can I swim with the radiation ink markings?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
georgemma

can I swim with the radiation ink markings?

Postby georgemma » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:38 pm

Hello -- I know that this is somewhat ridiculous, but . . . When I met the radiation oncologist, he said that I would definitely be able to swim during the course of the treatment. I told him that the nurse said I couldn't, because of the markings, and he replied that he was less rigorous in his outlook than she. Today I had the PET/CT scans, and I was marked with a Sharpie pen. I told the technologists that I intended to swim tomorrow, and they just shrugged. I forgot to call the oncologist's office afterwards, and now I am wondering about swimming tomorrow. I do a Masters swim group at 6 am, so should I skip it, call the office when it opens, and get the okay first? How difficult will it be for the markings to be redone? Should I have the tattoos? One of the technologists suggested that, but he didn't know any of the details (who does it, where, if it is painful, cost, etc.) Any advice would be appreciated!

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm surprised they didn't tatoo you. I thought that was just normal. With me, it was just a tiny pinprick of ink on both hips and one on my abdomen. It wasn't painful. It's been a year and I can still see the dots if I look hard enough. But swimming was never a problem. Its important that you carry on with your normal life as much as possible while you go through this. If swimmng is important, then you should do it. Maybe it's worth asking about the tatoo?

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:43 pm

if you want to continue swimming, you should definitely get the tattoo's.
They should do it right there in the office, takes only a moment, just a tiny pin prick.
to be honest, i don't see mine. i mean, if i look for em, but it just is a dot. on either cheek. and one on the top of my butt crack.
it's absolutely nothing major, and then you wouldn't have to worry about em washing off.
dont' know the cost. hell, i'm not even sure i got charged for it.
it was just something that went along with everything else.

LA8

Postby LA8 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:39 am

I completely forgot about the tatoos I received in Sept. I've just had a look in the mirror and they have completely disappeared (I should have asked for bigger ones).

Markings

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 am

With my husband, he did not have tatoos for his 7 weeks. They used a sharpie and put some kind of tape over it once a week. The tape ended up causing a problem once, so they had me go over the markings every day.

I don't think swimming would be a problem as long as you get the X's remarked.

MA

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi, all -- Thanks for the info. I swam this morning, and later I called the oncologist's office. I am supposed to use a Sharpie, and afte the treatment begins I can get the tattoos. Anything that can keep my exercising is worth it . . .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”