Port healing

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
shel28

Port healing

Postby shel28 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:30 am

I had a port put in about 13 days ago and I am still sore. Sometimes I feel like it wants to rip out of my shoulder. If I walk around to much I get sharp pains in that area after a while. Also when I take a shower and the water beats down on it it hurts. How long did it take you to completely heal? I want to start working out again at the gym but I am afraid I will damage it and cause more pain.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Mine didn't start feeling like that until it had been in about 9 months. I think some if it depends on how deeply it's implanted. Are you getting Avastin? That can slow healing down. You said it's in your shoulder. That may be affecting it. It may be closer to the surface. They seem to be more comfortable if they're under a bit of fat. In any case, have your doctor check it and make sure it's not infected. Check your temperature and look for any redness or drainage. Some of them are just uncomfortable. Mine was after some of the fat wore away.

wendy21

port experience

Postby wendy21 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:58 pm

When I first had my port installed, it didn't feel too bad. About 2 weeks later, it was getting more sore and hurt to stretch my arm up. When I went for the first chemo, the doctor sent me straight back to the surgeon. Apparently I had an internalm infected stich. The doctor said that doesn't usually happen, but he opened and cleaned the area. the pain went away and the incision continued to heal. (My port was small and close to the surface.)
When I had the port removed -- about 15 months after it was placed and after a year of Avastin, it took almost 3 months to completely heal -- but no infected stiches this time!

klryder02

Postby klryder02 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:28 pm

I was on hydrocodon (sp) up until the end of Nov and I had my port installed beginning of Nov. After I went off the hydrocodone, it seemed sore for a couple of weeks. I called the surgeon's nurse asking about what infected ports "meant". She said it would break out in a rash and be kinda itchy. That wasn't me.

I am pretty thin right now, so like everyone else said, it makes a difference. When you sleep, do you sleep on your side? I usually move on my side temp. during the night, and I had to train myself not to lay on the port side, because it makes it feel really sore.

Good Luck.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Momof4

Cancer Survivor!

Postby Momof4 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:33 pm

Hello, I am new to this site. I am a colorectal cancer survivor.

shel28

Postby shel28 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey. The port is in the typical spot. Above my right breast and near the collar bone or shoulder. I am pretty thin so you can see the bump and the tube going up to my neck. It's pretty gross. Today they stuck the chemo needle in and it is not flush with the skin. The needle is sticking out a bit which bothers me and it sometimes hurts. And I can't sleep on that side of my body. I am taking 5 FU by the pump for 5 1/2 weeks straight. No days off. Just wear the pump continuosly. Too bad fanny packs aren't in style anymore. :P I am also on 5 1/2 weeks of radiation.
Michelle. Stage III rectal cancer. Diagnosed Dec. 27, 2006. 28 years old. Los Angeles, CA and Denver, CO.

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:58 am

Hi. I had my port put in on my left side since I am right-handed. I am a side sleeper and way more comfortable sleeping on my right side (without the port). The port does cause discomfort if I sleep on the left side too long. Also when I came home with the pump (FOLFOX and FOLFIRI) the needle couldn't go in all the way -- so I know what you mean about it hurting a little bit. Overall my port has been great and does not limit me. I have had it in for 3 years and 2 months and haven't had any major problems.

Miss Kim

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:59 am

Mine took about a month to heal i guess...it got put in when i got resected and i was sooo taped up for awhile i had no idea where it was or what it looked like! it itches every now and then and did get pains in it from time to time. i didn't sleep on that side when i had the pump on but it doesn't bother me now sleeping on that side (have just completed 12 cycles where i had to wear a pump 2 nights in a row every other week). had it since june. i wouldn't trade that sucker for anything though! it does help if you have some body fat there...at least that is one good thing about being 'well blessed' in that area. i've gotten compliments from nurses and caregivers that it doesn't stick out as much. yeah body fat! my incision did split but didn't really realize it until my surgeon mentioned it...oh well it will be coming out one day eventually...

wishing you healing thoughts it heals up soon! give it time i know it feels like it will never close up but it eventually does!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:24 am

I had a nasty skin reaction to the Tegaderm, but other than that mine didn't bother me at all until it had been in about 9 months. The fat layer over it got thinner and everything that touched it hurt like crazy. I'm not on chemo proper any more, just Avastin monotherapy, so I had it taken out. It took a while for the second incision to heal, but all is well now. Funny thing, I had Tegaderm with every infusion, and never had a problem, but with the port insertion and removal, my skin looked like it was burned. Maybe it was a different brand with a different adhesive or something. It would be nice to know so I don't get whichever one did that again. I don't know if I reacted to real Tegaderm or generic or another name brand. I think I'll check on that now that I'm thinking about it.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”