Does anyone know...(about sedatives used during colonoscopy)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kelly

Does anyone know...(about sedatives used during colonoscopy)

Postby Kelly » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:17 am

What sedatives are typically used during the colonoscopy to put the patient out? I'm trying to figure out if I can breastfeed my fifteen month old after I get the procedure. The doctor says not too (for 24 hours), but in the case of anesthesia, I've heard docs can be overly cautious when it comes to breastfeeding after a procedure or surgery.

She's fifteen months, as I mentioned, so it's not like she NEEDS to nurse. She just loves it still, and only nurses a few times a day. I haven't been in a situation where I've had to deny her.

I've got the test coming up this Tuesday, and am looking oh-so-forward to the prep...

blanca

Postby blanca » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 pm

The sedatives that they use are not as strong as regular anesthesia. I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and I woke up twice during the procedure.
Stage III dx July 2005. Surgery in November 2005, port out, 2nd P.E.T scan normal-October 2006

bud

colonoscopy

Postby bud » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:33 pm

although the procedure can be a little bit more difficult for women-(more plumbing down there..) I've done it several times w/o any kind of sedative, and know several women who have done it without also..
In my case, it was absolutely pain and discomfort free; I watched it all on
the TV screen.
bud

Noonie2

sedatives

Postby Noonie2 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 pm

Is your doc. doing the colonoscopy? He should have told you what type they were using. I was totally knocked out for all of mine and didn't wake up until I was back in recovery. If it was me, I probably would not breast feed her for those 24 hours, just in case! You are here for her and want to BE HERE for her. Why are you getting a colonoscopy? Cancer Scare?

suzannchili

Postby suzannchili » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Pump and dump! My son was born 4 years after my diagnosis, but when the time came for a routine colonoscopy I too was told to stop breast feeding for 24 hours. Easier said than done, but why risk it? I pumped and dumped to continue my flow, and after 24 hrs snuggled again with my beautiful boy. In the meantime, he had a bottle with previously frozen milk. Better safe than sorry.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”