erbitux and campostar(irenotecan)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Fishy

erbitux and campostar(irenotecan)

Postby Fishy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:31 pm

has anyone had this drug combo, and if so, how were the side effects? :roll:
Jenny Fish

splash

Postby splash » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:31 pm

Hello
I am currently on this same combo.
I have the erbitux every week with no problems at all. I have the Comptosar every 3 weeks with a few different results.
I have lost my hair, but not my eye lashes or brows. I usually get nauseous before the treatment is finished. I have to watch my diet for a few days and make sure to stay hydrated ( helps with the nausea) but that usually getts better after 3 to 5 days. I am a little tired for those days as well.
I am having good results with this combo. I am sure my results and side effects are not the same as others may be but I wanted to share with you .

splash

Postby splash » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:42 pm

So Sorry,
I just had the Comptosar on Tuesday, so my symptoms from that are a bit more prominent today and I almost forgot about the lovely rash that accompanies Erbitux. It is just like teenage acne for me. I never had that as a teen, so I was not quite sure what to do with it. Luckily I have a wonderful friend who works at the Clinique counter at my local department store. She has worked very diligently with me to help me keep this in check. If this becomes a problem for you, let me know and I will gladly share.

Traybug

Erbitux

Postby Traybug » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:01 pm

My brother is not on compostar however, he is on erbitux and has a terrible rash. Have any of your attempts with dealing with the rash been successful? My brother is really depressed over it and won't leave the house other than to go to chemo every week. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracey

Fishy

Postby Fishy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:06 pm

is it a rash or is it actual pimples. does it itch?? is it just on your face or all over?does it last pretty much all the time, or does it flare up and then go down?
Jenny Fish

Traybug

Postby Traybug » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:49 pm

What my brother has is like little white heads all over his entire body. It is absolutely everywhere. His doesn't itch, but it prevents him from shaving because just washing his face makes it bleed. Then, to add insult to injury, it is hard to stop the bleeding because his blood is so thin from the chemo. I think the most difficult thing for him is the fact that he braced himself the best he could to take the physical effects from the chemo. He was not mentally prepared to have to stare himself in the face everyday and see this. It's hard...he doesn't want to see anyone and I can't say I blame him. His oncologist said that if you get the rash, it is often a sign that the drug is doing what it is supposed to be doing. I pray that he is right!

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:07 pm

Tracey,

I have not taken erbitux but have heard the same thing about the rash. As hard as this part of your brother's journey maybe, remember it only gets BETTER. You all must have faith and remember that ALL things are possible! Please know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers!

Camptosar and Erbitux

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:18 pm

I am on Camptosar every 3 weeks and find that I'm extremely tired for about 3-4 days afterward. I have the diarrhea along with it. Since being on Camptosar, my skin has severely dried out and I can't find a lotion that will control it.

I'm also on the Erbitux and it leaves the rash on the face and chest. Face is also drying out and nothing seems to help it.

Has anyone experienced this as well? Any suggestions on what to use to hydrate the skin?

kevinlv

Rase Treatment

Postby kevinlv » Wed May 03, 2006 2:48 pm

My story is long so I will spare the details. My colon ca was missed during colonoscomy. Jan 2005, so here I am with metastatic stage IV colon CA. I am a practicing Pharmacist and am 44 yr old. Currently I own my own pharmacy, but have in the past been a Pharmacy Director at a large metro hospital and have a wealth of clinical experience. I had surgery in Feb 2006 and am now on chemo. FOLFOX-6 with Avastin and an experimental EGFR inhibitor Panitumumab. Panitumumab is like Erbutux except it is made by recombinate DNA technology instead of mouse protien.

Let me cut to the chaseI got the rash and it was lit the worst acne I ever had. Painful 24/7. I could only sleep 1 hour at a time. I though I would have to go off the drug. They call it an acneform reaction. Anyway I tried all sorts or lotions and creams.With little relief. I was eating percocet like tic tacs and could not sleep. I discussed this with my Dr' nurses and and were less than helpful. So I took maters into my own hands. I did a medline search and found an article out of Belgum, on how to treat this. You treat it like acne. (clinical signs, pathophysiology and management of skin toxicity during therapy with epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors.) My Dr. agreeed.

It responds very well to tetracyclines. I first used minocycline 75mg twice daily , my Dr. wants 100mg Doxycycline twice daily.

On my chest and back I used benzyl peroxide wash daily.Nothing on my face except cetaphil. Maybe benzyl peroxide wash diluted later.

On my scalp I use selenium (selsum) every other day. Do not use head and shoulders it makes it worse!!

On my face, chest and back I use cetaphil lotion. Or you could use any non-comedone forming (lubriderm etc. generics ok too) Don't use any thing that contains fragrance, parabens, dyes, or lanolin. Once the rash dries a little I started to use a little Sarna (contains menthol and camphor) mixed in with the cetaphil. I would try it on a small area first, it might sting but belief me it is very refreshing. (don't use it straight)

Also I take and alveeno bath every other day. And use alveeno wash in the shower. My scalp it impoving and drying a bit. I may use some coal tar next week. (t-gel).

Also stay out of the sun!! It makes it much worse.

Also avoid steroids they make it worse. Esp. fllouaranated steroids. The steroids you get with chemo(dexadron etc) are ok. And probably hydrocortisone cream or lotion would be ok. I have not used any.

Avoid head and shoulders shampoo it makes it worse!!

Anyway my rash it still visable andy ugly. mainly red but does not look so much like acne But it doesn't hurt and itches very little. Overall very tolerable. I do take atarax tablets sometimes for the itch. Overall I can tolorate the rash and can continue my treatment.

Let me know if this helps I may write my own article.

The article is in:
Anals of Oncology 16:1425-1433, 2005
doi:10.1093/annonc/mdi279
published online 12 July 2005.

If you can't find it send me an e-mail and I can forward you the article in a PDF file. kevinlv@yahoo.com

I hope this can help anyone.

About me I am a Pharmacist with over 20 yr experience and own my own pharmacy. Also a Stage IV fighter.
kevinlv
Keep Strong, Keep Hope

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”