Oxaliplatin allergies

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
brittneykay

Oxaliplatin allergies

Postby brittneykay » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 pm

Hey everyone-

I am new to posting on the board. I did however find this board right after being diagnosed and it truly was amazing to know that others as young as me were going through the same thing. I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer last January (06) at age 23. Since then I have had surgery to remove part of the colon, both ovaries, and a spot on the liver. I then had 30 rounds of chemo. I finished in December and my last scan shows that everything was clear.

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced allergic reactions to oxaliplatin? After a few rounds they discovered that I was allergic to it and was not allowed to continue using it. I was switched over to camptosar. When they discovered the allergy it was because it caused my heart rate and blood pressure to go extremely high. It was a pretty terrifying experience. Has anyone else experienced anything like this.
Brittney :)
Stage IV at 23.
"Let each day be your masterpiece."

northern lights

Postby northern lights » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:47 am

Hi Brittaney,

I had an allergic reaction during the last round of 12 cycles. I was able to finish the dose, but was told that I would never be allowed to take it again in the future. My reaction was turning beet red, and just feeling really off.

Sharon
Diagnosed Stage III Jan 06. Completed Treatment Oct 06. NED Dec 06,

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi Brittney,

I also had some real difficulties with Oxaliplatin (eg. laboured breathing, runny nose, bright red face, welts all over my body) and finally, during the tenth treatment, had to stop the drug altogether. Seems to me that quite a few fellow posters have had allergic reactions to the drug.

Great news regarding your last scan.

All the best,
Monique

Becca

Postby Becca » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:06 pm

I had an allergic reaction @ my 8th treatment. My onco did not act too shocked, but my nurse told me that I'm only the 2nd or 3rd patient that has had an allergic reaction ever in the office, & it is a HUGE practice. Based on my research, the reaction is not that uncommon. I don't know about you, but my side effects from the Oxaliplatin were very severe, & I understand that that can be an inication of a possible allergy.

Andrea

Oxiliplatin desentization protocol

Postby Andrea » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:03 pm

I started having allergic reactions to Oxiliplatin during my 7th chemo treatment. I was switched to Ironetecan for a long time. The Ironetecan wasn't helping much so my oncologist researched and found a Dr at Harvard who developed a desensitization protocol. Last May 06 I started and have had somewhere around 20 treatments without a reaction. The only bad part is I have to stay in Oncology ICU the whole four days of chemo. (I'm also getting Avastin, 5FU, Ironectecan, and Erbitux.) Please let me know if you would like more info.
Andrea

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”