I'm new here; meeting the radiation oncologist on Wednesday

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wdt

Postby wdt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 pm

I am glad that everything went well with the PET scan. I saw your post about the radiation. I may be turning the tables and asking you some questions in the near future because my husband will be having radiation also. They want to get a cycle of chemo in (with xeloda and oxaliplatin) then do 6 weeks of radiation and then another round of chemo. He is very nervous about the radiation side effects. He ran into a woman that he knows recently at a meeting that has rectal cancer and she completed radiation. Unfortunatley, she was telling him all kinds of horror stories...so he is a basket case now.

His PET showed a spot on his thyroid that is being worked up to see if it is a new unrelated cancer or if it could possibly be a metastasis of the rectal cancer. So until we get that resolved, they may have to delay the start of his chemo and that would then push back the radiation... Needless to say, we weren't too happy about all that. He goes to see the head and neck surgeon this friday----wish us luck! We could use some GOOD news for a change!

jane
Facebook Username: sian leal

I'm new here. Meeting the radiation oncologist on wednesday.

Postby jane » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:02 am

I had 6 weeks of combined radio and chemo. I had no side effects other than a bit of tiredness and a couple of bouts of diarrhoea. There wasn't the slightest reddening even of my skin. Please tell your husband not to get in a state - doesn't everyone like to tell you the worst case scenario. Good luck.
Rectal tumour Nov 2005 T3 N1 M0 age 42, Mum of 4.
Chemo/radiotherapy, 5FU via pump
Surgery (straight anastamosis), TME Feb 2006
Finished 5FU, Leucovorin July 2006
NED since!
I want to die of old age!

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi, wdt: I will certainly keep my fingers crossed for you and your husband. Is it possible that an over-zealous new radiologist has misread the scans? The waiting is always so agonizing, so I hope that the hours pass by quickly. Let us know what happens.

wdt

Postby wdt » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:34 pm

No new news really. The head and neck surgeon wants to wait to do a biopsy until he has a cycle of chem but do it before radiation. He said regardless of the results of the biopsy, if it were a thyroid cancer primary or a metastatic rectal adenocarcinoma, he would not do surgery until all the chemo and radiation is complete.

So, on we go....

georgemma

Postby georgemma » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:46 pm

Hi, wdt, I am sorry to hear that you have been rewarded by your patience with having to wait some more. I will continue to think of you and your husband and hope for the best. I just read lucky1's posting and your response. It was interesting to learn that you are a nurse yourself. I should have realized that you were in the health field, given the professional nature of your responses to my questions.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”