Phantom sensations/illeostomy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MissKim

Phantom sensations/illeostomy

Postby MissKim » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi! When I had my illeostomy surgery in 6/2003 the doctors and nurses did not tell me about "phantom sensations" after the procedure. :shock: For those of you not familiar with this, the rectum will still signal an "urge" to go and sometimes mucus will come out the anus even though the waste exits through the stoma. I had a lot of mucus excretions and phantom sensations those 3-4 months after surgery and then they subsided. I went for 2 -3 years without the phantom sensations. However, now they are back. I am puzzled. Almost daily I have the phantom sensation and feel like I need to get to the restroom quick. :oops: Very rarely does any mucus come out. Can any of you share your experiences on this topic? I thought that I was done with the frequent phantom sensations since my illeostomy was done so long ago. Help, I am confused? Thank-you, in advance for sharing.

Miss Kim

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:03 pm

I don't have an ostomy, but I have heard of this. You're not crazy.

eitter

Postby eitter » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:18 pm

I have an ilesostomy, although I got mine in May 2006, so I have not had it as long.

But I do get what you are talking about, in fact just this week my rectum has been active, bubbles coming out, some mucus. I have had no sensations for over a month. So mine comes and goes, it is strange, but from what I here normal.

God Bless,
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Hey Kim,

I`ve had my ileostomy for about three years now and I too get phantom sensations that I have to go. I have read that this is normal. About once a month I`ll get some pressure back there and will need to sit on the toilet and push a little to see what happens. Sometimes a little mucus may come out sometimes not. But usually the feeling goes away after I sit on it for a while.
I have been having issues with dehydration this winter because I just don`t get around to drinking as much as I should. How are you doing with that?

Bob

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”