15yrs old & scared I've got colon cancer! :(

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jess

15yrs old & scared I've got colon cancer! :(

Postby Jess » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:31 am

I was 15 in December and for about a month I've had lower abdominal pain in left side that began with a sting and now is a crampy/stitchy pains that happen occasionally and when I twist and move. The pain has now also spread to my back and although it is not disturbing my life it is worrying.

I've also had constipation and also diorreah twice which was just like a normal stool except all watery and softened. My bowel movements have changed for example I did 4 stools yesterday & they always have lots of mucous, for about a week I did small hard pellety stools and sometimes they are almost squashed together with mucous.

As well as this I've had lots of gas, wind and gas pains since just before christmas which has gradually got worse although settles down sometimes. In the morning it is really bad and I feel sick until I pass flatulence. I keep passing alot of wind and feel as if I constantly have wind in my lower bowel to pass.

Worst of all is that for a week I had red bits in my stool that looked very much like blood, I'm sure it was blood but am convincing myself it wasn't. They were just in the stool randomly, sometimes they were solid and others times seemed part of the stool. I'm really scared and know its unlikely I'll have cancer at my age, I've been to the doctors twice and told them about the wind but am too embarressed to go on about my feaces etc

I have no family history of any cancers except lung cancer, and know that even if I go to the docs again and tell them everything there is no chance they'll give me a colonoscomy. My mum knows about everything & just tells me its probably IBS or because of my diet but the pain seems to get steadily worse and I just want to have a normal bowel again :(

What should I do? I don't want to leave it too late if it is colon cancer!

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:35 am

The wind is really bad, I don't pass any for a while then I suddenly pass a huge one or lots of small ones. I can hold it in if I want but I don't know why I get so much. The doctor gave me gaviscon to take but I don't think it makes much difference, just makes me belch it instead.

Jess

Postby Jess » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:38 am

Also if I push hard on my back or stomach where the pain comes from it hurts, does this mean I may be pushing on a tumour?
I'm so scared :(

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:59 am

Jess,
Print your first post and take it to your doctor, if he doesn’t order a colonoscopy, go to a different doctor.

Good Luck,
Dave

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 am

Jess, this may well actually be IBS, but to find out, you need to see what's inside. If there's red in the stool I'd certianly want to see where it's coming from. If you need to, get a copy of the colondar and show your doctor all the young people with colon cancer. Just remember, for your peace of mind, colon cancer in people your age with no family history is still very rare. It's just not unheard of. You need to know one way or the other. Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck.

ECK

Postby ECK » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Hey, my name is Emily and I had some similar symptoms 3 or 4 months prior to my diagnosis. I was 20 years old (I'm 22 now) and was scared and embarrassed as well, but please go get this checked out asap! I have stage IV colon cancer; it has spread to my liver and lung. I could have saved it from spreading if I had gotten it checked out sooner. I am not trying to scare you, and it is true that this cancer is very rare in someone so young, but I promise it will be worth the embarrassing conversation with your doctor to have peace of mind or to know whats truly going on with your body. If it is something like IBS or even colitis, your doc will be able to help you with these as well.

Kerry Nelson

Postby Kerry Nelson » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:47 pm

Jess-

You have read the other posts here, which are excellent. Do NOT worry about the embarrassment of talking to a doctor. They hear this stuff all the time. PLEASE get this looked at ASAP. There is no time to wait. You will have peace of mind only when you go in and get this checked out. Until then, you will worry. PLEASE keep us updated. We are here for you. I am a colon cancer surviver.

Kerry

LA8

Re: 15yrs old & scared I've got colon cancer! :(

Postby LA8 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:43 am

[quote="Jess"]

Worst of all is that for a week I had red bits in my stool that looked very much like blood, I'm sure it was blood but am convincing myself it wasn't. quote]

I know this is serious, but you reminded me of something that happened years ago (before I had any idea what CC was). I had been to the toilet, in there were shiny red and green pieces in my (then big and firm) stool. I also was scared, and spent the day wondering what was wrong with me. When I eventually went to my car, I noticed a larde empty packet of Ju-jubes on the seat!!

Anyway, as has already been said, don't ever be embarrased to talk to the doc or worry about any test he may do! Best of luck!

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:58 am

Jess, please private mesage me with your address and I'll send you a Colondar (our calendar of young people all diagnosed with colorectal cancer under the age of 50) to show your Mom and to show your doctor. You're right. It's very unlikely that you have colon cancer...but not impossible. FORCE your doctor to look into it and force your Mom to take you seriously. It may turn out to be Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, or just grouchy belly, but without a colonscopy, no one can actually diagnose you. In the 2007 Colondar, one of our survivors was diagnsoed at 15!

suzannchili

Postby suzannchili » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:12 pm

Jess,

You are so smart to be proactive and take control of your own care! It may not be cancer but it is certainly imperative that you find out! If you are embarrsed to tell your doctor of your symptoms face to face, write them down and give it to him/her. You write very well.

Good luck and good for you for being so smart to reach out to others!

XO,
Suzann

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Definetely get checked out!!! get scoped!!! i agree find a doc who will do it if your current one won't. your life is more precious than any imbarrisment you may have now.

i just went to a meeting yesterday for the Colorectal Awarness Network and one of the committee members knows of a 17 year old boy who was just dx. his mom had it at 17 also.

best wishes and pray it's not the big C. but get checked out hon!
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

CBLACK

Postby CBLACK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:16 pm

If you are concerned about blood in your stool you may want to start by having your doctor take a stool sample. If blood is found the next step could be a colonoscopy. Regardless let your doctor know everything you have been experiencing. Being proactive is important. I also suggest giving your doctor a print out of your posted message. Good luck and check back and let us know how everything goes.

kerry nelson

Postby kerry nelson » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:30 pm

Jess-

Please give us an update when you have one. We care about you.

Kerry

Momof4

Persistence is key!

Postby Momof4 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:57 pm

Please get checked out! You need the peace of mind! I had began experiencing gas, constipation, diarrhea, and blood in my stools. For several months I would tell my doctor. They ke[t telling me I was young (25) had children so it was probably only hemroids. After several months I went to a gastreointologist. He felt my tumor right away in my rectum and ordered a colonoscopy. I was diagnosed with rectum cancer. I underwent chemo, radiation, surgery to remove and reconstruct my rectum, 9 months with an illesostomy and more chemo. Here now in Jan. 2007 I am cancer free! Give your mind a break and just talk to a doctor.

none

Postby none » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 pm

You can ask for a stool test and that will determine if there is blood in the stool. If there is, I think your doctor would then do a colonoscopy.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”