itching from 5fu, anyone?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missjv

itching from 5fu, anyone?

Postby missjv » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:52 pm

just got unhooked yesterday from my 46 5fu infusion and about an hour later my skin was on fire, palms of my hands are burning and i itch like a nut. anyone else experience this? benydryl helps then it wares off and i itch again.

missjv

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi Missjv,
I had many reactions to 5fu but never itching. I wonder if it is an allergic reaction. How are you doing otherwise? Are you recovered from your resection? I hope things get better for you...
Margot
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

skier03

5FU redness & itching

Postby skier03 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi,

This is my second time on the lovely 5FU pump. My first time around (for 7 months about a year ago), I did not have any reactions to my hands and feet from the infusion. However, I am on it again, just about finished (one more treatment to go!), and have had many hands and feet problems this time around. I don't know if it's the different combination of drugs or if my body is just reacting differently. Anyway, the day that I come off of the pump, my hands and feet turn bright red, my fingers are a little bit swollen, everything is completely dry, my feet teeter between itching and hurting, and my hands are just extremely sensitive and in pain. This lasts for about 2-3 days, and then my hands and feet are just really dry. The doctor told me that hyperpigmentation is a side effect of the chemo, and of course dry skin is as well. I don't know if everything else is normal or not (but then again, what's normal on chemo?), but you are not alone in your experiences and side effects. I would mention it to the doctor, but I think that aside from the discomfort, you are probably just having a "normal" reaction to the chemo.

Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any more questions.

Skier03

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”