Colonoscopy: is the prep different after surgery?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
momof2crazyboyz

Colonoscopy: is the prep different after surgery?

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:48 pm

I was dx with Stage II CC and had an extended R hemicoloectomy in July 2006. Just finished my chemo last week (FOLFOX) and I am scheduled for a Cat in 4 weeks. My next scope will be in July -- Does anyone know if the prep will be the same -- I had a lot of colon removed -- it should not be the same.. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Cathy
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!
Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Cathy,

I have never heard of it being any different. Mine was the same and so have others that have had more of their colon removed than me. Not a fun thought and not what you wanted to hear, I am sorry. You made it through Chemo girl, you can make it through the Colonoscopy again too!!!

Peg

Bryan S

Postby Bryan S » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:47 pm

After 2 follow up colonoscopies the prep is the same. Of course there are several versions and one of those may be preffered by your dr. But generally the idea is to clean the entire colon so they get a good view. I would not skimp on this.

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:24 pm

Congratulations on finishing your treatment. I am stage 3CC dx. at 37yrs. and finished Chemo in April of 2006. I am an RN in a Colonoscopy lab, and the prep is no different. It just takes a shorter time to clean out the colon with the prep. A great prep that is not too bad is the Fleet, Phospa Soda which is 2oz. bottle. I had about 18 inches of colon removed and when I went for my 1 year colonoscopy I only had to use one bottle of the Phospha Soda instead of the 2 bottles like everyone else. It is a quick drink and is very effective. I think you will probably find your next colonoscopy easier than the first. Somehow you never get used to it, but you know it becomes a part of your life. Good luck.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:25 pm

I have a colonoscopy coming up at the one-year mark in August. As long as I don't have to do golytely, I'll be really happy. If I do, Iwill be pretty unhappy, not to mention pretty sick. But, whatever it takes to stay healthy, right gang? :shock:
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:34 pm

Hey Jon,
Ask you doctor about the Fleet Phospha Soda. It is equal to a shot glass of concentrated liquid, followed by 4 oz. of water. It is so easy and very effective. No nausea, etc. For those of us with less of a colon it is great. Good luck, and Congratulations on NED. ME TOO.

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:37 am

Hi.
Yeah, no difference with the prep, but it does most certainly go a lot faster. For instance, pre-surgery I had to drink 90% of the golytely, now
I do not even 50%. It's actually quite nice! Hey, we have to find the silver lining right?? Less colon, less prep to drink and less prep time!
Maggie

momof2crazyboyz

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks for all of your great advice -- I was hoping the prep would be less -- I drank fleet soda the last time -- it was not that bad..

I get my check up cat scan on March 19...Say prays for me...Thanks again....for your input ...;0)
STOP COLON CANCER -- MOON A DOCTOR!

Stage II CC NED 3/07 (HNPCC - Lynch Syndrome)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”