colon polyps and children

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
northern lights

colon polyps and children

Postby northern lights » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:52 am

I am a stage 3 survivor. My daughter is now showing blood in her stool and on the toilet paper when she wipes. This has been going on for a couple of months and the doctors keep saying that it is fissures even though they know my history.

I know that all of you right now are thinking "get a colonoscopy", but my daughter is 6 years old!! Has anyone with young children been through a colonoscopy with someone so young? She is being referred to a Pedeatric GI and I just can't imagine someone so small and so vulnerable going through this.

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:24 pm

Did you do the genetic testing? It might ease your mind about your daughter. I think it would be very rare, but it would be worth checking out for your peace of mind. I had Stage 3 CC at 37, with 3 children, and no previous family history. We did the genetic testing, but will still have my children have thier 1st colonoscopy at about 20 yo.

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Northern Lights,
When my son was about the same age as your daughter when he had the same problem. He was examined and he just had some fissures from straining. We did stool testing as well to assure no blood in the stool but nothing abnormal. The issue resolved itself shortly after it began. Just gave him more fruit and liquids to ease passage and allow fissures to heal. If the blood is bright red, then it is near the surface.

Suzieh,
I am also in the process of going through genetic testing for the HNPCC gene mutation. I was diagnosed at age 40 with stage 3c and no prior history so my kids (12 and 9) should have colonoscopies by age 30. If you don't mind me asking, how did your genetic testing process go? What plan of action are you taking in regards to the results?

Best of luck to both of you,
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”