colon mass detected during pelvic exam...?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Frinnie1234

colon mass detected during pelvic exam...?

Postby Frinnie1234 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 am

So I went to my gyno for some pelvic pain and some other hormonal issues, and during the pelvic exam she detected a golf ball sized "mass" in my colon..it definitely hurt when she pressed on it..the next step is to do a laxative cleanse and to come back and, I suppose, do another pelvic exam, to see if the "mass" is still there? So, I'm thinking that there's a possibility that this "mass" could simply be poop? Obviously, the word MASS freaks me out. When I asked my gyno if this is something I should be worried about she said, "it is what it is" :?

Also, I had an ultrasound prior to the pelvic exam to check my ovaries and uterus, which were totally fine, and obviously didn't pick up on the mass, because the tech wasn't looking for it, my doc only detected it during the pelvic exam.

Does anyone here have any experience like this? What is your interpretation of the word "mass"??

Pemba

Re: colon mass detected during pelvic exam...?

Postby Pemba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Why did the doctor not pop a finger in the bum and feel, if they said it was from the colon/rectal ?

I had a turnus/trainee doctor making a gynecological examination on me where she said she could feel something, but it was properly pop and if I would like for the real doctor to come in and check. Of cause I said yes and the doctor teach her the next time she had doubt she should just pop a finger in my bum to feel I had any constipaitet poo stuck, witch I had. And I have later felt my own pre/post poo vagina when taking some vaginal lactocares.

I hope it is nothing and sorry if OP is TMI :)
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Frinnie1234 wrote:.. So, I'm thinking that there's a possibility that this "mass" could simply be poop? ... What is your interpretation of the word "mass"?

If this is indeed poop, then the technical term for this condition is fecal impaction, and you could start now by reading up on that topic:

Fecal Impaction
https://www.healthline.com/health/fecal-impaction

If, however, it turns out that the "mass" is a tumor, then one of the first urgent things to do is to find the best, most experienced, Board Certified colorectal surgeon you can find who practices at a high-volume major cancer center. Instructions for doing this can be found here:

How to find a Board Certified Colorectal Surgeon
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52349&p=410280#p410280

How to find an NCI-Designated Cancer Center
https://www.cancer.gov/research/nci-role/cancer-centers/find
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beckster

Postby Beckster » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Frinnie1234 wrote:So I went to my gyno for some pelvic pain and some other hormonal issues, and during the pelvic exam she detected a golf ball sized "mass" in my colon..it definitely hurt when she pressed on it..the next step is to do a laxative cleanse and to come back and, I suppose, do another pelvic exam, to see if the "mass" is still there? So, I'm thinking that there's a possibility that this "mass" could simply be poop? Obviously, the word MASS freaks me out. When I asked my gyno if this is something I should be worried about she said, "it is what it is" :?

Also, I had an ultrasound prior to the pelvic exam to check my ovaries and uterus, which were totally fine, and obviously didn't pick up on the mass, because the tech wasn't looking for it, my doc only detected it during the pelvic exam.

Does anyone here have any experience like this? What is your interpretation of the word "mass"??

My mass was found during a colonoscopy. However, I also just had an ultrasound of my pelvis, looking at my uterus and ovaries. My gyno said that ultrasounds of the pelvis do not pick up a colon mass. Did your gyno give you a rectal exam? If it was me, I would go for a colonoscopy.
57/F
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda
6/17,12/17,6/18,12/18,6/19,12/19,12/20,12/21 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1 9/19 2.6 12/19 2.8 6/20 3.0 12/20 2.7 6/21 2.9,[color=#000000]12/21 2.7[/color]
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17, 11/19,11/21 :D

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm

I would go for a colonoscopy to be on the safe side.*hugs* I'm sorry you're dealing with this!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Dea16

Postby Dea16 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 am

I've had the same happen to me when I went to my very first pelvic exam. But the nurse practitioner then did a rectal exam and found out it was poop. Hopefully that's all it is and nothing more to worry about!

Frinnie1234

Postby Frinnie1234 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:57 pm

So I went back to my gyno for a recheck of this mass supposedly in my colon after I did a laxative cleanse. It was still there. (She did a regular pelvic exam, no rectal exam). She is now having me do a pelvic/abdominal CT scan. I asked the redundant question "will you be the one treating me for this if this is indeed a GI issue?" And she said no, that she was just ordering the CT scan to see what's going on.. She gave me a referral for gastro. I'm still kind of flabbergasted with all of this. I know you all have mentioned colonoscopy, which will be completed by GI, so is my gyno just ruling out gyno issues with the CT, even tho my ultrasound was clean on my uterus and ovaries?? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, I'm new here and appreciate all the advice I can get!

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:23 am

I had my standard pelvic exam in November. The DR always did a finger rectal exam. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in February. I went to the ER because I pools of blood going into the toilet. The doctors there sure could feel it. They had other doctors come in to feel it so they could learn. I had CT, MRI and colonoscopy all within the next few days. I always wonder why my DR did not feel it in November. Was it that fast growing? Who is to say, but at least I got immediate tests when I needed them. You could ask your DR for a referal to a GI DR and get the colonoscopy. I had a colonoscopy in June. All clear. Then I started to have streaks of blood on my stool...DR said internal bleeding hemeroids. But he did the sig scope to put my mind at ease due to my history. I asked for it. Ask for what you want. And be firm. I am glad I have had some extra tests. The peace of mind is much better for my stress level!
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston
8/24 port
8/30 - 4/28 Folfox. 12 rounds
June CT shows new lung Mets.
July/Oct PETs...CLEAR!

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:22 am

Frinnie1234 wrote:... I know you all have mentioned colonoscopy, which will be completed by GI, so is my gyno just ruling out gyno issues with the CT, even tho my ultrasound was clean on my uterus and ovaries?? Any thoughts?...

My thoughts are this: If it is your OB/GYN who is ordering the CT scan, she will be filling out some sort of requisition form to authorize the CT scan. On the requisition form they usually ask which area is to be scanned, and they ask the reason for requesting the scan (see requisition form in link below).

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/frm-00033.pdf

.Normally, the radiologist focuses only on the declared purpose of the scan, but sometimes if he sees something unusual in the scan he may make a comment in the comment section. It depends on the radiologist and the scope of the scan, I think.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”