? Just curious as to what experience anyone has had with this pump :?

Juliepie

Postby Juliepie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:53 pm

My pump didn't look like a hardball but sounds like it may function in a similar way to the one you're describing. Mine was the Baxter infusion pump - the one people have referred to as the 'baby bottle' as that's what it looks like. it has a latex like bag inside holding the 5-fu, its controlled by a heat sensitive sensor that is usually taped to the chest/breast bone area. The body's heat ensures it functions so no batteries, electrical functions, noises, etc... When its done (typically 48 hours) all that's left is a cylinder like tube in the middle of the bottle. Mine always seemed to end earlier than the 48 hours, more like 44-45 hours, never 7 hours early though. Not sure if you have the same kind of pump or not though...
Dx Colon Cancer 12/04/08 Surgery (right hemi) 11/28/08 at the age of 29
Stage III T3N1M0
1 out of 35 lymph nodes positive
31 years old now
Started FOLFOX Jan 20/09, finished July 3 2009 (yay!!)
NED!!

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 pm

mine ended way early the single time I had it (from MSKCC). I need to be infused slowly and at a more controlled rate, so locally my doc always used the mechanical pumps on me. Slow infusions are one of the cheapest ways to minimize side effects, so I'll put up with the mechanical pumps to avoid the heavy side effects.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 pm

4mydad, the dogs are probably hearing the pump. It's a peristaltic pump in there that turns once every 30 or so seconds. If you hold it, you can probably feel the vibration of it and it does barely make noise. My guess is it might be making noise that your dogs can hear but we humans can't.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Kathryn in MN
Facebook Username: Kathryn Finn-Blume

Postby Kathryn in MN » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:12 am

Guest wrote:Has anyone have the pump that looks like a Hardball and the drugs just go away til there is just the cylinder in the middle?
WE thought that the pump was finished about 7hrs early. The Vistiting nurse even thought that it was done to soon
Anyone have this happen? Just curious as to what experience anyone has had with this pump :?

My last cycle mine was done 3 or more hours early. It is supposed to take 46 hours. I don't know how early it was done - I only know it seemed really light, so I took it out of the cover to check it, and it was empty.

I was running a fever when I went in to the onc's office a few days later. They say if your body temp rises, often the drug infuses faster. That can also happen from positioning (you want to keep it below the heart), or heavy exercising.
CRC AUG09 Age 47
Sig Res T4a N2a Mx, KRAS mut codon13
Mets bones & nodes
FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Avastin, Radiation
Irinotecan, Zaltrap & STAR RFA
APR13 pleurisy & ascites - more chemo & draining
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kathrynblume

newguy

Postby newguy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:30 am

Newguy wondering about suggestions from OG"s (seasoned PRO"s) about best sleeping setup or rig up ? ? ? . Would appreciate any input as not alot if any thing was included at orientation. Signed confused NEWGUY.

RayGirl

Postby RayGirl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

newguy wrote:Newguy wondering about suggestions from OG"s (seasoned PRO"s) about best sleeping setup or rig up ? ? ? . Would appreciate any input as not alot if any thing was included at orientation. Signed confused NEWGUY.

Some people hang it on the bed post. I couldn't stand the noise. I actually slept on my extra comfy couch, set the pump on the floor and put a pillow over it to muffle the sound. I thought about doing it in the bed, but it too high, scare it would fall off the edge if I placed it on the outside. If I placed it in the middle my husband with restless arms/legs would have tangled up with the tubing. In hindsight, I should have just kicked the hubby to the couch and kept the bed to myself...
Stage III Rectal: T3, 3/21 Nodes
dxn:Feb-10
Radiation&Xeloda
7.5 hr surgery
12th FOLFOX Nov-10
Takedown:Jan-11

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

jean60

Postby jean60 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 pm

KarMel wrote:
KellyBelle wrote:
I work in a medical office and thought one of the nurses there could have removed the pump after it started beeping, but that idea was slapped down. Something about only specially trained chemo therapy nurses were allowed to do it. Hogwash, I thought, but I obeyed and went to the clinic.

I wore one continuously for 5 weeks and wear it now bi-weekly from Tuesday mornings to whenever it runs out on Thursday morning. The nurses where I go taught both my husband and my daughter who lives nearby to remove the needle. I loved that because then I dont have to go back until the next infusion.
I have a bedside table with a drawer and when I go to bed, I open the drawer and put the pack in it with all the tubing out so I have room to move. The open drawer is also a good reminder when and if I get up in the night that I am attached to something. When I wore it for 5 weeks I got used to it but now it is a challenge to remember.

Jean
Dx Rectal Cncr 5/12
Stage III
5 weeks Chemo (5FU) & Radiation completed
LAR with temporary ileostomy 9/12, complete response
Began FOLFOX 10/12. oxil reduced after tx 1, eliminated after tx 2. Now 5FU.
Finished 1/13
Ileostomy reversal 5/13

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”