How Is Andrea?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tandy24
Facebook Username: Lisa Tandy

How Is Andrea?

Postby tandy24 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:16 pm

Has anyone heard from Andrea lately? I have kept up on her post and have not heard anyting for some time now. I am praying all is ok.
God Bless and Believe,

janb

Postby janb » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:48 pm

She is still waiting and hoping for treatment. Keep her in your prayers.
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have been so busy with my kids and this SIR-spheres thing. Last Monday I went up to Fairfax, VA and had the angiogram, embolization (to block off certain arteries), and another test to make sure I didn't have blood shunting off my liver to my lungs. I passed with flying colors. Thurs, Feb 8th I go in for the procedure.
I also recieved a call from the National Cancer Institute and there may be a clinical trial I can get into. It works by turbo charging the immune system to fight the cancer cells. It has proven well to work with Melanoma and is now being tested against other cancers. I'll let you know as I find out.
Take Care and God Bless You,
Andrea

missjv

Postby missjv » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:01 pm

HI ANDREA,
WOW THATS GREAT NEWS, SOUNDS LIKE EVERYTHING IS WORKING OUT FOR YOU IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS, TAKE CARE.

MISSJV

janb

Postby janb » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:03 pm

The power of prayer! Yippee..... wishing nothing but the best Andrea. :D
Together....we can make a difference!
www.whereintheworldisgregkelley.com

Aunt Marilyn

Postby Aunt Marilyn » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Andrea what wonderful news! You didn't give up and now new possibilities are opening up for you :D

Can you help me with some information? My nephew was dx with stage iv rectal cancer in 10/05 - mets to the liver, given 6 months to live, and is still doing very well, thank you! We're interested in the sirt sphere procedure but need more information. I've read that it doesn't matter how many mets you have, then hear that they don't like to do it if you have more than x number. Can I ask what the status of your liver is, and did you have to meet certain conditions re the mets in order to qualify, or were they willing to go for it as long as the vascular tests came out ok? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, can you provide the name or other info re that clinical trial? It sounds like a good one.

Thanks for your help. You are an inspiration to all who are working to kick cancer a@#.
Aunt Marilyn

Andrea

Postby Andrea » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Marilyn,
I have extensive tumors throughout my liver. The radiologist wants to do the SIR-spheres twice to get as much as possible. Gather your nephews CTs, PETs, medical records and contact a physician who is doing SIR-spheres. There are three appt's. During the initial consultation, scans are reviewed and the procedure explained. The second visit is for the angiogram with embolization (certain arteries are blocked off), and a scan is done at the end of the angio to see if there is blood shunting off of the liver to the lungs. If more than 20% blood flow to lungs procedure can't be done. There is a danger of healthy organs being damaged by the radioactive spheres. After this visit you will go back within 3 weeks to have the actual procedure done. I was scheduled for Feb 8th but have been moved up to the 6th. I was DX July 04 and given 6 months to live a couple of times. As long as you are willing to keep trying and have support you can keep fighting. Don't give up.
Andrea

Dot

Postby Dot » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Andrea;

What great news. Please keep us posted. I think of you often. Glad to hear you are busy with the kids. Aren't they just great! They will keep you going.

Dot

tandy24

Postby tandy24 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:13 pm

So glad to hear from you Andrea! Today is the 6th!!! Please let us know how everything went.
God Bless and Believe,

tandy24

Postby tandy24 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:13 pm

So glad to hear from you Andrea! Today is the 6th!!! Please let us know how everything went.
God Bless and Believe,

Fitzgeraldmom

Lots o' luck!

Postby Fitzgeraldmom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:46 pm

I just got off the phone with Steve, Andrea's husband who said the procedure went , in his words "very well." Steve said she will be able to go home tomorrow!!! Just wanted everyone to know :-) :D
.. And to Aunt Marilyn, Andrea should be the poster child for hope.
I had the honor of meeting her when my mother (janb) and I surprised her and flew to Virginia to meet her and she is just the sweetest most wonderful woman. I feel so blessed to have her as a friend in my life. :D
Good luck to your nephew Marilyn... We all will pray for him!!
Hope all is well with everyone!!!
Kellie (Fitzgeraldmom)

meighan

Postby meighan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:19 am

It is a good day then!!! i am so very happy for you andrea. Just through your spirit and ability to share your good days and bad days like no other you have touched many of us. You are the poster child for hope because today i will call my husband tell him your news and we will all feel a little stronger against this disease.....Be strong, take care of yourself and recover well...... thank you so much for i carry your story in my heart.

Andrea

SIR-spheres

Postby Andrea » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:46 pm

I'm back from Fairfax, VA. We actually got home around noon yesterday. Everything went perfect. The spheres were sent to my right lobe of my liver. Mar 6th I go back and have the same thing done to my left lobe. The radiologist thought it may be too much to hit both at the same time because of the tumor amount. I asked him when will I feel a difference and he said 2-3 months. My body has to reabsorb the tumor. I hope a lot of the scar tissue disappears. I will be patiently waiting and updating you. Thank you for the poster child compliment. :lol:
I sent blood off to the National Health Institute to see if I can participate in a clinical trial. I should know early next week if I proceed on to the next step which would be to find out my tumor type. I have to hunt down my records. Everything happened so fast when I had surgery, finding out about being sick, etc anyway I never thought to get my medical records from the hospital in FL who did the surgery. Good thing is my mom still works there. The trial is working on immunotherapy which in short revs up your immune system to kick cancer butt.
Love,
Andrea

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Andrea, I am so thankful that everything went so well with your procedure. I am praying that you get into the clinical trial. I think that the immunotherapy is a very good thing. I have followed your posts and have been crossing my fingers for you. I am only 42 with 3 kids (11, 9, and 6) and was diagnosed 6/2003 with stage 4 cc. I am currently on Vectibix treatments every other week. Hang in there and know that you have a lot of people at the colon club praying for you.

Miss Kim

Fitzgeraldmom

Waaahooooo!!!!!

Postby Fitzgeraldmom » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:54 am

Glad to hear all went well Andrea!!!!
Thank the Lord! :D
... and you are welcome for the poster child compliment... You should be the poster child for Hope Andrea! For all you have and for all you inspire in others!!!
Miss you :wink:
Kellie

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”