Liver Tumor(s) Swelling ?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
KP

Liver Tumor(s) Swelling ?

Postby KP » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 pm

I finally joined and realized I really want to post this question...a nagging issue for me. I have stage iv cc with 3 mets in the liver. It was discovered one week after Isabel, our daughter, was born, when I felt a large banana-shaped bulge below the ribcage immediately following my c-section. The swelling/tumor is no longer feel-able on a daily basis....

My question is this - sometimes the area below the ribcage gets really swollen and bloated out in a "puffy pouch" and I can feel pressure. It happens sometimes when I have been really active and busy or sometimes when I am tired...but I am not sure if there is really a pattern. Has anyone experienced this ?

I just wonder what triggers it...dehydration, fatigue, ? ?

I am so thrilled to find this site where the attitudes are so healthy and the circumstances are very relate-able. As like many of you, I was shocked at my diagnosis - 35 yrs old and so much living yet to do! No way am I gonna go without a fight. My original drs said "6 months to live" and weren't even going to use Avastin, nor really saw chemo as a valuable treatment. They basically said - plan how to spend the next 6 months... But we switched treatment centers and insurance plans (lucky for us) and now I have an aggressive oncologist who gives great hope to my cause.

Thanks for listening.... :lol:
Karen

nodo

Postby nodo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:39 pm

I had a bulge similar to what you described, but it was always associated with pain. It was actually my colon when it was contracting as my tumor was in the tranverse part, close to the belly button. I don't know if that is the same as what you are having. Once my tumor was removed, it was not an issue. Don't listen to the statistics of that first doctor. There are survivors of every type of cancer and there is no reason why you can't be one of them. I believe that your medical treatment is so important, but you can also do things to help your battle. Get the proper nutrition and use your mind, whether it is visual imagery (visualizing your cancer cells being beaten by the chemo) or the power of other positive thinking. Good luck and I'll say a prayer for your recovery.

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 pm

KP, don't give up hope. I heard the six month thing too when they found mets in my liver. I, too, began with three mets. They told me I was inoperable because the cancer was in both lobes. They were WRONG. M.D. Anderson and other leading cancer hospitals are regularly doing resections of both lobes. I did nothing for six months and my mets grew and multiplied to five. Then I accidently stumbled upon a surgeon who changed my outlook and my life. I've done six rounds of Folfox with Avastin (sometimes) and my lesions have shrunk. I will have surgery in April. There is hope for me.

If you have not already done so, find a good surgeon and talk about options. It could save your life.

PS I have liver pain for the first time ever (or at least the area is painful) - strange it would come now with the lesions being shrunken and sick. It could be a sided effect from the chemo I suppose.

Good luck!

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:49 am

karen,
I live in seattle also. There are great drs in this city. I am 43 and also stage 4 .41 at time of diagnosis. I had 8 tumors in my liver I have been cancer free for 16 months now. Dont give up hope.
cancer life line has great colon support group if you want to come nice people I try to always go maybe we can meet. remember you are not alone . you can read my story on the colondar Im april for 2007.
keep fighting Anita
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

Dress In Blue Girl

Postby Dress In Blue Girl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:53 am

karen,
I live in seattle also. There are great drs in this city. I am 43 and also stage 4 .41 at time of diagnosis. I had 8 tumors in my liver I have been cancer free for 16 months now. Dont give up hope.
cancer life line has great colon support group if you want to come nice people I try to always go maybe we can meet. remember you are not alone . you can read my story on the colondar Im april for 2007.
keep fighting
anita

IV feb 2005 colon resection,
folfori w/avastin,
Aug 2005 liver resection/rfa to get rid of 8 liver tumors
Sept 2005 folfox w/avastin NED!!!!
avastin till Jan 2007
port out July 2007

Be the change you want to see in the world

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi Anita,
I just tried to send you a PM, but I'm not sure it went. (you likely either got two messages or none.) Anyhow, I was hoping for more info on how you got rid of your liver mets. I read your bio on the Colondar but it wasn't specific. Would appreciate anything you can share.

Thanks!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”