Female cycles during Folfox

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Female cycles during Folfox

Postby klryder02 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Hello Girls-

What was/is your period like while taking Folfox.

I am pretty sure this is normal, but I went a while without anything, now I have had some bleeding twice in two weeks.

Also, it is nothing like periods pre-chemo.

What was your experience??

Thanks,
Kelly
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

nodo

Postby nodo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Mine went away part way through the treatment and didn't start back up until after I finished chemo. Sorry to say that it did return to what it was like before chemo. Oh well!

tennislover

Postby tennislover » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Hey there, mine went away when I started treatment and I am still having treatments, but anyway, it has been a year...no periods!!! I have hot flashes like crazy, the doctors say I may never get my period back...oh well!! Sorry I couldnt be more help!

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:33 pm

My period changed during chemo, lasting as long as two weeks sometimes. Additionally, it was quite heavy. That said, three months later it has almost returned to normal.

Monique

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:33 pm

My period changed during chemo, lasting as long as two weeks sometimes. Additionally, it was quite heavy. That said, three months later it has almost returned to normal.

Monique

Christine

Postby Christine » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 pm

I started Folfox w/Avastin in December 2005 and had my period a week later, but then it stopped. I stopped Folfox and Avastin at the end of May 2006. In September 2006, I had my period again and it was extremely heavy, but I have not had it since. I had one round of Xeloda and Avastin in September, continued Avastin alone until December, had one round of Avastin and Erbitux, restarted Avastin alone a week and a half ago. I had my hormone levels tested a year ago and they were borderline menopausal. My oncologist said we won't know for sure until I have been off treatment for at least six months. My old PCP wanted me to see an endocrinologist, but that was right before my liver resection so I didn't have a chance and then the referral expired.

RobinS

Postby RobinS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 pm

I started FolFox6 in mid December and the next week I had a very light period, but nothing since. I won't be done with treatments till May 2007 so I'm not missing them.

momof2crazyboyz

periods

Postby momof2crazyboyz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:43 pm

I had Folfox for 6 months. finished my last chemo last tuesday == have normal periods every month -- some months were a little heavier than others -- but still have them regularly....

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:52 am

in the 2 years of treament I have only had three. im off now so will be interesting to see if they come back
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 am

when i had my first six rounds of chemo, they were giving me lupron, so i knew i wasn't gonna have periods.
when i got off (in june) i started having periods again in bout a month or so, but they were wierd. sometimes ridiculously heavy, and i'd get it again a week later. etc.
then september i had surgery (actually was on the tail end of my period when i went in that morning for surgery. they gave me some disposable mesh panties and a big ol fat hospital maxi pad before they knocked me out. but i thought that was funny considering the area covered by the disposable panties was exactly where they were operating in.
anywho, i had another period late october, but it was sporadic and skimpy.

but then i started chemo in november and haven't had a period since. i just got off it two weeks ago
so we'll see...

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:13 pm

When i first started chemo my period came early. i told my onco. when he asked how my periods were going "Well I can't count on my ovaries to be brave!" He got a good chuckle out of that! Ya just gotta know my Doc man... :D

I had a freakin' period every month which i take it is good. They were different though. But still there...I know it came early after my first surgery which could happen since your body kinda freaks out. My ovaries are just a bunch of chickens!!! :lol:
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

geminirae

Postby geminirae » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:33 pm

I remember the day of my first chemo treatment I mentioned something about my period. The nurse replied something like "often times chemo can put you in to early menopause". In the grand scheme of things I didn't think too much about asking for clarification about that since I was still so caught up in the emotions of the day and everything that was going on with beginning chemo. During my FOLFOX treatment, I had a regular period every 28 days. The only difference was that I bled more during my period. It has been a 1 1/2 yrs. since my last chemo treatment and I do notice that I now have my period every 23-24 days. I just saw my dr. last week (not the oncologist) for my PAP (etc) and we talked some about chemotherapy induced menopause. She ran some blood work to check my hormone levels just to see if anything was changing.
"Out of difficulties, grow miracles"-Jean De La Bruyere

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Can't help you ladies much here. I was heading into menopause when all this started, and the chemo seems to have tipped the scale. No periods since a couple of months before diagnosis. Menopause + chemo was a PICNIC I tell you what! I seem to be realtively normal again now, thank goodness. I was one cranky little puppy for a few months there. And if anyone touched the thermostat last summer I grew HORNS and FANGS!!!

Anybody noticing any problems with dryness downstairs? It may not be afffecting you younger ladies. You seem to be getting your hormones back. I DON'T want to take estrogen if I don't have to.

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:31 am

yeah experienced the 'dryness downstairs' which i read is normal going throug chemo. it only lasted a couple of days after my treatment. but is wierd when i was taking chemo it didn't bother me. makes sense if the rest of your body is dried out that's gonna get dried out too!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:44 pm

I seem to be permanently dry. My GYN and I are working on remedies short of taking hormones. Apparently the chemo knocks your hormones off balance, and in my case, hurried up the menopause process. I was having an easy time of it until chemo happened. I'm still not having a bad time all things considered, but DURING chemo was hot flash hell. Just about every hour I'd take my little vacation in the tropics. Now it's once or twice a day.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”