How long does it take

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!

How long does it take

Postby guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:08 pm

Does anyone know how long (if untreated) it could take for a stage 1 or 2 to become a stage 3 or 4?

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:46 pm

It all depends on each individual. If I had Stage I or Stage II Colon Cancer, I sure wouldn't wait around to SEE how long it takes!! You need to address it NOW!!

Peg

Postby guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:14 pm

This was just asking out of curiosity. I don't think I have it. I was just wondering if anyone here knew approximately how long it takes between stages.

noonie2

How long does it take!!??

Postby noonie2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:12 pm

When diagnosed at Stage IV, I was adviced that it could have been growing for 10+ years.................BUT..........please..........PLEASE//do not wait. Stage IV for me included, colon surgery, chemo to shrink tumors in liver, liver re-section taking out my whole left lobe and part of my right and during this surgery they found it in my Diaphragm, which was removed and also had to remove 80% of my stomach. I would do anything now to be told I had Stage 1 or 2. It sure would have helped me out with all the things that have happened durng the past 2 years.

Do Not wait! Have you been diagnosed or is this for a friend?

Noonie

bud

Stages

Postby bud » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:20 pm

So far as U know,staging has little to do with time; it is simply a way for the professionals to determine the development of the cancer.
bud

Noonie2

stages

Postby Noonie2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Yes! But if you think you have ANY stage at all, take care of it now! Stage IV is when it has spread to other organs.........you donot want that to happen.

Postby guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:32 pm

this is frustrating.

I'm asking because my grandmother had it and wanted to know because she had symptoms years before she was diagnosed. I didn't know you could have it that long. They thought she was a hypochondriac. She died.

I guess im frustrated because i see people asking questions on this board and then get an immediate lecture to go to the doctor. Most people know when to see the doc and not to brush off symptoms. If people ask a specfic question...please answer that particular question if you have the answer.

Postby guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:34 pm

oops!

that wasn't meant to sound rude! i do appreciate the responses. :)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:38 pm

I guess 5 years before my grandmother was diagnosed, they had a chance to catch this cancer? Or does some grow aggressively as soon as it starts growing. She was sick for years. She was only 56 when she died.

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey, I understand your frustration. You're just looking for a specific answer to a specific question. The problem is that I'm not sure there is a definite answer, but generally I hear that it takes anywhere from five to ten years for a precancerous polyp to become stage IV disease. I would guess that it depends on many factors like genetics, diet, general health, etc. I was diagnosed with stage IV disease at age 35, so it may have started when I was still in my 20s.

Hope this helps.

Rodney

Jeremiah

Depends

Postby Jeremiah » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:32 am

Stage 4 here and my doctors told me they estimate it had been there for roughly 2 years....BUT>>>>>> The best description I heard and simply the best reason to check it out was this...

He said that you can have a tumor the size of a pea and it be stage 4, spread to everything and have you on death's door.......or you can have a tumor the size of a basketball that is no harm at all and not even cancer.

As many have said, and this hold true for every post on this site, get checked out if you are having trouble. Since my diagnosis everyone in my family has been checked....brothers, parents, aunt, even my wife. :D

There are people that care about ya and we want the best for everyone, to make sure you take care of yourself.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:58 am

Im a stage 3a. My surgeon reckons tumour had been there between 6to18 months.

cheers Nick

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:46 am

Diagnosed at age 46, Rectal cancer stage 2A. After Chemo-Radiation Treatments, and Surgery, down staged to 1. I had symptoms for about a year, before I took it serious, and got myself to the doctor. The doctors said I could have had the tumor for 3-5 years.
Soooo, not to harp on an old subject, but if this shit runs in the family, do yourself a favor, and keep an eye on your own ass!
Good luck

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”