Katie Coiuric and the evening news

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tcolitti
Facebook Username: Todd Colitti Sr.

Katie Coiuric and the evening news

Postby tcolitti » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Tonight they talked about getting colonoscopies even before the age of 50. OMG is someone finally listening and thinking?
Never give up HOPE and Always BELIEVE!
DX Age 35 1999
Stage IV CC with mets to liver (4lesions)
Colon & Liver resection (both lobes), removed appendix and gall bladder
5fu/leucovorin
2009 COLONDAR Model

karenM

Re: Katie Coiuric and the evening news

Postby karenM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Sure hope so.
Colon cancer found Nov 08- stage 3
Surgery Dec 16th 08
in hosp 16th to 23,
28th to 1st of Jan for blockage
port put in Jan 12th
Chemo started Jan 09-
ended July 09
Hospital for a wk in April for bleeding.
As of Aug 09 am NED! Thank GOD!

2yng

Postby 2yng » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:04 pm

While you were watching that I was listening to Brian Williams report on Cancer. They featured a 15 year survivor of colorectal cancer and she says that never fails to ask someone if they've had a colonoscopy. It also stated that death rates are down 3.9% for men and 3.4% for women a year.
DX 11-13-07 stage IIb
infused chemo (5-FU) & Rad for 5 wks to shrink tumor
Colon resection and vag. wall repair.
temp ileo
FOLFOX on 3-24-o8 to 9-17-08
ileo reversal 6-10-08
10-16-08:NED!
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kendraportnova

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:33 am

I watched Brian Williams report also. Quite a few of the cancers have had a drop in the death rates due to early detection and people changing their lifestyle habits. I also watched an episode from last weeks Dr. Oz and he talked about how everyone has cancer in them and we can keep from getting it with proper exercise (actually he said most people can keep from getting it, not all) and getting the correct foods. He said broccoli was the most important. He said beans, broccoli and some other food, allison (not sure of the spelling) should be eaten at least three times a week. Of course he said berries, yogurt, flax, onion and garlic were all really good. He also said that it's not really the bad foods that we eat that give us the cancer it's that we replace the good foods with those. That makes sense.

I hope they keep up with the awareness of cancer and the fact that colon/rectal cancer is hitting people at a younger age (Brian Williams did say this).
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:14 am

Katie knows.
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

2yng

Postby 2yng » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:57 am

terri- I Love the Dr.OZ Show! I saw the same episode! I not only eat broccoli every week, whether it's in a veggie/fruit smoothie with my Vita -mix or aspargus (when in season) ... now if I could only get motivated to get to the gym on the cold mornings after I drop my kiddos at school! A warm cozy bed is always alluring!
DX 11-13-07 stage IIb
infused chemo (5-FU) & Rad for 5 wks to shrink tumor
Colon resection and vag. wall repair.
temp ileo
FOLFOX on 3-24-o8 to 9-17-08
ileo reversal 6-10-08
10-16-08:NED!
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kendraportnova

wdt

Postby wdt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:15 am

Apparently all of the national news stations carried this information last night in a report. It was very interesting, especially with regard to colorectal cancer statistics and I was almost stunned when they said that although the death rates for colorectal were dropping, the numbers of people under the age of 50 being diagnosed had increased "dramatically".... Ya think?! Lilke you said Tony, glad to know they are looking at this, but what next? How many years will it take to get the screening age dropped to 40? Sounds like we need to pursue this as a project while the timing is right and on people's minds.
Hubby diag Nov 2006 at 43 Stage III rectal cancer, 3/12 nodes T2N1M0
LAR 12/07 Radiation and chemo Xeloda and Oxaliplatin (finished 10/07)
06/2009 lung mets; 2 lobes of rt lung removed,
11/2009 Oxaliplatin reaction; on to Irenotecan

SkiFletch
Facebook Username: Michael Fletcher

Postby SkiFletch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am

Heh, being dx'ed at only 29 here and new to the scene I wonder if 40 is enough... :shock:
11/13/09 5cm Stage IV 9/25 lymph nodes w/2cm peritoneal met at 29 YoA
12/15/09 LA right hemi-colectomy
6/16/10 Folfox FINISHED
8/10/10 Prophylactic HIPEC
10/9/10 got Married :D
Still NED and living life to the fullest

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life."

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:34 pm

I remember when I was diagnosed 5 1/2yr ago, the GI Dr who found my tumor said that they were noticing an increase in under 50 being diagnosed with CC. He figured it was just a matter of time before the AMA would have to drop the age from 50 to at least 40. He was in his early 40's at the time of my diagnoses and stated he was not waiting until he was 50 to get his first scope. Last time I talked to him, he indeed had his scope and all was good.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Interesting coincidence--I just read that Bryant Gumbel, Katie's old co-host from back in the day, has lung cancer. Actually, he had a resection three months ago and has been undergoing treatment. Don't know the stage or any other details.

Me: veg for 30 years, exercise like a maniac, don't smoke (do drink), and I still get cancer. So do all the right things--just don't expect any guarantees.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

rock

Postby rock » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:06 pm

I was just wondering.....
What if we could line everyone on a football field that has colon/rectal cancer [50 years and under]
to let the people see------That this is a big problem!!!!!!!
Alot of us did everything right.... on being healthy, the best we could-------and came up short on having this cancer!!!

I'm glad Katie Coiuric is talking and I hope more and more people will get the word out!!

Jane

Ivona
Facebook Username: Ivona Bradley

Postby Ivona » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Terry wrote:I watched Brian Williams report also. Quite a few of the cancers have had a drop in the death rates due to early detection and people changing their lifestyle habits. I also watched an episode from last weeks Dr. Oz and he talked about how everyone has cancer in them and we can keep from getting it with proper exercise (actually he said most people can keep from getting it, not all) and getting the correct foods. He said broccoli was the most important. He said beans, broccoli and some other food, allison (not sure of the spelling) should be eaten at least three times a week. Of course he said berries, yogurt, flax, onion and garlic were all really good. He also said that it's not really the bad foods that we eat that give us the cancer it's that we replace the good foods with those. That makes sense.

I hope they keep up with the awareness of cancer and the fact that colon/rectal cancer is hitting people at a younger age (Brian Williams did say this).

Terry:

I think you mean, 'allicin' which is the active compound in garlic (may also be in other onion family plants, not sure) :)
dx'd Oct '08 (age 48)
T3bN2Mx
9/23 LN's
resection Nov '08
Folfox Jan '09 - March '09
Xeloda March 24/09 - July 6/09

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'. "

cynthiaf

Postby cynthiaf » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm

wdt wrote:Apparently all of the national news stations carried this information last night in a report. It was very interesting, especially with regard to colorectal cancer statistics and I was almost stunned when they said that although the death rates for colorectal were dropping, the numbers of people under the age of 50 being diagnosed had increased "dramatically".... Ya think?! Lilke you said Tony, glad to know they are looking at this, but what next? How many years will it take to get the screening age dropped to 40? Sounds like we need to pursue this as a project while the timing is right and on people's minds.

How is your husband doing??did he have colon or rectal cancer???

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”