Finally registered ~ Hello!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Molly23MN

Finally registered ~ Hello!

Postby Molly23MN » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi everyone - I've been a visitor on this awesome site since late Oct. when my husband was diagnosed with stage IIIc colon cancer at age 39. I surf this site every night as I put our now 3-month-old son to sleep. All of you help educate and encourage me. My husband's diagnosis was surprising. He had a few symptoms in the spring of 09 (more stools than normal, some blood/mucus). Thankfully he saw the doctor in early June. Unfortunately, the doctor initially dismissed it due to his age and said "Oh, you need more fiber in your diet." Eight weeks later nothing had changed so my husband went back in. The dr. finally recommended a colonoscopy -- no rush to schedule it though.

We were shocked in mid-Oct (2 weeks and 6 days after the birth of our son) that Steve has cancer. They saw it during the colonoscopy. Surgery took place in early Nov. and now he's on his third round of Folfox 6, which (thank God, knock of wood, etc., etc.) has treated him pretty well so far. Hopefully by May Steve's treatment will be done and he'll be through with cancer forever.

Thank you for this site, Molly and everyone. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and optimistic!!!
wife of steve, dx stage IIIc CC 10/20/09 @ age 39
2 kids - now 9.5 and 12. 9 yo was 20 days old at diagnosis
Thankful.
11/09 colon resection
5/26/10 Folfox 6 complete
7/2010 Port removed
Clear CT scans since 6/10

jenhopesprays

Re: Finally registered ~ Hello!

Postby jenhopesprays » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Molly,

Welcome to the board. I glad his first treatments went well. I was also dx'd at 39.

So glad you guys went back to the doc. Let us know how we can help.

((hugs))

Jennifer
Stage IV: dx 8/07 at 39.. colon & liver resection & rt ovary
17 rounds of folfox.
12/08 ovary tumor removed with HIPEC & folfiri w/Avastin
9/11 liver resection # 2 followed by chemo
NED

Have Hope with Capitol H

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Hey Molly, welcome to the club everybody loves but no one wants to become a member of :). I'm also glad to hear you went back to the doc. Here's hoping that treatments will continue to be mild and your husband will do well.
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

tmn

Postby tmn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello and welcome. This is a great place for support and information.
Dx Stage IIIC CRC @33 on 20 May 2008
Colon Rescection, 12 Rounds FOLFOX 4
NED

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Welcome Molly, I hope your husband continues to do well through his treatments. Hang in there!

God Bless!
Terry
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:28 pm

HI Molly, Welcome but wish you had no need to be here.

Sounds like you and hubby will do well.
God bless!
Diane
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

jmarie
Facebook Username: Jessica Ramos Smith

Postby jmarie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi Molly, Sorry to meet you here. I also have an infant mixed up in this mess. I was pregnant when dx'd. As horrible as the timing might be, I have found that my little girl is my best medicine. Those first smiles when Chemo is hitting you hard are priceless. I think there is no better driving force to beat this than a parent who wants to see their babies grow up. I have survived to see my Lilliana's 1st birthday next week, with many more to come :wink:
DX Stage IV 11/25/08
mets liver lung, kras mutant
Baby 2yrs old! I am 32yrs
Too many chemo txs to count
trying to find a clinical trial
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

meighan

Postby meighan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Welcome and hope you took some time off from all this and enjoyed the holidays. Our youngest daughter was 2 months old when all this started and my husband was diagnosed, she turned 4 in September. He tolerated treatment very well and since then we have gone to Disney and celebrated all of our holidays and birthdays with greater joy then I ever thought possible. NO ONE is guaranteed anything in this life but we are all doing well and would be glad to answer any of your questions as we remember our journey well. I wasted soooo much time in the beginning worrying but it is hard not to and test/scan time still come with anxiety......but we do make our trips to NYC/sloan include some fun now like theater and central park zoo with the kids, far cry from where we started. I join the ranks of those who do not want to jinx ourselves in anyway and one day at a time is still our motto though we plan ahead easier then before :) Ask away with your questions this was a lifeline for me during those early months and when you are able enjoy that little one and escape into their world. Thinking of you and your family and please reach out if we can help.

Molly23MN

Postby Molly23MN » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. This is a scary experience but your support helps so much.

Special thoughts and prayers to those of you with small children. I completely agree that children are often the best medicine. I know our daughter and son help get us through each day. I hope that none of our families still have active cancer when our kids are old enough to understand.
wife of steve, dx stage IIIc CC 10/20/09 @ age 39
2 kids - now 9.5 and 12. 9 yo was 20 days old at diagnosis
Thankful.
11/09 colon resection
5/26/10 Folfox 6 complete
7/2010 Port removed
Clear CT scans since 6/10

eitter

Postby eitter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Welcome Molly, sorry you had to join the Club, BUT it is a great group of people that can help in many ways!

I also was DX at 39 with Stage III, mine was RectalCA. If I can be of any help please ask!
Blessings,
Liz DENNIS
Tempe,AZ
DX 05/06 Rectal
6 Weeks radiation with 5FU
LAR 10/06 Stage III
Temp Ileo, reversal failed in 05/07 after 1m in hospital came out with a permanent colostomy
http://www.runlizrun.com

Heid

Postby Heid » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello everyone:) I was diagnosed Oct 23rd 2009, a date I will never forget. It is so refreshing to find a site that deals with
just colon/rectal cancer! I have been having no luck finding a support group in my area and dealing with things on my own. I am staying as positive as I can, it has been very scary! I have had colon re-section surgery along with a total hysterectomy (due to signs of affected cells...) I started my third round of chemo today - FOLFOX. I begin radiation in February.
Thank you for this site and I wish all of you health and happiness this New Year!! :D

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”