sessile polyps

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
curious

sessile polyps

Postby curious » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 pm

I had a colonoscopy this week and my doctor removed what he said to be a 15mm benign appearing sessile polyp from my rectum. I'm awaiting the biopsy results. I was curious to know how many of you were told initially that your polyp appeared to be benign, but then found out following a biopsy that it was actually malignant.

sbstantial
Facebook Username: GLORIA ROSENBERG

Re: sessile polyps

Postby sbstantial » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:16 am

I AM ONE. LAST YEAR BETWEEN BREAST CANCER AND THRYOID CANCER I TOOK A COLONSCOPY WHICH WAS LISTED AS A CANCEROUS POLYP BUT NOT A SESSILE, A BROCOLLI SPEAR WITH THE SO CALLED CANCER NOT INFILTRATING THE MUSCULARIOUS.

ONLY TO HAVE MY CANCER SURGEON HOLD A TUMOR MEETING ABOUT ME AND TOLD THE COLONSCOPY DR. AND LAB PEOPLE THEY WERE WRONG, JUST BY LOOKING AT THE SAME PICS THEY HAD. HE DECLARED IT A SESSILE, 2 MM IN SIZE AND ALSO DECLARED IT BREAKING THROUGH THE MUSCLE. WELL I WILL NOT GO INTO DETAILS, BUT I AM STILL DISGUSTED ABOUT THIS. THEY WENT ON TO TAKE OUT MY PARA THYROID GLANDS AND THRYOID AND 5 MONTHS LATER WE DID ANOTHER COLONOSCOPY AND SURE ENOUGH 6 OUT 10 NODES AND COLON CANCER 3.

YOU ASKED, I DID NOT WANT TO SCARE YOU, BUT WARN YOU, UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE ABOUT YOUR LAB EFFICIENCY, YOUR COLONSCOPY TECH AND AN ONCOLOGIST DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED, ALSO GET ON THEM QUICK DO NOT WAIT FOR THEM TO HANG YOU UP. SESSILE POLYPS CAN TURN INTO CANCER FASTER THAN ANY OTHERS.

I HOPE I HAVE HELPED YOU NOW GET ON WITH IT AND DONT WAIT FOR THEM TO CALL YOU, YOU CALL THEM. WHAT TYPE OF DOCTOR IS THIS, WHAT TYPE OF HOSPITAL LAB IS DOING THIS.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU
MY BATTLE WITH CANCER BEGAN IN 2006. BREAST 1. THYROID 1, COLON 3 AND NOW LIVER 4. HAVE BEEN ON FOLFOX SINCE LAST YEAR. I NOW AM STARTING MY 5TH YEAR IN 2011. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I MIGHT GO ON FOR 3 MORE YEARS. IT IS IN GOD'S HANDS.

garbovatwin

Postby garbovatwin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:49 am

curious wrote:I had a colonoscopy this week and my doctor removed what he said to be a 15mm benign appearing sessile polyp from my rectum. I'm awaiting the biopsy results. I was curious to know how many of you were told initially that your polyp appeared to be benign, but then found out following a biopsy that it was actually malignant.

There is really no way to tell until the biopsy results.
I have a cluster of them in my recto-sigmoid area that they have biopsied twice in the past 9 months and they are still benign.

Good luck

jamiana
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

JAZZToo

Postby JAZZToo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 am

Sbstantial

Do you have a family history (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) of colon and endometrial cancers? Sessile polyps are common in HNPCC (hereditary nonpolyposal colon cancer) and colon cancers in people with these genetic mutations can develop very rapidly within 6 mos to 18 mos; whereas random colon cancer usually takes over 5 years to 10 years to develop from a polyp.

JAZZ
1995 TAH BSO endometrial cancer
2003 R hemi-colectomy for Stage III colon cancer
HNPCC PMS2 mutation

MariaMaria

Postby MariaMaria » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:18 pm

I had a sessile polyp in my rectosigmoid colon that turned out to be cancerous. The only way you'll know for certain one way or another is for the final pathology report to say benign or cancer. Hang in, stay positive, and I'm hoping the best for you!

Maria

Polarprincess

Postby Polarprincess » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:19 am

i had a 3cm sessile appearing polyp that they were 100% sure was benign. It ended up having a stalk and did have a T1 cancer in it. However, the likelihood of a 3 cm polyp having cancer is much greater than a 15 mm one, so i think there is a pretty good chance you may have caught yours in time. good luck
Last edited by Polarprincess on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 y/o Diagnosed Stage IIIa (T1 N1 of 26 M0) July 2008
LAR July 24 2008
Supposedly benign polyp with
invasive tubulovillous adenocarcinoma
12 cycles Fulfox
28 days chemoradiation
Finished April 20th 2009
Currently NED

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Great news! My polyp turned out to be benign! Thank God!
Yes, I have HNPCC. I was diagnosed with colon cancer when I was 27 (I am now 49). I had a colon resection at the time and have had annual colonoscopies. I have approx. 1 foot of my colon. I was also diagnosed with cervical cancer (of the endometrial type) when I was 36 (following a hysterectomy)...and I had pelvic radiation treatment for that. I had a petscan in February and it showed a couple enlarged lymph nodes near the head of my pancreas, so I was really concerned when my doctor found a polyp during my recent colonoscopy. I'm having another petscan this week to see if there is any change to the nodes. If the lymph nodes are still enlarged, they may need to be biopsied. Not sure how they will biopsy them since they are near the head of my pancreas...sounds kinda scary to me.
Thank you all for your replies to my post.

Steph494
Facebook Username: Stephanie whitehurst

Postby Steph494 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:06 am

Hi I'm new to this forum. years ago I had a rectal polyp removed which the results got lost. Recently I've just had another sessile polyp removed 6mm. It was removed from the same place as the last one. My dad has lynch syndrome which I am waiting to get tested for also. He has had bowel chance 3 times and has a colostomy bag and has had skin cancer too.. I have a feeling I will have the lynch syndrome. It is such a worry because if I do have lynch syndrome then there is a chance that I could pass it on to my 3 children. I had the first polyp in my 20's and I'm turning 31 this year which they see me being young to have these problems

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”