Chemo treatment

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpa

Chemo treatment

Postby mpa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:11 pm

I have just finished 20 radiation treatments for some tumors in my lung that was metastic colon cancer. I had a colon tumor removed in November, 2004 that had metastasized to my lymph nodes along with 35 lymph nodes. I recieved chemo after the surgery with six months of oxyplatin and 5fu/levecor every two weeks. I was reassured I was cancer free. I had regular blood tests to monitor my cea count and was told everything was fine. In July, 2006 my cea count was elevated slighty(4.6) and another blood test was performed and the count went down(4.0) but not to the regular levels(2.0). I also developed a slight dry cough and was told by my oncologist that nothing was wrong. In November, 2006 I was admitted to my local hospital with severe chest pains, thinking I was having a heart attack I was much surprised to learn that I had pnuemonia caused by a tumor the size of an orange in my upper left lung and broncial tube. Two other tumors were found the size of lemons in my lower lobes of the left lung. I went back to my oncolgist for a followup after being released from the hospital. When questioned by my wife why I had never had any kind of scans for cancer while under his care, he replied that if he scaned 100 people off the street he would find some with cancer and any way if they had found it the prognosis would be the same. I couldn't believe my ears! I had already resolved not to be treated by theis oncologist again and went to the Duke University Cancer Center. They thoroughly tested me and removed one of the smaller tumors and recommended a course of radiation to reduce the larger one and to follow up with xeloda and avastin. I am supposed to begin this treatment in a month. Thanks for your patience with my story. Now my question. Has anyone had a similar experience with your colon cancer metastasizing in the lung and has anyone had any experience with xeloda/avastin treatments and the results?
Thanks, MPA

missjv

Postby missjv » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:06 pm

hi,
wow what a story. no i have not had metastasis to lungs but i did to liver just had liver resection 5 weeks ago and am considered no eveidence of disease but will continue to be scanned regular for the next few years for recurrance. you should have had regular scans after chemo was done i get mine every three months for 1st year that way if something does pop back up it can be dealt with right away. if your doc would have done that with you your could have been caught when starting to grow he sounds like a real quack who should not be in business. my 1st onco was a quack and i fired her right away. im glad you went to a large cancer center for help that is your best bet. good luck!

missjv

Lifes2short

Postby Lifes2short » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:34 pm

I can't believe that your doctor wasn't doing routine scans of your chest, abdomen and pelvis. I thought that was normal protocol. Colorectal cancer commonly metastasizes to the liver and/or lungs. With 35 prositive nodes, you were certainly a candidate for mets. Did they do scans prior to and after chemo? Do you know for sure you were clear than? I'm sorry for what you're going through. Hopefully the radiation and maybe more chemo will help. I would guess you have a medical negligence case if you wanted to persue one. Had the mets been found earlier they might have been operable.

I'm in the same boat - dx late with the cancer - probably have a medical negligence case. I'm chosing not to persue it, but sometimes it's difficult to stay above the anger.

Best of luck to you. Please hang around here. It's a great group and you'll find some excellent support here.

bud

crc mets to lungs

Postby bud » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 am

my etiology is nearly identical to yours, although I don't know the history;
I've been on P/mAb (similar to erbitux, but human, rather than mouse derived) and Avastin for about six months now, with breaks inbetween.
last scans showed that tumors-(20+) all have shrunk..Dr sez that these drugs are not a cure; that they can buy some time, but not necessarily. I have to make a decision next week whether to continue these drugs.
Side effects have been minimal compared to chemo, but there are some possible serious ones, like death. Mine have been extreme dehydration and rash, and possibly back/joint pain, although the Dr says that the latter is probably not caused by the monoclonal antibodies-yes, that's what they call them, and they essentially block the growth of new blood vessels, depriving the tumors of essential nutrients-(and all the good guys too..
If your Dr. doesn't give it to you pretty much like above, then look for a 2nd opinion.

bud

crc mets to lungs

Postby bud » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 am

my etiology is nearly identical to yours, although I don't know the history;
I've been on P/mAb (similar to erbitux, but human, rather than mouse derived) and Avastin for about six months now, with breaks inbetween.
last scans showed that tumors-(20+) all have shrunk..Dr sez that these drugs are not a cure; that they can buy some time, but not necessarily. I have to make a decision next week whether to continue these drugs.
Side effects have been minimal compared to chemo, but there are some possible serious ones, like death. Mine have been extreme dehydration and rash, and possibly back/joint pain, although the Dr says that the latter is probably not caused by the monoclonal antibodies-yes, that's what they call them, and they essentially block the growth of new blood vessels, depriving the tumors of essential nutrients-(and all the good guys too..
If your Dr. doesn't give it to you pretty much like above, then look for a 2nd opinion.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”