Avastin by itself

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Avastin by itself

Postby klryder02 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Hello All-

I saw my oncol. today, and he was telling me avastin by itself doesn't do anything. It doesn't work until it is paired up with chemo.

Is this what you have been told? I thought I remember people telling me they take avastin by itself after they have finished chemo.

Thanks!
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Christine

Postby Christine » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm on Avastin alone. My oncologist told me that there has not been significant research on Avastin by itself, but the little research that has been done does make it seem like it might be ineffective alone.

I was supposed to do Xeloda and Avastin, but my platelet counts are too low (they haven't been above 100 since last September). If I had visible disease, they would do a platelet transfusion and administer chemo, but I'm NED so we're taking the time to let my body fix the situation.

From September to December, I had Avastin by itself every three weeks. In December, we tried Avastin with Erbitux, but I had a HORRIBLE reaction to the Erbitux. My oncologist told me that it was the worst rash he'd ever seen.

I had a scan at the end of December and I am still NED.

Since I can't seem to tolerate anything else, my oncologist and I decided to do two months of Avastin every two weeks and then stop treatments. He really wants me to finish a course of something before we stop treatments.

That's a long explanation to a simple question, but I guess to sum it up... I made the final decision to do Avastin as a single agent. I would have made a different decision if there was any evidence of remaining disease on my last scan, but since it was clean, I'm willing to take the risk for now.

pjmanes

Avastin alone

Postby pjmanes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:51 pm

I think the way my oncologist explained it to me is that Avastin shuts off/dries up the tumor supply so that it can't grow. So I don't know why it would not work by itself. Howeve I am on 5FU, Irinotecan and Lucoveran in addition. Phyllis
Thanks, Phyl

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:35 pm

just from what i've read the reserach indicates that avastin with the chemo (5FU...oxaplatin) meds is more affective. but i know if i wasn't up for possible surgery my onco. would still keep me on avastin. just so it keeps stopping the blood vessel supply to the tumor.

I had avasitn with the other chemo drugs and just finished my 12 cycles and after four rounds it shrunk 30% and by the 7th to 50% shrinkage from baseball size. and it has maintained that size.

you're lucky with avastin only! beats barfing and having neurapathy from the other chemo stuff...except i do have a constant bloody nose from avastin. it's not like gushing just when you whip or blow your nose. i'm not a doc or expert or anything avastin is a good thing though!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

bud

Postby bud » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:40 pm

I've been on (and off)Avastin/Erbitux, then Avistan/Panitumumab for the
past six months. "dries up" is an apt description for these drugs; I get the bloody noses, extremely dry & easily bruised skin, and rash on chest, back face, etc. Presently on a vacation from both Avasti/P-Mab, and will restage in 2 months. I'm stage 4 crc-bilateral mets to lungs. Tumors have shrunk.
bud

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:44 am

hi,
i never had avastin alone only with chemo. they are now trying avastin alone on stage 4 people who have had surgery's and are now ned in case of micro stuff trying to grow. i finish 6 months of chemo in may and then will try the avastin alone if insurance permits. that is one big problem with avastin alot of insurance won't pay for it if you are not showing tumors some will pay some won't insurance companies are funny we pay out the booty for coverage then have to fight to get meds paid for.

missjv

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”